• Announcements

• Brad Eden

WELCOME NEW UJ MEMBERS   06/25/2017

It seems the word is out and UJ is enjoying a steady stream of newly Registered Members. Welcome to all of you, and we are all looking forward to your positive participation. I strongly suggest you review the Board Guidelines that have been in place since 2002. The most significant thing being that UJ is a NO POLITICS BOARD. LInk:  UJ BOARD GUIDELINES   Also UJ stays afloat mainly through Member Donations. Once a Donation is made you are placed in the Contributing Member Group with extra Priviliges. I am getting very few new Donations so hopefully this will spur that on a bit. Link:  New Members/Donations/Priviliges
john mcg

Oklahoma Migration

john mcg
4 minutes ago, WPG Gizmo said:

Hey John I was up on Russell hill the other day wondering if I would run into you at some point guess I know that answer now :D

Give Tucker a Rub from Gizmo and Kiwi sorry about Bromley 

Hey Gary—I’m gonna miss that area as well as ‘woodcock’ alley up the road a piece.

Lots of good times were had. No better place to get a young pup on some birds.

Tucker even got himself a Hun last year in the big field across from Timberdoodle!

Never what ya gonna find with refuge birds.

LOL

I sure will.

Take care.

john mcg

IMG_4799.jpg

john mcg

Looking good for tomorrow. I put Tucker down to stretch his legs for 10 minutes he got real birdy and sure enough a covey of 10 or 12 birds!  Now he knows what we are after tomorrow. 

😀

john mcg

895E0642-4D75-4461-8F8D-784CF85C92C7.jpeg

tut
11 hours ago, john mcg said:

895E0642-4D75-4461-8F8D-784CF85C92C7.jpeg

Remember that kind of cover from 4 years ago.  Held some birds.

atticus

Tucker looks great. Good luck John and let us know how it goes. 

hayslope

Just catching up on here.  Shocked to see this thread......that's quite a move!!

Sorry to hear about Bromley.

It will definitely be a different upland experience out there.  Good luck to you on your move.  

john mcg

Thanks fellas. Had a heck of a day today. Looking forward to tomorrow. 

The prairie is awesome. 

BIGSP

How many coveys did you move?

john mcg

Some place in western Oklahoma. I have a new appreciation for you guys that hunt the prairie. This stuff is better measured in square miles rather than acreage. Huge, vast and much of it tough to walk. I will post some pictures later.

I will honor requests to not hotspot, but frankly I don’t see it. The area is so vast, that its impossible to hotspot.

Every group I spoke to (5 different  groups) either found no birds or one single bird, or one covey. They were not in the right spot at the right time in an area as big as small northeast states.

A few groups abandoned the area on Saturday for somewhere else.

It was tough on old Tucker, but he was a champ and worked cover methodically—quite different than some other dogs. I suppose that is because of his habits on sneaky grouse and tight holding woodcock. It served him well, but I can see where an honest big running younger dog is desired.

Absolutely breathtaking country! I am very thankful to the folks I met and invited me along. I learned a lot.

mccuha

glad you had a good time.   You can hunt with one dog and I've done my self before but if you are out there for a while. You can cover a lot more ground with more dog power. I started hunting with 1 then went to. Now we are still underpowered in my mind and we hunt 4 dogs. I feel like a good number is 6. Hunt 2 at a time for 2 hrs ea and they are fresh the whole week. If you are just hunting a weekend 2 dogs will work . That's just my opinion. There is a lot of ground to cover but a lot of the areas will not have the birds that other have. You have to find those sweet spots.

BIGSP

So how many covey's did you find?  I had a friend out there and moved 6 on Saturday and 5 Sunday.  From the others he talked to it sounded like he did better than most.  Heading out there to hunt Friday-Tuesday private land in the panhandle.

john mcg
34 minutes ago, BIGSP said:

So how many covey's did you find?  I had a friend out there and moved 6 on Saturday and 5 Sunday.  From the others he talked to it sounded like he did better than most.  Heading out there to hunt Friday-Tuesday private land in the panhandle.

8 or 9--There was this one that was a loose covey (I would characterize it) of 30 plus birds that were scattered on a hillside of nearly impenetrable stuff. It was interesting. I shot a left to right crosser and 3 of us marked it, along with at least one dog. Could not find the bird, but we did find right where we marked it a large pack rat den. Looked like a small beaver house. Coolest thing--as I'd never seen one before. The dogs seemed convinced it was done there.

BIGSP

I had a buddy shoot one last year and it ran into one of those dens.  The dog dug that dam bird out of there about 3 feet below the surface. 

Sounds like you had a good day.  I'm always happy moving a covey an hour.  The humidity looks to be terribly low out there when I will be there so, who knows what the dogs will find.  Good luck out there !

john mcg

A few picks that show terrain and such.

IMG_4886.jpg
IMG_4889.jpg
IMG_4897.jpg
IMG_4892.jpg