• Announcements

• Brad Eden

WELCOME NEW UJ MEMBERS   06/25/2017

It seems the word is out and UJ is enjoying a steady stream of newly Registered Members. Welcome to all of you, and we are all looking forward to your positive participation. I strongly suggest you review the Board Guidelines that have been in place since 2002. The most significant thing being that UJ is a NO POLITICS BOARD. LInk:  UJ BOARD GUIDELINES   Also UJ stays afloat mainly through Member Donations. Once a Donation is made you are placed in the Contributing Member Group with extra Priviliges. I am getting very few new Donations so hopefully this will spur that on a bit. Link:  New Members/Donations/Priviliges
Sign in to follow this  
Randy S

Oklahoma's August Quail Survey

john mcg
19 minutes ago, HAMMER DOG said:

Yes but its more a combination of the summer temps and timing of spring rains to set the eggs properly, get good forb and insect production and not cook the chicks, this year was a good year in all aspects despite the lack of rains in late summer.

I believe this fella may have been projecting this year based on a 2015 report and the conditions since.

Anyway--I don't have a clue. Heck, I didn't know which way was up regarding the Grouse numbers where I lived in NH--never mind this alien western stuff.

LOL

HAMMER DOG

I hear ya, FWIW we have seen this run both ways, I have seen great reports both from the August and October road counts and when season hit zilch, zero, nada, that was 2012 to a tee. I have seen other years it went the opposite but MUCH more often the first scenario, I trust what I see myself and a few others in areas we know well as to what the overall season is going to look like and right now it's just not looking up, some areas definitely worse than others.

john mcg
4 minutes ago, HAMMER DOG said:

I hear ya, FWIW we have seen this run both ways, I have seen great reports both from the August and October road counts and when season hit zilch, zero, nada, that was 2012 to a tee. I have seen other years it went the opposite but MUCH more often the first scenario, I trust what I see myself and a few others in areas we know well as to what the overall season is going to look like and right now it's just not looking up, some areas definitely worse than others.

Yup--I reckon that is what it comes down to.

What is is what is and the only way to know what is is by seeing what is.

BIGSP

I'll be out there at least 3 times this winter chasing birds.  Hopefully there's enough to keep us happy for a few days each time.  Grouse numbers in MI have not been good this year so, I hope I can at leasts find some quail here and there.

Coveyrise64

The local bird dog had the ODWC Upland Game Biologist as a guest speaker last night. The follow up roadside count for October won't be made public for a few more days but he did share the news with those in attendance. Probably not the news everyone wanted to hear but the October count wasn't any better than evidenced by the August counts. The northwest was down approximately 73% and the southwest is down about 68% from last year. He still maintains there is a lot of cover in the ditches and hopes those numbers come up some but to expect numbers below the 10 yr average. 

cr  

john mcg
9 minutes ago, Coveyrise64 said:

The local bird dog had the ODWC Upland Game Biologist as a guest speaker last night. The follow up roadside count for October won't be made public for a few more days but he did share the news with those in attendance. Probably not the news everyone wanted to hear but the October count wasn't any better than evidenced by the August counts. The northwest was down approximately 73% and the southwest is down about 68% from last year. He still maintains there is a lot cover in the ditches and hopes those numbers come up some but to expect numbers below the 10 yr average. 

cr  

Bummer—still, if Tucker and I scare up a few birds, we will be content...and then there is Kansas.

HAMMER DOG
15 hours ago, Coveyrise64 said:

The local bird dog had the ODWC Upland Game Biologist as a guest speaker last night. The follow up roadside count for October won't be made public for a few more days but he did share the news with those in attendance. Probably not the news everyone wanted to hear but the October count wasn't any better than evidenced by the August counts. The northwest was down approximately 73% and the southwest is down about 68% from last year. He still maintains there is a lot of cover in the ditches and hopes those numbers come up some but to expect numbers below the 10 yr average. 

cr  

Those numbers go pretty close to what I have seen in the NW quadrant, mainly Panhandle area, and those I know SW have seen as well unfortunately. I rely a bunch on the call count I hear as well as what I see with my own eyes and I have definitely heard far fewer calls this year than the last two, much closer to four years ago and we all know what that was like, still better than 6 years ago but nowhere close to what we consider even a good year let alone a great year, I'll probably hunt more with a camera than a gun again this year like a did during those years of the drought and recovery.

