Sign in to follow this  
sxsneubaum

End of a humbling and educational season

sxsneubaum

In January I started this field trial season with many high hopes.  My '16 season was fairly successful, I placed Web in three separate amateur stakes.  Web ran well at the National Amateur and the National Open.  He ran with a pro the first part of the fall, had a win and a couple other placements. 

This spring season started in January, we hunted and trained all winter.  Had good first two series and get to the third and the wheels would fall off, usually Web would implode.  In order to try and fix the issue I sent him with the pro again.  First trial out he won, Web earned his FC title. 

I'm new to trialing and knew that was having an effect.  We trained all summer.  Because of my class schedule I was only able to run three trials this fall.  First one, looked and felt good, but no joy, we did win the Guns Award and to me that was quite the honor.  Second trial we went out on a passed bird on the second bird in the first series.  It was a strong downwind but to be honest it was my handling that was the issue.  This past weekend we finished the trial, but no joy.  A bit was him but more was my handling.  I'm still learning. 

Web is going to the National Open Championship.  But we didn't qualify this year for the National Amateur. 

When he gets back from Minnesota we will hunt hard, train hard, and I'm going to hit the handling books and try to handle this dog the way he deserves.  Let's see what '18 brings. 

MoSpaniels

Don Bramwell once told me that "one has to get kicked out of 50 trials before he knows what he is really doing". Patience is hard to dial into the equation but

If you are enjoying it, and I think you are, Just keep learning and asking questions and training with others and putting it all together in your own mind.

Has your Pro had opportunity to watch you run and does he have any recommendations or helpful hints?

"adversity has the effect of eliciting talents which, in prosperous circumstances, would have otherwise laid dormant".  Horace

sxsneubaum
On 10/26/2017 at 9:59 AM, MoSpaniels said:

Don Bramwell once told me that "one has to get kicked out of 50 trials before he knows what he is really doing". Patience is hard to dial into the equation but

If you are enjoying it, and I think you are, Just keep learning and asking questions and training with others and putting it all together in your own mind.

Has your Pro had opportunity to watch you run and does he have any recommendations or helpful hints?

"adversity has the effect of eliciting talents which, in prosperous circumstances, would have otherwise laid dormant".  Horace

Don Bramwell told me the same thing at last years National Amateur.  Honestly, he's not that far off.  It's the nuance that's hanging me up, nuance of handling the dog in different winds, etc.  Actually at this last trial I was allowing my dog to do something that was really smart, but killing me in the trial.  He was running a quartering cross wind as a cheek wind pattern on his own.  But it was causing him to make over the shoulder finds which were shorter than they should have been.  One adjustment on his pattern would have made  huge difference, but I never knew it.  

And yes I am being patient, I learn from each and every trial. 

Yes, he watches and doesn't see anything really flawed, just quicker reaction to the situation which will come with those 50 trials. 

The only thing I will add is my impatience shows because I don't want to hold Web back because of ineptness.

SpringerDude

I know the feeling.   I screwed up a couple times in 2017 that cost us some "joy".   Hoping for a better 2018.   Josie got out of shape and I couldn't get her back in time.   She is looking good now and hunting hard.   Hopeful for good runs in the Open to gain ground on her FC before the pup starts fighting for entry fees.  LOL  

Web will be a force in trials for a while.    

sxsneubaum
10 hours ago, SpringerDude said:

Web will be a force in trials for a while.    

Thanks Tim.  Screwing up is an education and I advanced a few grades this year. 

I know what you mean about the pups.  Zee is coming along nicely.  So good I'm contemplating taking her hunting this weekend. 

JAM

I know exactly what you're talking about. In fact, I could have written this message. I do not know how to handle my dog and I'm sure I'm holding back his potential. I hope to get some training/handling lessons before the 2018 trial season.

Until then... Good luck hunting! Hope Web does well at the National Open!

Pat Berry

Perfect. I finally found an Amateur Trialer Support Group.

MoSpaniels

Remember...that you cannot begin healing until you admit you have a problem¬¬

cockerfan
On 11/9/2017 at 9:16 AM, Pat Berry said:

Perfect. I finally found an Amateur Trialer Support Group.

That'd be a perfect Facebook group. Hidden of course; we wouldn't want the pros to know our misery.  

Grifish

I don’t have a problem, it’s my wife!

sxsneubaum
14 hours ago, MoSpaniels said:

Remember...that you cannot begin healing until you admit you have a problem¬¬

Then I can't be in the group.  I can't admit I have a problem because I don't know what I'm doing