• Announcements

• Brad Eden

TO THOSE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UJ   01/06/2018

To the Guests who have decided to register for Membership. PLEASE add more info than just  "hunting" or "Upland hunting" or "birds" or "outdoors" or similar nebulous terms in the required INTERESTS field. Despite this Boards strong spam filtering it is not bullet proof, so Spam registrations do sneak through. I need an inkling that you are a warm blooded human being not a Spam Bot tagging onto key words. Thank you.
scottspec2

Birdvan Tour!

Rockdoc
4 hours ago, scottspec2 said:

Rockdoc it has the 5.4 gas engine, and I get 14-16 depending on terrain and such. For comparison, the newer transit vans can get up to 20, which makes for a strong cost vs. mpg argument if you're buying new.

My 2005 Caravan gets 25-27mpg highway and around 22-23mpg in town. If only it had even a minimum of ground clearance it’d be just fine. As it is I’ll often park it and walk back in to an area to check out the road before I attempt it with the Caravan. As far as getting anything new, that ain’t gonna happen, even though I do like those transit vans. I’ve also thought of getting something like your van powered with a small diesel engine. You often see used diesel powered vans for sale on craigslist.

Steve

NECarson
57 minutes ago, Rockdoc said:

I’ve also thought of getting something like your van powered with a small diesel engine. You often see used diesel powered vans for sale on craigslist.

Steve

Just a heads up on those, they frequently have very high hours for the miles. 

Not necessarily a problem, but I wanted to mention it. 

Rockdoc
3 minutes ago, NECarson said:

Just a heads up on those, they frequently have very high hours for the miles. 

Not necessarily a problem, but I wanted to mention it. 

Thanks, and you're right, they probably do idle a lot. I know when I'm traveling in The Behemoth truckers will let their trucks idle all night in rest areas. Fortunately, I can sleep right through it! One thing I'm good at with machines is getting the last squeal out of the pig. My current Caravan has 228K on it and still gets 10K to a quart of oil. Since I use synthetic oil exclusively, that's when I change my oil, when I'm down a quart. The good thing about diesel engines is that the fuel is also a lubricant, of course they run at a hell of a lot higher compression ratio than gasoline engines.

NECarson
3 hours ago, Rockdoc said:

Thanks, and you're right, they probably do idle a lot. I know when I'm traveling in The Behemoth truckers will let their trucks idle all night in rest areas. Fortunately, I can sleep right through it! One thing I'm good at with machines is getting the last squeal out of the pig. My current Caravan has 228K on it and still gets 10K to a quart of oil. Since I use synthetic oil exclusively, that's when I change my oil, when I'm down a quart. The good thing about diesel engines is that the fuel is also a lubricant, of course they run at a hell of a lot higher compression ratio than gasoline engines.

Much higher compression, but also MUCH stouter internal components! 

I play with a lot of diesel engines, and they are impressive little things. People just sometimes forget how much idling those trucks do. It's not too much stress on an engine, but...

fourtrax57

Scottspec,

Very cool & well layed out rig!