Coveyrise64
4 hours ago, HAMMER DOG said:

Those numbers go pretty close to what I have seen in the NW quadrant, mainly Panhandle area, and those I know SW have seen as well unfortunately. I rely a bunch on the call count I hear as well as what I see with my own eyes and I have definitely heard far fewer calls this year than the last two, much closer to four years ago and we all know what that was like, still better than 6 years ago but nowhere close to what we consider even a good year let alone a great year, I'll probably hunt more with a camera than a gun again this year like a did during those years of the drought and recovery.

The ODWC does covey counts on WMA's but they don't release that information to the public. He has approx. 19 left to do before the season opens. With very limited resources I doubt that will get done and the results probably aren't very reliable if the areas are large units. He arrives 30 minutes before sunrise and listens for the birds to whistle coming off the roost. Can't be windy either as the normal distance a whistle can be heard is about 450 yds.

john mcg
24 minutes ago, Coveyrise64 said:

The ODWC does covey counts on WMA's but they don't release that information to the public. He has approx. 19 left to do before the season opens. With very limited resources I doubt that will get done and the results probably aren't very reliable if the areas are large units. He arrives 30 minutes before sunrise and listens for the birds to whistle coming off the roost. Can't be windy either as the normal distance a whistle can be heard is about 450 yds.

I'm looking forward to hearing additional reports.

For giggles a spent several hours today driving west of here to eyeball the surroundings. To my untrained I, I see lots of stuff that 'looks like' it would make birds happy. Operative word there is untrained.

:-)

HAMMER DOG
17 hours ago, Coveyrise64 said:

The individual WMAs biologists do call counts every year, I have been out on Beaver several times doing them with him in the past as well as Packsaddle and Cooper over the years,  who is this HE you are talking about? I have found call count to be more reliable myself than any road count whether on public or private lands especially when you do morning and evening counts in multiple zones of habitat.

john mcg
22 minutes ago, HAMMER DOG said:

The individual WMAs biologists do call counts every year, I have been out on Beaver several times doing them with him in the past as well as Packsaddle and Cooper over the years,  who is this HE you are talking about? I have found call count to be more reliable myself than any road count whether on public or private lands especially when you do morning and evening counts in multiple zones of habitat.

I've got my eye on Beaver River WMA for our first hunt as it is so close to good Kansas stuff south and west of Liberal.

At any rate, the pictures of that area look gorgeous and I can't hardly wait to see and walk it.

BIGSP
2 hours ago, HAMMER DOG said:

What were the call counts looking like around Beaver?  We have a  lease northeast of Beaver that was real productive last year.  Landowner seems to be seeing plenty of birds this fall so far too.

Allen McCallie

Y'all quit talking about Beaver. It is a terrible place. Bare desert punctuated only by rattlesnakes and sand spurs. Not fit for man or beast. Devoid of quail. Miserably dusty and always hot. A graveyard for hope. Heart attack to any dog who gazes upon it. A fool's errand, to be sure. Get away while you still can. Run, don't walk.

Puff in the Uplands Oklahoma December 2007 064.JPG

Controlled Chaos (Elsie and her pups Junior, Jayzie, and Lucy) Oklahoma December 2007 078.JPG

john mcg

Cupla nice pictures of man and dogs, but I can't help but notice the lack of birds.

Allen McCallie
1 hour ago, john mcg said:

Cupla nice pictures of man and dogs, but I can't help but notice the lack of birds.

Exactly. Those are very forced smiles....

Allen