• Announcements

• Brad Eden

WELCOME NEW UJ MEMBERS   06/25/2017

It seems the word is out and UJ is enjoying a steady stream of newly Registered Members. Welcome to all of you, and we are all looking forward to your positive participation. I strongly suggest you review the Board Guidelines that have been in place since 2002. The most significant thing being that UJ is a NO POLITICS BOARD. LInk:  UJ BOARD GUIDELINES   Also UJ stays afloat mainly through Member Donations. Once a Donation is made you are placed in the Contributing Member Group with extra Priviliges. I am getting very few new Donations so hopefully this will spur that on a bit. Link:  New Members/Donations/Priviliges
Brad Eden

Maine Fall Wild Turkey Hunt 2017

Brad Eden

IMG_0504.JPG

Shot this Maine hen a couple weeks ago. I'm about to head out with my buddy Scott to see if we can find some more. Fall season ends November 7th and with firearm deer season starting tomorrow this will be my last fall turkey hunt. Two birds allowed, either male or female.

phonefly

Today in The Old Dominion!

20171031_113431.jpg

WAGinVA

Brad,

Is the limit for the fall season in ME separate from the limit for the spring season?  In VA we have a combined limit of 3, no more than two in the fall.  I always save my three tags for the spring but late October/early November is a great time to be in the woods here.  I am not able to bow hunt this year due to a shoulder issue and I am missing being out.

Brad Eden
1 hour ago, WAGinVA said:

Brad,

Is the limit for the fall season in ME separate from the limit for the spring season?  In VA we have a combined limit of 3, no more than two in the fall.  I always save my three tags for the spring but late October/early November is a great time to be in the woods here.  I am not able to bow hunt this year due to a shoulder issue and I am missing being out.

Separate. Spring we are allowed 2 gobblers. Fall we are allowed 2 birds if either sex. (Those are totals, some zones allow only 1 bird, but you can go shoot another in another zone or shoot 2, in a zone that allows 2)

phonefly

WAGinVA--- Anybody can shoot a horny Tom in the spring (just kidding!)

We fall/winter hunt with dogs.  We have clubs/leases that get us to fall hunt - targeting older hens mature hens.  It improves the spring hunt for them!  And a big plus, we sleep late and hit the woods at about 9:30 after coffee, biscuits and BS at the C store.

WAGinVA

I have a couple of friends that keep dogs specifically to fall hunt and they are always after me to go with them.  I am truly addicted to spring hunting and can not bring myself to use a tag in the fall.

phonefly

What part of the Commonwealth are you in.

WAGinVA

Powhatan

phonefly

Today in Old Virginny!  I called in two for winners of our NWTF fall hunts.  And yes that is Wild Turkey Reserve for the celebration.

20171102_164246.jpg

Brad Eden

Today is the last day of the Maine fall turkey season. Very few hunters fall turkey hunt since deer hunting is in full swing. I drove around while in errands more than usual after taking Cash for a bird hunt and then dropping him off. I keep turkey gear and shotgun in truck in case I see a workable flock. Didn't see a feather which seems typical for the last couple weeks ago. Back then they were thick as fleas in the open. Now they have all disappeared into the woods like smoke. I much prefer the spring gobbler season.

phonefly

We close this Friday so the smokegun  folks can get a crack at the deer.  Then comes the next season the middle weeks of December AND then the middle two weeks in January.  We get three tags, but can only use 2 in fall/winter  seasons.

There are a few DCAP permits issued around some of the wineries -  but they can't be put on the table.   

I really have a problem with the state issuing crop destruction permit and the kill has to lie there.  Most of these are killed with .17 HMR or .22 WMR.  

(Didn't mean to drift off subject!)