• Announcements

• Brad Eden

WELCOME NEW UJ MEMBERS   06/25/2017

It seems the word is out and UJ is enjoying a steady stream of newly Registered Members. Welcome to all of you, and we are all looking forward to your positive participation. I strongly suggest you review the Board Guidelines that have been in place since 2002. The most significant thing being that UJ is a NO POLITICS BOARD. LInk:  UJ BOARD GUIDELINES   Also UJ stays afloat mainly through Member Donations. Once a Donation is made you are placed in the Contributing Member Group with extra Priviliges. I am getting very few new Donations so hopefully this will spur that on a bit. Link:  New Members/Donations/Priviliges
Sign in to follow this  
Randy S

Oklahoma's August Quail Survey

mccuha

Not surprised. Have heard about the same in Texas. We shall see first hand in about a month and half for me

charlo slim

Hmmmm..... not what I am hearing from kith and kin in southwest OK.  But then again, I thought '14 (~9 quail / route) & '15 (~ 7 qpr)  were on par with '16 (~28 qpr !!), and stellar!  Go figure. 

Britlab

I will be there in about a month.  After a shift from SD to Ok, I thought I was covered.  You never know. 

Bill Calton

I have a quail lease in south central Oklahoma.  The survey shows 0.00 birds per route there.  I guess I won't bother to go.

Slightly more seriously, I have had the lease for several years and have never seen a covey on a county road, and very few birds on a ranch road.

I'm sure they do the survey as a PR thing.  I think it is clearly a waste of time and money.  I have a clays trap on a utility trailer 4/10's of a mile from the gate at the dead end of a county road.  I have been shooting about 4 times per week  this summer for fun as well as preparing for the quail season.  There are 2 coveys of blue quail (one is pretty impressive) and one covey of bobs near the 2-track from the gate to the trap.  Some days I see all 3 both going and leaving.  Some days I don't see any.   So if I take a guest and we don't see any, which has happened, he would probably say it's a poor season.  OTOH if we see all the birds in all 3 coveys he would be suitably impressed and think WOW.  And probably hoping for an invitation.

HAMMER DOG

I'm gonna say from what I've observed during dove season and scouting for deer season the counts are unfortunately correct best I have seen, and that's not driving county roads which is actually a fairly reliable count, and when it's good people always believe it but when it's bad that discount it. We have seen this time and again since they extended the season into February several years ago as anyone who lives here can tell you, one maybe two if we're lucky fairly good years followed by 3-5 bad years while populations try to build back up from the late season kill off that the biologists told them would happen but the powers that be did not listen. The weather this year could not have been more perfect to have a great population, no massive heat wave, no flooding rains in peak season, great production of vegetal and insect food sources, honestly just perfect and 15-20 years ago we would have been looking at a 15-20 covey/day average, this year I would say at best half that in good areas but most likely 1/3 that number in the majority of good places.

BIGSP

I'm typically one of the guys that believes the scientists on this type of stuff.  That being said, the biologist the area I go to did say he thought numbers might be better than the counts suggested because the cover was so good in many areas like Hammer Dog said and some may have been missed.  The caretaker of the land we lease was out deer scouting the other night and saw 14 coveys in 1.5 hours of driving around.  All I know is I will be out there a few times this winter.  Grouse hunting in Michigan has sucked so bad I surely hope the quail hunting isn't as bad.

mccuha

Talked to guys in different parts of tx. They said they saw tons of pairs but saw little to none chicks. Said they did have hatches but the heat later in the summer  they believe did a lot of them in.   Said that there will be birds just no where near like we've had in the last few years. I will be there   They still have more than I have in sc

Abu65

I got a good report for west Oklahoma. But it was from a friend of a friend. Although they haven't lied to me yet. 

john mcg

I heard that quail numbers in Oklahoma are up 20%.

That made me smile a bunch.

BIGSP

Where did you hear that?  The roadside counts were way down across the state.

john mcg
24 minutes ago, BIGSP said:

Where did you hear that?  The roadside counts were way down across the state.

Believe it was someone on an Oklahoma forum.

I’ve heard or read several differing reports.

Take one and run with it.

:-)

Oops I got my wires (quotes) crossed.

An Oklahoman said a 20 year high this year.

HAMMER DOG

20 YEAR HIGH THIS YEAR??? he must have been high when he said that. O.o

john mcg
46 minutes ago, HAMMER DOG said:

20 YEAR HIGH THIS YEAR??? he must have been high when he said that. O.o

Over the last couple of years, have the springtime temps and precipitation been favorable to quail?

HAMMER DOG

Yes but its more a combination of the summer temps and timing of spring rains to set the eggs properly, get good forb and insect production and not cook the chicks, this year was a good year in all aspects despite the lack of rains in late summer.