garyRI

It was banded and retreived this info:

Date 08/28/2017
Species Green-winged Teal
Age HATCHED IN 2017
Sex FEMALE
Location NEAR PERIBONKA, QUÉBEC, CANADA

charlo slim

Very cool. Being the contrarian curmudgeon, Luddite, etc, etc, I have never quite accepted the "trophy""band mania that sometimes seems to run rampant these days (in some circles).  BUT, there is certainly no denying the marvel in finding out where and when these marvelous birds come and go.  Congrats.

dogrunner

It had a short life. Get it mounted with the band on it, my dad and I shot 3 wc with bands and had them mounted all together. 

garyRI
6 hours ago, dogrunner said:

It had a short life. Get it mounted with the band on it, my dad and I shot 3 wc with bands and had them mounted all together. 

I am fine with stringing bands on a call holder. I just don't think fur and feathers last long enough to spend money on. The only thing I had mounted with "fur" is a mountain goat I shot in Alaska in 1970. I gave it to my brother about 20 years ago. The racks from the larger deer I have shot are hung on a rafter in my garage. It is a pretty cool rafter.

NCgrouse
45 minutes ago, garyRI said:

I am fine with stringing bands on a call holder. I just don't think fur and feathers last long enough to spend money on. The only thing I had mounted with "fur" is a mountain goat I shot in Alaska in 1970. I gave it to my brother about 20 years ago. The racks from the larger deer I have shot are hung on a rafter in my garage. It is a pretty cool rafter.

Pics of said rafter?

garyRI

Sorry no pics

I leave my cell in my bucket hunting out of a canoe on a muddy pond. Should have taken the time this time. My Boykin did a great job. Had to slog thru floating mats and mud to retreive the two teal we did get.

Re: having it mounted.

I ate it instead. Puddle duck breasts blackened & rare are one of my favorites.

MAArcher

Congrats on the band.  I shot a banded goose once.  I got it near home and less than a mile from where it was banded several years prior.  I kept the bank on my key ring and then lost my keys at a New Hampshire pheasant stocking site, which closed the next year so I'll probably never see it again.  Bands seem pretty rare to me, keep it safe.

garyRI

I have collected only 3 other bands. Two geese and a mallard when I lived in Acton MA. Those were all banded locally./

Ted Moore

I shot two banded ducks within a half hour of each other last year. They were practically babies as they were banded in July of last year from their nest about a mile from where I was hunting in Massachusetts. And to top it off, they were brothers as their bands were either consecutive or only a digit or two off.  I bet that will never happen in my lifetime again. 

Jazz4Brazo

WCC...alias Born Killer...not sure if I should congratulate you or...whatever...:oxD

Jack L

Very cool. The only band I have is one I inherited from my bro.

Bloodhound

No bands here yet.  I just think its cool to know where they came from and when.

snakeroll

I shot a banded greenwing this October that was banded as an adult 8/27/2014 on L'Isle Verte Ouest, Quebec Canada. Only band I have ever recovered.