• Announcements

• Brad Eden

TO THOSE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UJ   01/06/2018

To the Guests who have decided to register for Membership. PLEASE read Terms of Service, not just checking it off. This is covered there: Add more info than just "hunting" or "Upland hunting" or "birds" or "outdoors" or similar nebulous terms in the required INTERESTS field. Despite this Boards strong spam filtering function, some Spam registrations do sneak through. I need an inkling that you are a human being not a Spam Bot tagging onto key words. Also please do not use a business name as your User Name. Thank you.
Brad Eden

Subaru Crosstrek or Forester...

Brad Eden

I think Id prefer the Forester, but I know JoAnn likes the Crosstrek. Plus, again the Forester looks to be a good 3 to 4k more across the board. Budget is a big consideration. I don't plan on using it to truck dogs around or anything. Good idea for us to go look and drive both.

Wildcat

Hey Brad, we traded an outback for a crosstrek because my wife wanted smaller. The Crosstrek is a dog, has no HP, and very little cargo space but it gets good mileage and it is smaller which is all my wife really wanted LOL

jeff88

Not a Subaru, which I really like, but have you thought about the Mazda CX5?  They get great reviews.  Just drove one for almost a week in WI and around CHI and it seemed like a cut above the other rides in its class.  Ride and handling were much better than expected and no CVT.  Observed 28 mpg for city/highway mix of driving.  Just recommended one as a test drive to a friend in Denver who is driving an Outback.  One thing:  Subaru owners are the most loyal of car owners out there.  Another - Subaru cars have an average stay on the car lot many days less than the next best manufacturer, they can't keep them in stock.  

Dogwood
1 hour ago, Wildcat said:

The Crosstrek is a dog, has no HP . . .

Old people don't care about going fast!  40 mph feels like 70 when your a geezer.

tut

I drove an Outback last summer for about 2,000 miles while I was out west running around on vacation.  I was very impressed.  Not sure how is is price wise compared to the other two.  PS.  My neighbor's wife has been hit twice in a Forester.  Both cars totaled and neither accident her fault.  Subaru's are amazing when it comes to crash testing. 

Mike Connally

I have a Forester. It's significantly roomier than the Crosstrek. The Crosstrek is the exact same body as an Impreza hatchback. My wife drives one of those. I wouldn't even try to put a large dog crate and hunting gear in one. 

NECarson

My parents had a first year Crosstrek, liked it, had no issues with it. 

They traded it for a 16 Forrester after a year or so. They just liked it better. 

Dave Medema

I bought an outback for son #1 and a Forester XT for son #2.  The XT is a quick ride.  Both boys drove the outback, crosstrek, and forester but made different choices for valid reasons.  

One thing we all noted was that the forester rode more like a truck compared to the other two.  

We also had a WRX.  That was a fun car.  

The outback burns a little oil but other than adding a 1/2 quart every once in a while, all were problem free.  

Son #3 turns 16 next april and wants an older, smaller body style outback.  We'll head out to Colorado for a ski trip and buy one there where 1000s of them will be available.  We will try to find an outback XT for a little more pep.  

River19

XTs still require premium fuel?

Dave Medema
On 10/24/2017 at 7:54 PM, River19 said:

XTs still require premium fuel?

Yup.  

25/06
On 10/20/2017 at 5:24 AM, Brad Eden said:

So, Crosstrek or Forester?

:ph34r:

2014-ford-explorer-sport-front-passengers-side-in-motion.jpg

Flush

Those Explorer sports are nice, but their base price is literally more than twice that of a Crosstrek....

I test drove a Crosstrek and Forester a few years ago, and definitely preferred the Forester. The price difference at that time was very small.

Brad Eden
1 hour ago, Flush said:

Those Explorer sports are nice, but their base price is literally more than twice that of a Crosstrek...

Ding, ding, ding...we have a winner.

nobirdshere

Regarding the head gasket, it isn't fixed. I just did one on my 2011 Outback with 84K on it at the time. When I asked the guy about rumors Subaru resolved this, his response was "yeah, we're starting to see them now". Other than that, it has been a great car and I haven't been exactly kind to it.

River19
19 minutes ago, nobirdshere said:

Regarding the head gasket, it isn't fixed. I just did one on my 2011 Outback with 84K on it at the time. When I asked the guy about rumors Subaru resolved this, his response was "yeah, we're starting to see them now". Other than that, it has been a great car and I haven't been exactly kind to it.

I kinda heard the same thing.  I wasn't trying to be argumentative here with the Subaru crowd, heck I had two Outbacks and drove them a combined 300K miles.....and I replaced 2 head gaskets, but they were the 2000-2004 models.

When I looked at replacing them with another OB in 2013 I spoke with the service manager at the dealer seeing as how I literally paid my dues by then and he told me to expect the same risk at 80-120K miles with any of the 2.5 normally aspirated engines even in the newer models. 

That was one of the reasons I moved on from Subaru.... again, not trying to be argumentative or crap on Suby,I would take a well priced nigher mileage OB for the right price if I needed something, but I would look at other options as well.