Sign in to follow this  
mccuha

Bream flies

mccuha

I have not fished for bream much with a fly rod but when I do I've used just little poppers. I want to start fishing more with my fly rod. I want to know what you guys use. I was was wondering if you used nymphs or any other trout flies to catch them.  Also if you use other type nymphs and such. How do you fish them. 

co_setter

foam spiders and misc beadhead nymphs in size 12-14 are my go tos.......

GregSC

I have had luck with small wooly buggers and wooly worms. Pretty much any small beadhead. Often as not I use pheasant tails. 

mccuha

do you ever drop it off of a popper or spider?

Cooter Brown

Get your hands on some Rubber Legged Dragons.  Developed by the head of the fishing program at Callaway Gardens.

Absolutely deadly on all bream, including shellcrackers.

Work well on carp too.

Also easy to tie if you're set up to do that.

GregSC

I’ve dropped bead heads off about any fly I fish. Usually 18 inches to 2 feet. I’ve found bream will hit an adams dry if there are any insects on service. But they do seem to love those poppers. Might have to give the rubber legged dragons a try. Never have seen them. 

Windrider

For top water I tie poppers with the front have of a size 000 cork with a long shank (3x) size 10 hook.

For subsurface I use a clouser minnow with bead chain eyes on a 3x streamer hook size 10.

The benefit of this size is that you can also catch bass and stripers on this setup.  A 5wt is a good rod for either and they are workable on 3wt in light wind.

Big fun taking stripers as long as your arm on a 5wt and this little clouser.

LabHunter

My go to fly for a number of species is basically a rabbit fur woolly bugger (aka "the super nymph").  I tie in a bunny tail, then loosely dub the shank.  Much quicker than tying a bugger, and works better too.  You can tie them weighted or unweighted.  Works great for trout too.

Trev

john mcg
28 minutes ago, LabHunter said:

My go to fly for a number of species is basically a rabbit fur woolly bugger (aka "the super nymph").  I tie in a bunny tail, then loosely dub the shank.  Much quicker than tying a bugger, and works better too.  You can tie them weighted or unweighted.  Works great for trout too.

Trev

I would like to see that fly. 

mccuha

I would like to see it as well

LabHunter
17 hours ago, mccuha said:

I would like to see it as well

I've tied this fly for the last 20 years or so...all colors, weighted, unweighted, dumbbell eyes, monofilament eyes, etc..

I like just the bunny fur version the most, it's slightly negatively buoyant so it will slowly sink.  All that bunny fur pulses with every twitch, so you don't need to give it much action to entice a strike.

super_nymph.jpg

mccuha

Nice. It looks good.  I will have to get some tied. Thanks for the pic

mcgreg

Have had very good success with this fly, known as a "maybee" fly. It is a slow sinker and works well in and around gill beds and the weed beds out in front of bedding areas. I grabbed a very small mayfly and laid it next to the maybee, then realized what it was named after! I think anyhow. Looking around in fly shops, you can find many variants of these. Good luck!

IMG_2068.JPG

Steve Hunts

Always had good luck with ant imitations fished dry and wet.

MSchafer
On 10/11/2017 at 8:53 AM, mccuha said:

do you ever drop it off of a popper or spider?

I almost always do, beadhead midge, softhackel, anything really, a double on a 1wt is all the fun I can handle.