• Announcements

• Brad Eden

WELCOME NEW UJ MEMBERS   06/25/2017

It seems the word is out and UJ is enjoying a steady stream of newly Registered Members. Welcome to all of you, and we are all looking forward to your positive participation. I strongly suggest you review the Board Guidelines that have been in place since 2002. The most significant thing being that UJ is a NO POLITICS BOARD. LInk:  UJ BOARD GUIDELINES   Also UJ stays afloat mainly through Member Donations. Once a Donation is made you are placed in the Contributing Member Group with extra Priviliges. I am getting very few new Donations so hopefully this will spur that on a bit. Link:  New Members/Donations/Priviliges
john mcg

Oklahoma Migration

HAMMER DOG

Welcome to my home state John.

john mcg
31 minutes ago, watermen said:

You have moved to a suprisingly rich game environment.   The lack of information on Woodcock is not coyness, but genuine disinterest for the most part.  The heat and seasonal differences will be hard to get used to, but a hoodie and vest will be warm enough except for the most brutal January hunts.   The Woodcock here are just starting, in 10 days they will be thick enough to earnestly hunt.  

That is darn good to hear--again.

I won't miss all the snow. About two weeks til OK opener!

john mcg
27 minutes ago, HAMMER DOG said:

Welcome to my home state John.

Thank you, good sir.

Where might you be? I look forward to meeting folks and stuff. 

HAMMER DOG

I live just East of Oklahoma City in a small town named Choctaw.

41 minutes ago, john mcg said:

Thank you, good sir.

Where might you be? I look forward to meeting folks and stuff. 

lee sykes

You have been in my thoughts, John.  I'm glad that Tucker is still Tucker.  Can't say that I'm overjoyed to learn you are so far away but on the good side, You are close to Kansas.   Pheasants, quail and big whitetails.  Not too shabby.  You are not missing much here. Been too warm so far and no flight birds and the dry summer has grouse in the cranberry bogs.  ticks are more than numerous. 

john mcg
1 hour ago, lee sykes said:

You have been in my thoughts, John.  I'm glad that Tucker is still Tucker.  Can't say that I'm overjoyed to learn you are so far away but on the good side, You are close to Kansas.   Pheasants, quail and big whitetails.  Not too shabby.  You are not missing much here. Been too warm so far and no flight birds and the dry summer has grouse in the cranberry bogs.  Ticks are more than numerous. 

Yup---There is some sadness at leaving so many behind. That thought is weaving continually around my brain. Chasing wild pheasant is going to be a new and interesting experience, as well as quail and maybe even those funky looking 'chickens'.

Lots of deer around here and even some elk, which was a surprise. Sorry your season is off to a slow start--I'm sure it will improve as the temps drop.

Perhaps after awhile when I've learned the ropes, you could make a trip out for a pheasant hunt. I'd like that.

When thinking of Bromley, I can't help but think of Willis.

Be careful in those bogs...they suck.

john mcg

I located a spot to hunt pheasant in Kansas where there are likely good numbers for Tucker to chase.

With the help of the state of Kansas' web site for such. There is this program called 'Walk In Hunter Access' (WIHA), where the area is managed for game. There are tons of these areas small and large. There is a zoomable map that makes locating these easy along with data on game found there. I have chosen one in southwest Kansas that is within the band holding the highest bird density of the state.

Very cool. 6.5 hours drive just west of Liberty, Kansas along the Oklahoma border.

:-)

nixstyx

John, I just noticed this. I was thinking about our hunts a couple years ago and wondering if I might bump into you in the woods again. Disappointed to know that I won't. 

I'm sorry to hear about Bromley -- it was a pleasure to have hunted over him.

It sounds like you already have a line on some good hunting opportunities out that way. Enjoy, and take care!  

john mcg
1 minute ago, nixstyx said:

John, I just noticed this. I was thinking about our hunts a couple years ago and wondering if I might bump into you in the woods again. Disappointed to know that I won't. 

I'm sorry to hear about Bromley -- it was a pleasure to have hunted over him.

It sounds like you already have a line on some good hunting opportunities out that way. Enjoy, and take care!  

Thank you so much for those kind words. One never knows what the future will bring my friend.

Bromley was a tender soul. A sweet loving friend to Toni and I. He left a huge hole in our hearts and we are convinced Tucker has been changed forever by the loss as well. I realize we are capable of transferring those feeling to a dog--but I'm convinced of it. Damn, they give us so much.

BlacknTan

Very sorry to hear about the loss of your Bromley, John.. and sorry to hear Tucker is taking it so hard as well, not to mention you and Toni.

If it helps, I know the freeling .. we lost our Holly on Christmas Day last, and Sandy on April 10.. Both tremendous losses for us, as you well know.  But, we do recover over time .. Never forget, but we heal to a certain extent.

We just picked up new pup in Maine this past Monday. Life goes on .. we have to. Whatever eases the pain is Ok.

Surprised to see you relocated to Oklahoma... Guess you won't be needing that 346XP anymore...

Good to see you around again!

john mcg
7 minutes ago, BlacknTan said:

Very sorry to hear about the loss of your Bromley, John.. and sorry to hear Tucker is taking it so hard as well, not to mention you and Toni.

If it helps, I know the freeling .. we lost our Holly on Christmas Day last, and Sandy on April 10.. Both tremendous losses for us, as you well know.  But, we do recover over time .. Never forget, but we heal to a certain extent.

We just picked up new pup in Maine this past Monday. Life goes on .. we have to. Whatever eases the pain is Ok.

Surprised to see you relocated to Oklahoma... Guess you won't be needing that 346XP anymore...

Good to see you around again!

Damn--its good to hear from you!

I agree about healing. At first there was no way Toni and I would consider a new pup and yet now we are.

Nothing sews up the wounds like fresh puppy breath.

I sold the wood hacker...along with a whole lot of stuff. I did manage to pay off my truck, which is a huge piece of equity and an unburdening.

BlacknTan
5 minutes ago, john mcg said:

Damn--its good to hear from you!

I agree about healing. At first there was no way Toni and I would consider a new pup and yet now we are.

Nothing sews up the wounds like fresh puppy breath.

I sold the wood hacker...along with a whole lot of stuff. I did manage to pay off my truck, which is a huge piece of equity and an unburdening.

I'm really glad to see you here, John.. Kinda' like an old reunion. I often wondered what happened to you...

Glad I can read your posts again and keep up with what you're up to..

Bill

john mcg
Just now, BlacknTan said:

I'm really glad to see you here, John.. Kinda' like an old reunion. I often wondered what happened to you...

Glad I can read your posts again and keep up with what you're up to..

Bill

Funny--but I felt the same way. Lots of changes in the last few years. Like a box of chocolates--"ya never know what ya gonna get".

:-)

We are looking for Llewellin breeders around these parts as I don't ant to have to ship a pup. Its gonna take some doing. I've also long had in mind the line that LD has, but I need to understand more about the hardiness needed in a dog to run the west. That is a deficit in my own understanding and experience and not a slight on any particular breed or line.

Make sense?

BlacknTan

Makes perfect sense, John!

I always liked your way with dogs!!

WPG Gizmo

Hey John I was up on Russell hill the other day wondering if I would run into you at some point guess I know that answer now :D

Give Tucker a Rub from Gizmo and Kiwi sorry about Bromley