• Announcements

• Brad Eden

TO THOSE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UJ   01/06/2018

To the Guests who have decided to register for Membership. PLEASE read Terms of Service, not just checking it off. This is covered there: Add more info than just "hunting" or "Upland hunting" or "birds" or "outdoors" or similar nebulous terms in the required INTERESTS field. Despite this Boards strong spam filtering function, some Spam registrations do sneak through. I need an inkling that you are a human being not a Spam Bot tagging onto key words. Also please do not use a business name as your User Name. Thank you.
Sign in to follow this  
mccuha

Bream flies

Okhotnik
On 12/23/2017 at 1:36 PM, mcgreg said:

Have had very good success with this fly, known as a "maybee" fly. It is a slow sinker and works well in and around gill beds and the weed beds out in front of bedding areas. I grabbed a very small mayfly and laid it next to the maybee, then realized what it was named after! I think anyhow. Looking around in fly shops, you can find many variants of these. Good luck!

IMG_2068.JPG

its been my experience tying and fishing flies for many years that exagerated or more visual segmentation in the abdomen area in flies seems to help with more strikes . but i may be crazy

this fly looks like it will work. I tie a similar soft hackle midge pattern using moose mane for segmentation and it is a killer pattern for bream, bass, pressured  trout, steelhead

Huntschool

I use a fly that was originated by the Story guys at Feathercraft in St. Louis.  Its a lightly hackled wolly bugger of sorts called a crackle back.  You can dress it and fish it dry or get it wet and slide it below the surface or, tie it with the weight bead head for the depth you need.  I have taken some big blue gills working the beds and free casting on still water.  I also have done well with very small Clouser type stuff tied on 14-18 hooks.  It takes a bit of work to tie but they do work 

Our gills on farm ponds around here really like yellow stuff, yellow Sally's etc especially in the evening about an hour before sunset..... as we say, about the time the bats show up.  They are feeding on yellow may fly hatches and action can be fanatic...

TimJ

Gartside sparrows have become my go to panfish fly. They can be tied with a beadhead when the fish are deeper or weightless so it just barely goes under the surface. They look like anything from a minnow to a dragonfly nymph depending on how fast and deep it's fished. It can be surprising how many bass will hit these even in small sizes.

Tim