FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
E.Young

Weekend Warrior Vehicle

E.Young

What's the move on a weekend warrior vehicle? Maximum off-roading would be lightly-rutted state forest roads and farm access roads, some snow, etc. My 2010 Tacoma is an access cab, and putting a car seat in the back of the cab is not the best solution - so I'm looking for something reasonably nice and very dependable as a daily driver and road-tripper, with enough capability to get my to the birds for a few months a year and enough capacity to fit my camping and hunting gear, dogs, and a hunting buddy. Prefer to buy used, max budget of around $30k, would prefer a bit less. I live in the city and having a truck as an auxiliary vehicle is not an option. 

I've thought about the Jeep Grand Cherokees, but I can't get past Chrysler dependability. 

EDIT: I'd probably prefer to not get a wagon, as I don't like stooping over all the time getting things/people in/out. 

NECarson

I'm not of much help, but I do have a curious question...

Why isn't a truck an option because of living in the city?

Although to be helpful to the original question, the newer Jeeps have a very good reliability track record.

Clueless1

4Runner.

E.Young

Well, I'm not ruling out a truck as a primary vehicle (thinking of a crew-cab F150), but having a third vehicle between two drivers brings some added complications. My neighborhood does not having garages, alleys, driveways, or parking lots. For a third vehicle, fees jump up quite a bit, it becomes difficult get a zoned parking permit in my neighborhood, which is street parking only and 99% zoned, it has to be moved pretty regularly for both street parking regulations and street cleaning. I think it would just be a headache. 

NECarson
14 minutes ago, Clueless1 said:

4Runner.

Brilliant!

They are excellent vehicles.

NECarson
13 minutes ago, E.Young said:

Well, I'm not ruling out a truck as a primary vehicle (thinking of a crew-cab F150), but having a third vehicle between two drivers brings some added complications. My neighborhood does not having garages, alleys, driveways, or parking lots. For a third vehicle, fees jump up quite a bit, it becomes difficult get a zoned parking permit in my neighborhood, which is street parking only and 99% zoned, it has to be moved pretty regularly for both street parking regulations and street cleaning. I think it would just be a headache. 

Ok, that makes sense. I read it as "I live in the city and can't have a truck (at all)!

For a half ton, the F150 would definitely be my pick. And yeah, if you have one, a truck for a third vehicle when you don't need a truck makes no sense.

UplandHntr

an Outback seems to fit your requests if you can get past the stooping part. Small ride for the city yet capable of 2 trax and easy for reaching car seats.

Chukarman
1 hour ago, E.Young said:

What's the move on a weekend warrior vehicle? Maximum off-roading would be lightly-rutted state forest roads and farm access roads, some snow, etc. My 2010 Tacoma is an access cab, and putting a car seat in the back of the cab is not the best solution - so I'm looking for something reasonably nice and very dependable as a daily driver and road-tripper, with enough capability to get my to the birds for a few months a year and enough capacity to fit my camping and hunting gear, dogs, and a hunting buddy. Prefer to buy used, max budget of around $30k, would prefer a bit less. I live in the city and having a truck as an auxiliary vehicle is not an option. 

I've thought about the Jeep Grand Cherokees, but I can't get past Chrysler dependability. 

EDIT: I'd probably prefer to not get a wagon, as I don't like stooping over all the time getting things/people in/out. 

An older V8 Landcruiser or LX470 is WAY better than a Jeep Cherokee. Smooth, good power, not too big, but with plenty of "dog and gear room", and... dependable.

TJK68

Subaru Forester, Great vehicles...

E.Young
31 minutes ago, Chukarman said:

An older V8 Landcruiser or LX470 is WAY better than a Jeep Cherokee. Smooth, good power, not too big, but with plenty of "dog and room", and... dependable.

Yeah, I've been eyeing those as well as the GXs - air ride suspension seems to be a concern for many, but changing to coil over suspension isn't a huge ordeal.

Subarus appeal to me a lot, but I haven't driven a Forester newer than about 2002. My uncle has a recent Outback and I feel fairly squished in it - doesn't feel much larger than my wife's Prius - but I will admit to not having driven one. The gas mileage is very appealing, though. Very appealing.

25/06

My mom an one of the architect I work with have the 2014'ish FJ cruisers.

Architect is a die hard bird hunter and his FJ has a 6 speed manual which is not offered in many vehicle any more.

If you are not hauling a bunch of people or dogs FJ could work... They do have that Access door for the back passengers.

They seem to have good off road clearance

just a thought

Tom Avent
52 minutes ago, E.Young said:

Yeah, I've been eyeing those as well as the GXs - air ride suspension seems to be a concern for many, but changing to coil over suspension isn't a huge ordeal.

Subarus appeal to me a lot, but I haven't driven a Forester newer than about 2002. My uncle has a recent Outback and I feel fairly squished in it - doesn't feel much larger than my wife's Prius - but I will admit to not having driven one. The gas mileage is very appealing, though. Very appealing.

Currently, I have a 2004 GX with 225,000 miles on it. Previously, I had a 1999 Landcruiser which I sold with 280,000 miles. Initially, I thought I was going to regret keeping the GX instead of the Landcruiser. The GX can go anywhere I need it to go, and everywhere the Landcruiser went.

rideold

sequoia or 4runner.  4runners will be more expensive for the year and mileage compared to a sequoia if you are looking older.  Newer they are all expensive.  3rd row seats in the sequoia are nice if you have a crowd (e.g. kids and their friends).  an 03-07 is the year range if you are wanting an older one.  Lots of opinions about the sequoia but I've had good luck and am happy with mine.  we have an 02 sequoia and an 08 4runner.  Can't complain about either.

Windrider

If you are going used and don't like Jeep, Id look at these:

Nissan Xterra 2010-2015 (stay away from 2005-2009 due to a radiator issue). Depreciates quickly and runs forever.  Pro4x versions have a rear locker.

Toyota 4Runner: runs forever, especially the mid 90s to early 2000s model.  Have a buddy with 482k on his and it doesn't even burn oil.  Been in the shop like twice for wear items like front CVs on his 4wd.  The thing will not die!

Toyota FJs are underpowered and hard to see out of.  I almost bought one when I got the Xterra, but I figured I'd pull out in front of or over into someone.  However, I'm on the small side of average, your mileage may vary.

rideold
4 minutes ago, Windrider said:

Toyota 4Runner: runs forever, especially the mid 90s to early 2000s model.  Have a buddy with 482k on his and it doesn't even burn oil.

Can't beat a third generation 4runner!  Getting hard to find them now but Toyota sure did something right with that series.  Hoping our fourth generation is as long running!  I've heard rumblings that the fifth generation is not as long lived but I guess time will tell.