• Announcements

• Brad Eden

WELCOME NEW UJ MEMBERS   06/25/2017

It seems the word is out and UJ is enjoying a steady stream of newly Registered Members. Welcome to all of you, and we are all looking forward to your positive participation. I strongly suggest you review the Board Guidelines that have been in place since 2002. The most significant thing being that UJ is a NO POLITICS BOARD. LInk:  UJ BOARD GUIDELINES   Also UJ stays afloat mainly through Member Donations. Once a Donation is made you are placed in the Contributing Member Group with extra Priviliges. I am getting very few new Donations so hopefully this will spur that on a bit. Link:  New Members/Donations/Priviliges
Sign in to follow this  
Randy S

Oklahoma's August Quail Survey

john mcg
1 minute ago, Allen McCallie said:

Exactly. Those are very forced smiles....

Allen

I'm still gonna head over there because I need to study up on plant life and such and take pictures of the beautiful landscape.

My setter will enjoy the romp.

HAMMER DOG
On ‎10‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 1:01 PM, BIGSP said:

What were the call counts looking like around Beaver?  We have a  lease northeast of Beaver that was real productive last year.  Landowner seems to be seeing plenty of birds this fall so far too.

Not good by all accounts outside your leaseholders apparently LOL. My family has lived up there since the 70s and my Aunt works for a big guide service on the biggest family land holdings in the county and he is not even setting up camp this year due to counts being below what he considers good enough for sustainability over the season and for next seasons carry over, John is a biologist by degree but bird hunter by heart. I talked to a long time friend who lives in Laverne this weekend and he is just going to concentrate on his NSTRA and other competitions this winter as the counts he has encountered around his area apparently look no better. There are thoughts by many I have talked to that the late summer drought took a bigger toll on chicks than we thought it should have as it was not that hot and we really felt this should have been a banner year from early summer sightings that shows a decent carry over from last year.

john mcg
36 minutes ago, HAMMER DOG said:

Not good by all accounts outside your leaseholders apparently LOL. My family has lived up there since the 70s and my Aunt works for a big guide service on the biggest family land holdings in the county and he is not even setting up camp this year due to counts being below what he considers good enough for sustainability over the season and for next seasons carry over, John is a biologist by degree but bird hunter by heart. I talked to a long time friend who lives in Laverne this weekend and he is just going to concentrate on his NSTRA and other competitions this winter as the counts he has encountered around his area apparently look no better. There are thoughts by many I have talked to that the late summer drought took a bigger toll on chicks than we thought it should have as it was not that hot and we really felt this should have been a banner year from early summer sightings that shows a decent carry over from last year.

Well isn't that just dandy.

:-(

mccuha

texas season opened up this past weekend and from what I'm hearing,( again in general) that they are seeing far less birds than last year.  I've heard the same to that the summer drought took a toll on the chicks.

HAMMER DOG
11 minutes ago, john mcg said:

Well isn't that just dandy.

:-(

Hey there's always hope that the counts are wrong, it's slim but it has happened before, 09 by the counts and pre season, by trainers and guides and average Joes was supposed to be a banner year, I moved many birds in pre season training runs myself, November rolled around and it was as if the Earth opened up and swallowed them all in one big Quail dinner.

john mcg
6 minutes ago, HAMMER DOG said:

Hey there's always hope that the counts are wrong, it's slim but it has happened before, 09 by the counts and pre season, by trainers and guides and average Joes was supposed to be a banner year, I moved many birds in pre season training runs myself, November rolled around and it was as if the Earth opened up and swallowed them all in one big Quail dinner.

The reports/forecasting looks great over the north border, so I have to wonder how much worse can it be on this side toward the west.

http://ksoutdoors.com/Hunting/Upland-Birds/Upland-Bird-Forecast

HAMMER DOG

This is from just over the border from Beaver, goes pretty much hand in hand

Quail – Opportunities will remain good in the region, but hunters should expect lower densities than observed over the past few years. The quail population in this region is highly variable depending on weather. Whistle counts were only half of 2016 counts, following adult mortality from the snowstorm.

BIGSP

I'm sure there will be enough for me to chase around and have some fun.  Our area didn't get the spring snow so maybe we will be slightly above that area :)  I talked with another local last night and he said "there will be enough birds to have plenty of fun".  Oh well, it's just a tough year of bird hunting across the country unfortunately.

HAMMER DOG

The ODWC sent out an email today that stated, at the ten year average, not real exact but kinda what I have come to expect from them. Now those who live here KNOW that the last ten years outside the last two have been what we would call below average to dismal compared to prior decades, we have 5 years of drought, funny the email only said two, some huge range fires in prime areas, some big hail storms and late cold snaps as well as some bad flooding at the definite wrong time as well as the drought and heat. All in all Im gonna call this one from my own and others observations combined with the ODWC counts a 6-9 covey/day year in good areas and a 3-6 in worse areas, not dismal, nor shall ye lose all hope, type of year but sure not a great year by any measure.

OKhunter

Opening day today and it's not looking good.  Hunted western Oklahoma today and found 3 small coveys.  Ended up with 4 birds.  Hopefully everyone else had better luck.  

HAMMER DOG

Managed 8 coveys vs 13 last years opener on the same grounds, public lands were the big difference, only 2 coveys vs 5 and they were smaller coveys. My eye tells me we lost a bunch of the first hatch as there were too many young birds in the coveys that appeared to be under 12 weeks old by size and flight ability and that's not good with this early opening date, something the biologists warned them about when they changed the season. All reports I am seeing on the Facebook Ok Bird Dogs page are running the same horrible to meh, so it looks like the early survey was right after all. The SW appears to be WAY down this year from the reports on it I read with a couple of coveys in a hard days hunt being the best I saw.

Wes the Newbie

Hunted SC Kansas on Saturday on ground I've never hunted on  -- moved 6 coveys of varying sizes with the smallest being 9 birds.   I took 3 birds. 

Hunted NW OK on Sunday and moved 3 coveys -- two very small and one very large.  I didn't fire a shot as the only covey large enough to shoot birds out of was on the edge of the property I was hunting and flushed in that direction.  

Frankly, I was expecting better but I am not ready to call it a season yet.