FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
MAArcher

Some first light fun

MAArcher

The saving grace of my bird hunting has been a little pass shooting spot I have between two beaver ponds.  Half the time the dog and I spend together during the fall is taken in quick 45 minute hunts at first light before work.  If it wasn't for this little spot right down the street our fall harvest would be much, much less.   The ducks didn't fly great this morning, the ones that were close enough to kill were there and gone quicker than I could get a bead on them.  But it was still a pleasant morning and I knocked down a drake woodie.  And it is very rare at this spot for the geese to come in early.  Today they came in low and slow, which gave me the opportunity to knock a couple down.  I should have had three but one needed a quick follow up shot.  It was nice to hunt alone today.  No newbies tagging along to skybust.  Very relaxing and the first waterfowl pot pies of the season are now on the menu.  

That look on Annie's face?  That's her watching the mallards coming in behind me while I had a cell phone and an empty gun in my hands. (D'Oh!)

Annie Geese 2017.JPG

Rick Hall

Sounds like you've a pretty sweet situation.  Not many waterfowlers can slip a hunt in before work.

Bloodhound

Wow...hunting before work!  You live a charmed life!

MAArcher

The bad news is that I visited this spot the other day and its covered in survey tap.  If the housing market stays strong, it will be covered in McMansions in the next couple of years.  

Rick Hall

And so it goes.  There are way the hell too many of us.

charlo slim
22 hours ago, MAArcher said:

The bad news is that I visited this spot the other day and its covered in survey tap.  If the housing market stays strong, it will be covered in McMansions in the next couple of years.  

7 hours ago, Rick Hall said:

And so it goes.  There are way the hell too many of us

So..... Rick, surely you do not mean to imply that we are actually a major part of the overall problem.  I mean what about all those despicable and blood-thirsty wolves, grizzlies, cougars,  feral hogs, rattlesnakes, etc, etc, that are constantly trying to kill us and our dogs??:(

alights.jpg

Cooter Brown
On 11/4/2017 at 1:04 PM, charlo slim said:

So..... Rick, surely you do not mean to imply that we are actually a major part of the overall problem.  I mean what about all those despicable and blood-thirsty wolves, grizzlies, cougars,  feral hogs, rattlesnakes, etc, etc, that are constantly trying to kill us and our dogs??:(

alights.jpg

If those critters were any good at their jobs we wouldn't have an overpopulation problem.

charlo slim
53 minutes ago, Cooter Brown said:

If those critters were any good at their jobs we wouldn't have an overpopulation problem.

I figure the ticks are gonna take care of business.

Tim Frazier

The first time I flew at night in the Life Flight Helicopter on a clear night over a "rural" area it was heart break.  One time we went up to 4000 feet which was rare for us and with the exception of the Ohio/Pa line it was blinding!

Back to the OP.  That is awesome and a place to be cherished!  I am getting a little squeezed as well on the creek behind the farm house by a new neighbor.  Years of great memories though and I will squeeze in a few more I think!

sprocket
On 11/3/2017 at 2:00 PM, MAArcher said:

Lost my spot to Greenbelt...

sprocket

I'd love to know how many permits are issued per year - I'll bet zero