• Announcements

• Brad Eden

TO THOSE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UJ   01/06/2018

To the Guests who have decided to register for Membership. PLEASE add more info than just  "hunting" or "Upland hunting" or "birds" or "outdoors" or similar nebulous terms in the required INTERESTS field. Despite this Boards strong spam filtering it is not bullet proof, so Spam registrations do sneak through. I need an inkling that you are a warm blooded human being not a Spam Bot tagging onto key words. Thank you.
Brad Eden

Subaru Crosstrek or Forester...

Brad Eden

My '06 Tundra truck is approaching 200k and past any significant value on a trade in. So I've decided to drive it into the ground as a hunting and plowing rig for the most part. My wife drives all over creation in her 2013 Nissan Rogue and is already at 100k. Mine is paid off and hers will be shortly.

We are contemplating "splitting" another vehicle. A rig that I can use to tool around town on my daily errands and she can take on her lengthy trips to visit relatives and kids. (She is tooling through NH to NJ this very weekend for an extended trip to see family) Sort of a back up vehicle as our everyday vehicles get old.

We got the idea after seeing and driving in Member Uplanders new commuter vehicle; Subaru Crosstrek. Nice rig, likely great in snow and bad weather etc. Reasonably inexpensive compared to comparable small SUV type vehicles. (Have had a Toyota RAV4 and a Honda CRV, nice enough but not interested now)

The Subaru Forster looks interesting too, and has more cargo space, and I think more ground clearance, but is less "stylish" and is more expensive. Budget is a huge consideration.

So, Crosstrek or Forester?

garyRI
1 hour ago, Brad Eden said:

The Subaru Forster looks interesting too, and has more cargo space, and I think more ground clearance, but is less "stylish" and is more expensive. Budget is a huge consideration.

You have boiled it down correctly. In 2015 I looked hard at both and went with the Forester mostly because the driver positioning seemed more roomy to me (I'm 70 and 6' and a cramped driving position wears me down after an hour of driving). But a couple months ago while waiting for my car to be serviced at a Subaru dealership I sat in a Crosstrek and they have clearly done something to give the driver seat more space.

The Forester we bought was the least optioned (cheapest) one available but still had AC and power windows but I had to look hard to find it checking every dealership within 75 miles. Went thru all the standard car buying BS being told they had on, showing up to find out "it just got sold", and being offered a heavily ($$$$$) optioned model.

By the way, when I was looking I found used Imprezas to be a great deal but they have noticeably less ground clearance than the Forester and Crosstrek and there is no reasonably available aftermarket equipment to correct that deficiency.

Brad Eden
1 hour ago, Brad Eden said:

My '06 Tundra truck is approaching 200k and past any significant value on a trade in. So I've decided to drive it into the ground as a hunting and plowing rig for the most part. My wife drives all over creation in her 2013 Nissan Rogue and is already at 100k. Mine is paid off and hers will be shortly.

We are contemplating "splitting" another vehicle. A rig that I can use to tool around town on my daily errands and she can take on her lengthy trips to visit relatives and kids. (She is tooling through NH to NJ this very weekend for an extended trip to see family) Sort of a back up vehicle as our everyday vehicles get old.

We got the idea after seeing and driving in Member Uplanders new commuter vehicle; Subaru Crosstrek. Nice rig, likely great in snow and bad weather etc. Reasonably inexpensive compared to comparable small SUV type vehicles. (Have had a Toyota RAV4 and a Honda CRV, nice enough but not interested now)

So, Crosstrek or Forester?

3 minutes ago, garyRI said:

You have boiled it down correctly. In 2015 I looked hard at both and went with the Forester mostly because the driver positioning seemed more roomy to me (I'm 70 and 6' and a cramped driving position wears me down after an hour of driving). But a couple months ago while waiting for my car to be serviced at a Subaru dealership I sat in a Crosstrek and they have clearly done something to give the driver seat more space.

The Forester we bought was the least optioned (cheapest) one available but still had AC and power windows but I had to look hard to find it checking every dealership within 75 miles. Went thru all the standard car buying BS being told they had on, showing up to find out "it just got sold", and being offered a heavily ($$$$$) optioned model.

I noticed they still offer both Subarus with a manual /stick transmission. Did you get that or the auto? (I'm not interested in the manual, just curious)

River19

I have friends with both.  What trasmission are you thinking?  The options are manual or the CVT.....my friend with the manual lovs his Crosstrek although claims it is the slowest vehicle he has every owned.  Myfriend with teh CVT wants to total it as it is even less responsive.

forrester has the same choices for transmissions.

Have you driven either with a CVT?  you may want to give that a whirl before you get too deep into your search for vehicles as the CVT isn't for everyone.

