• Announcements

• Brad Eden

TO THOSE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UJ   01/06/2018

To the Guests who have decided to register for Membership. PLEASE add more info than just  "hunting" or "Upland hunting" or "birds" or "outdoors" or similar nebulous terms in the required INTERESTS field. Despite this Boards strong spam filtering it is not bullet proof, so Spam registrations do sneak through. I need an inkling that you are a warm blooded human being not a Spam Bot tagging onto key words. Thank you.
Sign in to follow this  
rich223

Cushing disease

rich223

Has anyone ever had to deal with Cushing disease?

Canuck

Yes. My previous lab was diagnosed with Cushings when she was about 10 years old.  My sister is a vet so we were able to make an early diagnosis but the disease took its toll fairly quickly I am sorry to say. Hair loss, excessive thirst and urinary issues along with the effects of medication were the biggest issues as I recall.

Canuck

Canuck

Now that I think back to the early aspects of Cushings...the steroids that were a part of the treatment really perked up my tired old lab for the first several months after diagnosis.

Canuck

Canuck

Sorry Rich I really am having a brain cramp. My dogs perkingup  was not a result of her being given steroids, rather it was due to her reacting to her body producing adrenaline...or something...

Canuck

rich223

My dog is producing too much steroids, she is being tested tomorrow if the test is positive I am hoping the injections will help her.

DonT

I don't have anything to add but I wish you both the best of luck.  

Don Steese

Ben Hong had a dog that developed Cushings. He may not have noticed this thread. I'll clue him in. 

Dogwood
On 10/24/2017 at 12:22 PM, rich223 said:

My dog is producing too much steroids, she is being tested tomorrow if the test is positive I am hoping the injections will help her.

Hmm.  Injections aren't used to treat Cushings.  It is however one of the most challenging hormone imbalances to treat.  Hope the test is negative.

rich223

The test was inconclusive so no treatment was advised. The vet said if the test was positive a monthly injection would be used, what kind of drug would be used I have no idea. That is why I asked the question hoping someone here had some insight.

gunut

My lab developed cushings when she was 10....the treatment really was a strain on her....but she made it through it...she got it back a little over a year later and had to do the treatment again.....she lost a lot of hair and I think all the treatment meds affected her liver.....we put her on denamarin to help her liver and it perked her up for 7 or 8 months and she grew all her hair back.........but with age and all the treatments she past away earlier this year at a little over 12 years old.....RIP Tova....

Dogwood
2 hours ago, rich223 said:

The test was inconclusive so no treatment was advised. The vet said if the test was positive a monthly injection would be used, what kind of drug would be used I have no idea. That is why I asked the question hoping someone here had some insight.

Monthly injections are used to treat Addison's disease, which is kinda sorta the opposite of Cushings.  Cushings is treated with various daily oral meds.