• Announcements

• Brad Eden

WELCOME NEW UJ MEMBERS   06/25/2017

It seems the word is out and UJ is enjoying a steady stream of newly Registered Members. Welcome to all of you, and we are all looking forward to your positive participation. I strongly suggest you review the Board Guidelines that have been in place since 2002. The most significant thing being that UJ is a NO POLITICS BOARD. LInk:  UJ BOARD GUIDELINES   Also UJ stays afloat mainly through Member Donations. Once a Donation is made you are placed in the Contributing Member Group with extra Priviliges. I am getting very few new Donations so hopefully this will spur that on a bit. Link:  New Members/Donations/Priviliges
Sign in to follow this  
Kansas Big Dog

Home covers looking good

Kansas Big Dog

Our season here in KS does not open for another 3 weeks, but I have been getting the dogs out a little each morning. Cover is looking good.

This is a picture of from the road on a 1/4 section that normally will have some birds. Not very good grass, fescue and brome water ways that are mowed for hay. I lost the dogs at the patch of cattails at the bottom of the water way.

Brown1.thumb.JPG.ede6176aa58b1e2e1e0914c0e41f11e7.JPG

When I got down there, no dogs. Then about 15 birds come out of these cattails. Then the dogs.

Brown2.thumb.JPG.cc59d4a9d04e721966a79be3d30457c1.JPG

Good cover.

Brown.thumb.JPG.d0e915b49d10a49db34f321cf7263d48.JPG

Kansas Bamboo.

Brown3.thumb.JPG.b0ad72b7a35866b8582f26705b10a94d.JPG

Kansas Big Dog

A couple more.

Smartweed.

Brown4.thumb.JPG.1e7af23340721aed5b510fe4db492498.JPG

Rippy and canary grass, good cover for bobs when it gets cold.

Brown5.thumb.JPG.b23d5f4d8861132599656f39194ed7d9.JPG

john mcg

A nice surprise when the reason for momentary dog loss be birds!

LOL

Thanks for the cover education.

Greg Hartman

Interesting ... and different than here.  Thanks for posting, KBD.  Sometimes I wonder, however, whether the same sort of weed/grass just has different local names in different places.  Canary grass, for example, looks a lot like what I would call switchgrass.  Hard to really know from pics, tho'.

Grifish

Thanks for posting, we are looking forward to running the pups in some fine Kansas cover!

KDGJ

Thanks KBD!  The 3 week wait is beginning to seem very long.  

Ken

Kansas Big Dog
4 hours ago, Greg Hartman said:

Interesting ... and different than here.  Thanks for posting, KBD.  Sometimes I wonder, however, whether the same sort of weed/grass just has different local names in different places.  Canary grass, for example, looks a lot like what I would call switchgrass.  Hard to really know from pics, tho'.

The grass in the picture is rippy. The reeds canary grass is off camera right. Rippy grows well in lower wetter areas such as this water way. Switchgrass is more of a upland prairie grass. You would find switchgrass in tall grass prairies and CRP.

Remo

KBD, is your Canary Grass the same as Reed Canary Grass?  Up here many of the wetland areas have it as an invasive. We seldom get any game of any kind out of it even though it is prolific. I think Reed Canary has some sort of odor or chemical to it as a repellent.  Dunno.

jackh

Looks good KDB.  I live about 20 miles south of you (although I'm currently on the other side of the globe till next Spring).  My wife keeps me in the know regarding weather and such; looks like the area had a pretty good late summer and early fall.  I really enjoy the pics you sometimes post of your FBs!

Hope the season goes well...I'm looking forward to Fall of '18 :-)

Larry Brown

Canary grass is good cover for pheasants in Iowa, especially when it's cold.  PITA to walk through, however.  I'm not sure of the real name for that "Kansas bamboo", but we also have that in Iowa.  About as thick as a pencil, and the "joints" in the stems do remind you of bamboo.  Stays green all year.  Also good winter cover for pheasants.

Kansas Big Dog
9 hours ago, Remo said:

KBD, is your Canary Grass the same as Reed Canary Grass?  Up here many of the wetland areas have it as an invasive. We seldom get any game of any kind out of it even though it is prolific. I think Reed Canary has some sort of odor or chemical to it as a repellent.  Dunno. I 

Yes, once Reed's canary grass goes dormant, it provides good cover when it is cold. They use it here for erosion  control in wet areas. I have killed both quail and pheasants in canary grass.

charlo slim

Reed canary grass is serious problem species in all areas where I have encountered it (MN, MT,, ND, WA, OR). It is exceedingly invasive in moist areas, where it out-competes native wetland plant species to form dense, monotypic, decadent stands. It does not typically stand up well to snow loading (way less so than something like cattails).  Perhaps more importantly, it totally chokes out the sparse wetland edges that otherwise provide critical brood rearing food and cover for many upland bird and waterfowl.species.  Wish there were more effective and economical control methods available. 

.http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/invasives/terrestrialplants/grasses/reedcanarygrass.html

mschaefer

That green jointed grass (I've always called it snake grass) is great late season pheasant cover, but you cant hardly walk through it.  It is so thick, even near the bottom that I always wondered how the birds move through there, although they dont' seem to have any problems.

Kansas Big Dog

We ran Storm, Jack and Rip at our home cover we call the double hedge. There is some canary grass there. Here is a pic of Storm pointing a covey being backed by Rip in canary grass.5a0dc6e49771f_DoubleHedge1.thumb.JPG.4476151d0271df9a591b2623aec4baef.JPG

Jack backing Rip on a single in the canary grass.

5a0dc6b34eaf6_DoubleHedge.thumb.JPG.23279fad723e97efed8bfae36f720b62.JPG

Jack pointing a single backed by Storm and Rip.

5a0dc7b715f98_DoubleHedge2.thumb.JPG.77b10db4c658d02587adf9589db461f1.JPG

This is a water way of canary grass that has gone dormant. I flushed 3 roosters out of it, more birds than I had seen out west. Who knew. The green grass is the evil fescue grass.

5a0dc7964b7ff_DoubleHedge3.thumb.JPG.9aa0fb8b3c629d18c328456ede23a7f9.JPG 

john mcg

Nice--looks just like the stuff we hunted in western Oklahoma.

'Cept we also found some milo.

Those Brits look like they know what they are doing.