For what it is worth, we had 2 Subaru Outbacks and we had a combined 300K miles behind the wheels of them, they were great compared to the competition back when we had them (2000-2003 models)......but everything has caught up with their AWD systems.  We left Subaru and went to Toyota AWD systems and never looked back.

Snow performance is 90% tires, so there is that as well.

Our run with the 2013 and 2015 Rav4s with studded snows proved they were as capable as our Outback with the same tires.

Drive some stuff first.....and think about proximity of dealer service etc. for you as well, I assume Subaru is well supported up by you.

garyRI

Automatic. I didn't think to look for a stick, but I later bought a 2010 used Outback with manual transmission. I'm retired so daily commuting in traffic isn't an issue.

garyRI
1 minute ago, River19 said:

Myfriend with teh CVT wants to total it as it is even less responsive.

I have seen comments like this in other strings about Subarus. Both of ours, 2015 Forester and 2010 Crosstrek, have the same 4 cylinder engine and I can't imagine needing to go faster. One thing to research though is CVT problems. We got a letter from Subaru a month ago or so about the warranty on CVT transmissions being extended. Must be a reason.

shoot-straight

i am a bigger guy and i didnt care for either. just too damn small for me. we wound up with a new outback to replace my wifes equinox, which was a huge vehicle for its size- if you get my drift. got great gas mileage too. it was a great "upland" vehicle for me. went to maine and kansas several times. 

john mcg

ALong with my truck we are on our second Outback—a 2012 Outback Wagon. They are fantastic vehicles with plenty of room and get up and go. Its Toni’s primary and I like that is a safe car.

terrym

I know 3 people who drive Foresters and likely will for years to come. When my wife's Jeep Liberty is done I will likely get her a Forester. 

Dogwood

Subarus are everywhere in Traverse City MI.  If I can't talk you into a used 2015 Outback (I own one, really nice refined rig and very comfortable/capable), then note that Foresters outnumber Cross-treks around here 2:1.  More cargo space and easier in/out given it's higher profile, hence it's way more popular with geezers....er, seniors....er, FOP'S.

L Kenney

There have been 5 Subarus in my family over the past 30 years: two Foresters and three Outbacks.  They've all had their share of dirt road/gravel bar driving as well as city life.  Zero problems with any of them.  I sold my 2011 Forester to a friend who wanted a fishing car and figured to buy a new Forester.  Looked at the Crosstrek and didn't much like it: compared to the Forester it had lousy rear visibility, relatively little room and only 1200 lb towing capacity. Ended up with an Outback for the greater towing capablity: 2400 lbs v 1500 in the Forester lets me tow my boat without getting anywhere near the limit.  I believe the ground clearance is pretty much the same in all three models at 8.x"   Integral roof rack on Outback and Crosstrek is relatively worthless with only about 33" of space between the bars.  Forester roof rack gets you 40"+.  You can get a manual transmission in base models of either the Forester or Outback.  I have no complaints about the CVT.

Crazy Horse

In 2014 we were looking for a new vehicle. We checked out Ford, Chevy, Dodge, Toyota, and a couple others. We decied on either a Crosstrek or a Forester. We chose the Forester for two reasons.

1: Head space. On all the other brands of vehicles I kept hitting my head getting in and out of the cars, including the Crosstrek. Not so with the forester, plenty of head room. (I'm 5'11")

2:  Cargo room. The forester had plenty of cargo space as it's very much squared off. No slopes.

Also, we're very pleased with he gas mileage.

btomlin

I looked into older subaru outback or forester for a "hunting rig" last year and a lot of searches spoke of head gasket problems near 100k, so I quit looking.

Internet folklore???  Seems all of you have enjoyed your rigs.

Not to highjack....I'm just interested in the subject matter.

River19
16 minutes ago, btomlin said:

I looked into older subaru outback or forester for a "hunting rig" last year and a lot of searches spoke of head gasket problems near 100k, so I quit looking.

Internet folklore???  Seems all of you have enjoyed your rigs.

Not to highjack....I'm just interested in the subject matter.

I had the gasket go on me somewhere around 120K on the 2003....I kept hearing they fixed that issue over time on the 2.5L Boxer engines but then I read about some issues popping up on 2010+ vehicles so who knows.  I don't think it is nearly as bad as it was back in the 2000-2009 generations on the OB.

I occasionally look at used 2012 or 2013 2.5 Premiums as they are pretty short money with 80K on them.....but I have no need for a 4th vehicle again....lol  and then I remember I chose 2 Rav4s over the OB originally.....

If the gasket etc. goes.....$1500-2000 or so....from what I remember.  Crappy but not the end of the world.

Brad - head over to a dealership and drive both vehicles.....bring a dog crate or two and check out the space....

Dogwood

Those head gasket problems are no longer a problem in the modern vehicles, at least to my knowledge.