MAArcher

Knives, sheaths, leather work

MAArcher

If anyone has pics of your knives and sheaths, would you post them and comment on any improvements you'd make to their design?  I'm going to make a new sheath for one of my knives and I'm looking for some inspiration.  I can't decide if I want to make the belt loop to the exact size of my belt, or leave it oversized as it is.  When I sit down, the knife slides up and the pommel jabs me.  I'm not sure if a smaller loop will make that better or not.  Also not sure what style of sheath I want or what I want to do in regards to embellish with carving/stamping, etc.  This sheath is one I made and like but its a little plain and want to make something better.

Knife Sheath.JPG

Wirehair

I don't have any pics handy but i bought a custom knife that came with a crossdraw sheath and boy is it a nice design to wear. If your interested in seeing it pm me and i'll give you the makers website.

Wisconsin

How about this style? Bought this knife and sheath from a local knife-maker. I love the sheath style.

Ken 

knife.JPG

Remo
On 10/18/2017 at 9:11 AM, MAArcher said:

If anyone has pics of your knives and sheaths, would you post them and comment on any improvements you'd make to their design?  I'm going to make a new sheath for one of my knives and I'm looking for some inspiration.  I can't decide if I want to make the belt loop to the exact size of my belt, or leave it oversized as it is.  When I sit down, the knife slides up and the pommel jabs me.  I'm not sure if a smaller loop will make that better or not.  Also not sure what style of sheath I want or what I want to do in regards to embellish with carving/stamping, etc.  This sheath is one I made and like but its a little plain and want to make something better.

Knife Sheath.JPG

Little Finn? A handy sized knife for sure.

MAArcher

Yes, great knife.  Would be even better if it was just a quarter of an inch longer in each direction.  At $30 its the best deal around if you want a stacked leather handle and leather sheath instead of plastic.  Pretty good metal too, easy to get razor sharp, doesn't rust.  Just wish it didn't have China stamped on it.

NECarson

Not a very good picture, but I love this sheath. IB5416q.jpg

Millriver

Here's the two I keep in the truck during hunting season. One on the right is a Russell Trout and Bird knife by Grohmann, the one on the left is a custom fillet knife made by a friend. I use that one for cleaning birds. It's a zebra wood handle with antler inlay. He put a grouse feather on the sheath. Love that knife!

IMG_2506.JPG

IMG_2507.JPG

smalliesonthefly

I'm a little late to the party here, I just noticed this thread. I was inspired by the previous pocketknife thread to start fiddling with making knives. I began with a couple of pre-finished blades, adding scales, then got some tool steel, and ground, heat treated, and polished my own. More are in the works. The last I made turned out the best, in my estimation, and I gave it to the guy who turned me on to grouse in the first place. Here it is, copper pins and cherry scales.

100_0918.JPG

MAArcher

Thats a cool looking knife.  What did you use for a grinder?  I check Craigslist once in a while for a belt grinder but their rare to come by and they don't give them away.

sprocket

If you're having it made, consider adding a slot for a flint steel...like bush knife

smalliesonthefly
6 hours ago, MAArcher said:

Thats a cool looking knife.  What did you use for a grinder?  I check Craigslist once in a while for a belt grinder but their rare to come by and they don't give them away.

First off, thanks. I have an old Rockwell 1" x 42", that I actually got as a throw in off a craigslist buy of a 4" jointer. It was, and is, noisy and in rough shape, and I'm not sure how much longer it will last. But for now, until I can rationalize a 2" x 72", it'll do. It just takes a bit longer, with more cooling dunks of the blade while doing the bevels. I have another pic of that knife, here's more of a side view. As you can see, I like drop points, a generous handle for control, and a knife that I can set down on flats without it rolling around to go edge up. I'll pop out another post of the first one from scratch following this.

100_0923.JPG

smalliesonthefly

Brass pins, Black walnut scales, exposed tang, not polished as well as the latest.

100_0928.JPG

MAArcher
1 hour ago, smalliesonthefly said:

Brass pins, Black walnut scales, exposed tang, not polished as well as the latest.

100_0928.JPG

I love drop points too.  How did you do the makers mark?  Is it elctro etched?  I have a coal forge and want to make a knife from scratch if I can ever find the time.  I can't remember the brand of belts I use on my little 1" sander but if you get the high quality belts they can work.  I have a leather strop belt I use with jewelers rouge to polish my hunting and kitchen knives.  I bet you'd enjoy the leather work too if you made sheaths, its easier than making the knife. 

Nice work!

smalliesonthefly

Laser engraver. Ceramic belts would probably help me out a bit. I got enough heat from a fire in the pit at camp to get to non-magnetic, then quenched, and 56C -58C after tempering at 400* for two hours. I used polishing stones, then up to 600 wet paper, then diamond paste, then finally green compound on a buffing wheel for the cherry knife.  Then sharpening with the Gatco. It's not quite hair popping sharp all along the blade, but still a pretty good edge. Time and use will tell how it holds up. The scales are three coats of Tru-Oil, then two of satin polyurethane. Eventually I'll tackle the leather, but at the moment I'm sidetracked on an old black powder revolver kit refurbish. Re-bluing everything, sanding and polishing the brass frame, etc.

Auto-5

I’ll just say on a traditional style sheath like pictured in the OPS post I like the keeper loop high as in the picture. I have a couple with the keep located lower and you have to be careful  to not slice the keeper when drawing or holstering  the knife