FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
E.Young

Weekend Warrior Vehicle

WPG Gizmo

I had a 2003 4Runner great off and on road vehicle but had issues with frame rust now my brother has it.  I now have a Jeep JK 2dr works great for me with the rear seat removed easily fits gear and 2 dogs if I needed more room I would look at the JK Unlimited either way there is an incredible amount of aftermarket parts for Jeeps and you could set it up anyway you can imagine. 

E.Young

Thanks for all the quick suggestions, guys!

I've had a three T4Rs in the past - wouldn't hesitate to buy one again, but always interested in trying something new. The Xterras are an interesting thought - I love the look, for sure. 

Don't get me wrong, I love the GCs and the JK Unlimiteds - I'd love to have either one, but I feel like everyone I know has a sob story about their Jeep giving out or costing a fortune. 

martyg
29 minutes ago, E.Young said:

Thanks for all the quick suggestions, guys!

I've had a three T4Rs in the past - wouldn't hesitate to buy one again, but always interested in trying something new. The Xterras are an interesting thought - I love the look, for sure. 

Don't get me wrong, I love the GCs and the JK Unlimiteds - I'd love to have either one, but I feel like everyone I know has a sob story about their Jeep giving out or costing a fortune. 

E - I have a 4Runner with 250K on it. It just keeps going. I've thought of replacing it with a Porsche Cayenne but can't imagine treating the Cayenne like I treat the 4Runner. Nothing about it is spectacular except that it just gets the job done every time, regardless if I am on the highway all day or on a sketchy Colorado jeep trail. I pulled the rear seats completely out to better fit kennels. I run Bridgestone AT Duelers on it.

Bought a GTI for winter driving and to get my sports car fix. The 4Runner is for hauling dogs, firewood and gunkholing.

bullseyebill

I'll play devils advocate. My 2011 Grand Cherokee has been practically flawless.

I only have 75,000 miles, but it's been the best vehicle I've owned.

Millriver

Don't rule out the possibility of a pick-up. I have a Chevy Silverado crew cab, full 4 doors, not loaded but still the nicest vehicle I've owned. Fold up the back seat and the crate fits nicely in there. All my gear goes in the bed under the tonneau cover.

Still use it like a truck, rides like a car. Clean it up for date night, we've had 6 adults in it for an hour ride for a concert. Nav system, satellite radio, remote start. Now put a car seat in it when we babysit our nephew, far better than bending over. I have never had a vehicle so practical.

Good luck with your search.

Oriongs

2002 chevy S-10, Zr2, V6, 5 spd manual, 4 wd, pre-dented, rusted, scratched up.  Equipped with, 2 way radio, Astro GPS 320, to laptop using Basecamp dog tracking software, 3.500# winch mountable, front or rear, 31.5 x 15 AT tires, 36 inch LED light bar, rear facing  box loading lights and orange rotating warning lights, (Used when the chase approaches or crosses blacktop highways). Additionally, tool box containing, 2 ton small floor jack, 2 safety jack stands, chain saw, towing straps, snatch-block, battery charger, tire pump, 3,500# winch, skunk out, extra oil: for chain saw & truck, extra gas (2 gal's).    Cost way too much to maintain, knowing you can  go just about anywhere and handle just about anything;  Priceless!!

Donald P Krueger

Orion Guide Service & Gun Dog Training

20170906_064210 (3).jpg

E.Young
On 10/14/2017 at 7:39 AM, Millriver said:

Don't rule out the possibility of a pick-up. I have a Chevy Silverado crew cab, full 4 doors, not loaded but still the nicest vehicle I've owned. Fold up the back seat and the crate fits nicely in there. All my gear goes in the bed under the tonneau cover.

Still use it like a truck, rides like a car. Clean it up for date night, we've had 6 adults in it for an hour ride for a concert. Nav system, satellite radio, remote start. Now put a car seat in it when we babysit our nephew, far better than bending over. I have never had a vehicle so practical.

Good luck with your search.

That's a good point, and I'm not. I did recently have a rental 2018 Ram while my truck was having some work done, and it didn't fit into one of the parking garages I park in for work, but I did thoroughly enjoying being back in a full-size for a week. 

Nasty-G

Suburban.      I have a 99 my son found for me in Idaho. No rust. 110,000 & runs like a sewing machine. . 

steveziv

When I passed my second XC70 along to my daughter this spring I was ready for a change, even though the XC70/90's remain pretty much perfect for my suburbanite needs.

First I test drove a Hyundai Santa Fe and really liked it.  Lots of bells and whistles, posh interior, good performance.  Did not like the $400+/mo lease payment.  Apparently Hyundai's are no longer the cheap car with the long warranty (I guess that's KIA now).

Next I drove the Outback, which I knew made sense; economical, affordable, reliable, great reputation in bad conditions, lots of room.  I took the salesman for a spirited run through some back roads, talked about grouse hunting (he actually gave me a hot spot) and pulled back in the dealership.  He asked, "What do you think?"  I replied honestly, "That was unremarkable".  The Outback was DQ'ed.

I had the chance to drive a 4Runner as a rental over the winter and found it to be a less than stimulating driving experience.  Same with the Explorer I drove.

The Outback, 4Runner and Explorer all offered more room and utility but in the end I went with The Ultimate Driving Experience.

I ended up buying a '14 BMW X3 for my daily driver.  It is an absolute blast to drive both city and highway.  I just put on a 3500# hitch for my duck boat.  This fall I'll find out if it can fulfill my minimal "off-road" needs; gravel roads, state forest roads, grassy road side parking.  My only regret is not stretching my budget a little for the more roomy X5.

Chops
On 10/12/2017 at 10:04 AM, NECarson said:

Brilliant!

They are excellent vehicles.

This x3

I too had an access cab Taco until I had kids and then moved to 4Runners.  Had a couple of 3rd gens and now drive a 4th gen.  They've all been great and have gone over 200k miles with ust regular maintenance.