Brad Eden

Subaru Crosstrek or Forester...

River19
7 hours ago, martyg said:

That's exactly what I am saying. Yes, AWD with torque vectoring and studded snows all around would be the bomb. But really.... Do you need it? Would I rather spend $50K on a CPO Audi or $22.5K on a GTI and go heli and cat skiing for three weeks? Easy decision in my mind. 

Or $21K on a GX and studs like I did......lol

I think we all understand your point.......I think the moral of the story really is, tires are the key enabler in winter driving performance and perhaps people should expand their search and include some solid FWD platforms as options as well as they may fit the bill especially if someone already has a second vehicle that is AWD/4WD like a truck etc.

Brad Eden

Frig it, I'm getting a KIA Soul...

River19
1 hour ago, Brad Eden said:

Does it come pre-loaded with Motorhead's tunes so you can live out their commercials?

ScottGrush

Forester. More head room during entry/exit. 

I have a 2012 Outback 4 cylinder CVT trans, it's been a great vehicle. About 150K miles on it. 

Last year I put Michelin Ice-X tires on it and it's almost unsafe to drive because it is so safe to drive you feel overconfident. It grabs the road better in poor weather conditions better than any other car or truck I've driven. 

Curt

We were in the market for a small suv a few months ago and I thought I wanted a Forester going in but after test driving and examining one we went another way.  There were two issues that X'd out the Forester for me.  First, with the back seat down the floor is a long way from flat, in fact there's actually a little step up about half way back to interfere with dog crate placement.  Second, the front seats are small, I'm pretty tall and the edge of the seat hit the back of my legs in an uncomfortable spot.  I couldn't imagine driving this on a long trip.

Just a couple observations that kept us from buying the Forester.

john mcg
1 hour ago, ScottGrush said:

Forester. More head room during entry/exit. 

I have a 2012 Outback 4 cylinder CVT trans, it's been a great vehicle. About 150K miles on it. 

Last year I put Michelin Ice-X tires on it and it's almost unsafe to drive because it is so safe to drive you feel overconfident. It grabs the road better in poor weather conditions better than any other car or truck I've driven. 

Yup—-we are on our second Outback wagon and all those years in NH winters I felt confident that my southern gal wife would be safe and she was. Plenty of room in back and lots of up front room as well. VEry solid vehicles all around. The ground clearance is as good as many larger SUVs and trucks. That makes plowing through deep snow in the early morning a breeze.

Brad Eden

Yeah, Forester is a better bet, even if more expensive. Too bad the styling sucks and it looks like a box on wheels. I'm a very aesthetic individual.

aje4

I like the looks of the Crosstrek.....I had an Outback years ago and sold it after 180k trouble free miles (great in NH snow/roads).  My hunting/fishing vehicle now is a F350 (only because I use to tow a lot...now it's paid for so I keep it). When I get a new truck it will be a Tundra or Titan.  My daily driver now is a Subaru Legacy sedan....bought it with about 50k...now have about 85k on it.  I'll drive it for a few more years and maybe get a used WRX.   Love subies....

25/06
On 10/26/2017 at 10:48 AM, Flush said:

Those Explorer sports are nice, but their base price is literally more than twice that of a Crosstrek....

23 hours ago, Brad Eden said:

Ding, ding, ding...we have a winner.

Sorry I was just trying to interject a little humor.... The folks on this site are very Toyota and Subaru centrist so they must be good.

The Explorers are nice but are a bigger vehicle than what you are looking for. The Sport is a higher end version of the Explorer and my wife loves hers...

They do make a cheaper version of the Explorer as many police departments have them and everybody knows the government is broke!:D

I think the Ford Edge & Escape are in the same category as the Forester and CrossTrek  size wise.

Toyota is #1 again this year in reliability according to the AP news article I saw today... If you look really close however at the complaints per 10,000 cars and

there is very little difference in the statistics of the top ten vehicles.

As far as capable winter vehicles: If we all admitted it we probably did our best hunting when younger and out of some pretty questionable rides.

I hunted pheasants, ducks, coon and deer out of a 1972 Ford Pinto with manual transmission and Bias ply tires. I had a clothespin on the sun visor to

hold the automatic choke open so it would start when warm.

For 4 yrs I had a 2 wheel drive Plymouth D50 pickup (Mitsubishi) for my only vehicle in North Dakota. In the winter I would drive out onto the

lake with a portable Ice house and fish when it was -20! I thought I had the world by the tail.

Hope you find a good one!

MNice
23 hours ago, snapt said:

"I know that GTI doesn't have the clearance to be a viable single winter vehicle, My sister in law has one with snows on it and it can't make it up my road mid storm when the plow hasn't"

Very true! 

Once a vehicle starts "plowing" snow, the suspension and tire contact is compromised regardless. 

garyRI
23 hours ago, Brad Eden said:

ok joking but i drove one as a rental car once and was impressed all around. Also drove an old Volvo RWD with studded snow tires in winter when stationed in Kodiak Alaska and got by fine.

Dogwood
22 hours ago, Brad Eden said:

Yeah, Forester is a better bet, even if more expensive. Too bad the styling sucks and it looks like a box on wheels. I'm a very aesthetic individual.

This "aesthetic" from a guy who drives an old Tundra full of dog hair? O.o  Alrighty then . . . 

Just get the Crosstrek and be done with it.

Bullwinkle

Mazda CX-3 much better looking than the Forrester box.

Brad Eden
On 10/27/2017 at 9:14 AM, Brad Eden said:

5 hours ago, Dogwood said:

This "aesthetic" from a guy who drives an old Tundra full of dog hair? O.o  Alrighty then . . . 

Just get the Crosstrek and be done with it.

Dog hair, pine sap, deer blood, bird feathers,  a few dents and a touch of rust here and there aside...the first generation Tundra, specifically the last couple years are a good lookin rig. So much so Toyota replicated the basic look for the 2017 redesign of the monsterous Tundra. Alrighty then...

Dogwood
8 hours ago, Brad Eden said:

Dog hair, pine sap, deer blood, bird feathers,  a few dents and a touch of rust here and there aside...the first generation Tundra, specifically the last couple years are a good lookin rig. So much so Toyota replicated the basic look for the 2017 redesign of the monsterous Tundra. Alrighty then...

I was just joshin' ya.