NECarson

Your first "High End" gear?

NECarson

So after a conversation with the wife, I got to thinking about the "stuff" I've bought for my hobbies...

What was the first high end bit of bird hunting gear you got? Not just quality gear, above "barely good enough", but something definitely nicer than you need, that you got because you liked it and wanted it? 

It was a knife for me. Can't even really say what made me decide I needed to buy a $140 knife, and order a $200 something set of handles for it, but for some reason I did... Benchmade Doug Ritter model Griptilian, with G10 and carbon fiber scales. 

DennisMcFeely

20gauge Aya #2.  Got caught up in the SxS fever and had some money burning a hole in my pocket. 

mister grouse

Used browning  superposed in 1973 from a fellow in Montana who was liquidating his late fathers collection of fine guns and cane fly rods.  If i knew then what I know now I would have spent every cent I had that day and would have borrowed to have bought more.  Right place at right time but without the funds to hit a grand slam.  

The gun I bought is still in my closet.  It  this seen the bird country  of the US .

Brad Eden

Weatherby Orion O/U 20 gauge shotgun. Thought it would rock my world after years of utilitarian do everything pumps and semis. It didn't....but it did set me on the road of double guns, all pretty much off the shelf but decent ones.

lee sykes

I think that for me at least, bird hunting has never been about the gear.  "A dog, a gun and time enough" to quote the late George Bird Evans.  I am so happy just to be out there, That sums it up.  I have replaced the old sheep bell with a training collar and beeper for the added safety they provide for the dog but other than dry boots and a coat or vest with big pockets, (which I would use with or without actually hunting) there is no gear to be considered. 

River19

Danner boots and Kershaw knife...........

gaberdeen

Garmin alpha, Fox 16g A grade.

Hammergun

Aside from my first dog, I would say my first pair of Orvis Uplander Shooting Gloves and then my first pair of Russell Moccasin Bird Shooter Boots. I am a very lucky guy to have had a gun collector as a father. 

WeeWilly

Hands down it would be a Astro setup for the dogs. It flat out makes hunting stress free with multiple dogs down.

RobH

Pair of Danner Hood Winters.  Originally $260 but got them on sale for $160.  That was in 2008.  Danner just re-released them.  Great boots but now $300 plus. 

PartridgeCartridge

I don't even know where to start. Would a $30,000.00 shotgun count?

Boat dr

1903 DSE Lefever in 20 bore.............

IMG_3011.JPG

IMG_3030.JPG

dogrunner
30 minutes ago, PartridgeCartridge said:

No that is overkill and only needed over the pond for eye candy and looking stylish with all the other the stuff you would be wearing. 😉

DennisMcFeely
56 minutes ago, PartridgeCartridge said:

Only if it was your first.  If so then yes.  Probably.

terrym

My first expensive ( for my $$) shotgun bought brand new was a Citori Upland Special 12g with 24" bbl and invectors. I was a hare/beagle hunter then and it served me well. When I moved to  a pointing dog I found I didn't do so well with it and sold it a couple years ago for exactly what I paid for it 30yrs ago.