• Announcements

• Brad Eden

WELCOME NEW UJ MEMBERS   06/25/2017

It seems the word is out and UJ is enjoying a steady stream of newly Registered Members. Welcome to all of you, and we are all looking forward to your positive participation. I strongly suggest you review the Board Guidelines that have been in place since 2002. The most significant thing being that UJ is a NO POLITICS BOARD. LInk:  UJ BOARD GUIDELINES   Also UJ stays afloat mainly through Member Donations. Once a Donation is made you are placed in the Contributing Member Group with extra Priviliges. I am getting very few new Donations so hopefully this will spur that on a bit. Link:  New Members/Donations/Priviliges
john mcg

Oklahoma Migration

john mcg

Yup--its been awhile. Due to a number of dynamics all family related, we have relocated to Grove, Oklahoma, which is the extreme northeast corner in spitting distance of Kansas, Missouri and Arkansas. Its an interesting area, but I admit that determining where to put Tucker on the ground is daunting. I get general areas, but those 'general areas' are made up of near 100's of square miles. One thing is clear--its going to be a tad different for both of us.

Tucker is 11 now and has as much drive as ever, but his rear wheels get stiff after a few hours on the ground. We lost Bromley to cancer a few months ago (7 yoa) and we are still hurting from that. He was a special one and we miss him dearly.

I suspect it won't be too long before I'll be hunting for a pup.

Don''t know anyone out here yet, so I'm hoping for a turn around there.

Any suggestions from a local would be much appreciated. Perhaps a meet and greet in a spot with two birds that isn't secret.

Tucker and I will supply refreshment.

Changes in Attitude and Changes in Latitude, but mostly changes in terrain, culture and species. Its weird watching October go buy and no bird season until 11/1.

:-)

BTW--Its been too hot yet to get excited, but I've learned there is some darn good trout water not to far away.

Grifish

Good luck! In a week or so I am heading to Kansas for the first time.  Hope the dogs like it.

john mcg
11 minutes ago, Grifish said:

Good luck! In a week or so I am heading to Kansas for the first time.  Hope the dogs like it.

Thank you--I hope you have a successful and enjoyable trip.

Have you determined where you are going?

River19

John, good to hear you are doing OK.

Sorry to hear about Bromely as I remember shooting a WC over him a while back and really liked that dog.  Tucker was always a good dude, glad to hear he is still getting out there.

Good luck in OK.....maybe join a clays club?  something like that.....get to know some folks in similar circles.  Or a dog training chapter, Phez forever etc. anything....

john mcg
4 minutes ago, River19 said:

John, good to hear you are doing OK.

Sorry to hear about Bromely as I remember shooting a WC over him a while back and really liked that dog.  Tucker was always a good dude, glad to hear he is still getting out there.

Good luck in OK.....maybe join a clays club?  something like that.....get to know some folks in similar circles.  Or a dog training chapter, Phez forever etc. anything....

Thanks for that Bromley mention. Tucker is the same only slower, although whatever was going on with his rear wheels has improved. The vet said nothing structural and probably a muscle pull or some such that hadn't healed well.

I spoke to a gentleman earlier today that runs a Hunting service where he raises his own pheasant and quail about 40 miles west. Something may come of that. I hope you have a great season.

watermen

There is a ton of trout water within 90 minutes of you.  Some of the best waterfowling around will be right out your door.   Good upland is from a couple to four  hours from you and huntable numbers of woodcock and quail are within an hour.  You have one of the best NAVHDA chapters close,  that might require a versatile breed of dog.  Not the worst place to live, Mitchell SD is 8.5 hours up 71 to 29.  

john mcg
5 minutes ago, watermen said:

There is a ton of trout water within 90 minutes of you.  Some of the best waterfowling around will be right out your door.   Good upland is from a couple to four  hours from you and huntable numbers of woodcock and quail are within an hour.  You have one of the best NAVHDA chapters close,  that might require a versatile breed of dog.  Not the worst place to live, Mitchell SD is 8.5 hours up 71 to 29.  

Whoa! Whoa! Hold the phone!

You just said a mouthful, but what got my attention is the quail and WOODCOCK. There be woodcock close by? That would really make Tucker happy. Whenever I've asked about doodles, I get a blank stare.

MoSpaniels

Welcome to the corners of what some call sportsman's paradise. Grove is a pretty nice area.  There is plenty to do and yes there is nice fishing opportunities and YES, there is a pretty nice Woodcock migration that comes through. I live about 90 minutes from you and if schedules work out we'll put the dogs out and chase a bird or two. I had to put a dog on the ground Sunday afternoon on opening day of Woodcock season, in spite of it being much to warm and much, much to dry around here. We found little in the way of the little russet fellow but I go when i can go!

Brad Eden

Wow, was wondering what you have been up to. Good luck in your new haunts.

Bob Blair

And when it comes time to start looking for that new puppy, remember that you are located in a virtual Springer Spaniel hotbed! :D

john mcg
39 minutes ago, MoSpaniels said:

Welcome to the corners of what some call sportsman's paradise. Grove is a pretty nice area.  There is plenty to do and yes there is nice fishing opportunities and YES, there is a pretty nice Woodcock migration that comes through. I live about 90 minutes from you and if schedules work out we'll put the dogs out and chase a bird or two. I had to put a dog on the ground Sunday afternoon on opening day of Woodcock season, in spite of it being much to warm and much, much to dry around here. We found little in the way of the little russet fellow but I go when i can go!

Thank you, Mark. I look forward to meeting up soon.

Thank you for the info.

john mcg
24 minutes ago, Brad Eden said:

Wow, was wondering what you have been up to. Good luck in your new haunts.

Thanks, Brad. Things happened pretty quickly. My head is still spinning.

:-)

john mcg
17 minutes ago, Bob Blair said:

And when it comes time to start looking for that new puppy, remember that you are located in a virtual Springer Spaniel hotbed! :D

Ha ha...well ya never know, but my heart is well fixed on setters. I've been ruined.

LOL

Then again--I met a wee Boykin a few years ago that made a dent and what with all the water around here---who knows?

Grifish
4 hours ago, john mcg said:

Thank you--I hope you have a successful and enjoyable trip.

Have you determined where you are going?

We are going to the Cocker Nationals in Zenda 11/1-11/5

watermen
18 hours ago, john mcg said:

Whoa! Whoa! Hold the phone!

You just said a mouthful, but what got my attention is the quail and WOODCOCK. There be woodcock close by? That would really make Tucker happy. Whenever I've asked about doodles, I get a blank stare.

You have moved to a suprisingly rich game environment.   The lack of information on Woodcock is not coyness, but genuine disinterest for the most part.  The heat and seasonal differences will be hard to get used to, but a hoodie and vest will be warm enough except for the most brutal January hunts.   The Woodcock here are just starting, in 10 days they will be thick enough to earnestly hunt.