• Announcements

• Brad Eden

TO THOSE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UJ   01/06/2018

To the Guests who have decided to register for Membership. PLEASE read Terms of Service, not just checking it off. This is covered there: Add more info than just "hunting" or "Upland hunting" or "birds" or "outdoors" or similar nebulous terms in the required INTERESTS field. Despite this Boards strong spam filtering function, some Spam registrations do sneak through. I need an inkling that you are a human being not a Spam Bot tagging onto key words. Also please do not use a business name as your User Name. Thank you.
DennisMcFeely

waterfowl hunting scenery

Rick Hall
12 hours ago, gaberdeen said:

They did it just like they were suppose to. I love it when ducks decoy they way they should!

True black ducks, as opposed to our resident "black mallard" mottleds, are a real rarity here, but when late season "mottleds" surprise us by coming "just like they were supposed to," there's a chance of blacks fresh in from somewhere.

DAG

Last day of the season

33EE1295-F1DE-4050-99F9-F3578B939964.jpeg

Clueless1

Headed to Stuttgart AR Wednesday-Sunday.  Hope to have a few more to add.

Irishwhistler

"MALFUNCTION JUNCTION"
DSC00546Resized.thumb.jpg.6507bdc930b15901aa4d9058e59c6632.jpg

Irishwhistler 🍀

Clueless1

Hunted Stuttgart yesterday morning for a few hours then made the drive home.  I was the only one in my truck.  Rolled straight through from 11am after changing in the parking lot and got to my own bed at 3:30am.  At work by 8:30, exhausted and happy.  Haven't had time to resize as I'm not even sure how to do that on my computer.  I'll see what it will let me post.  Apologize to those that like Irishwhistlers photos, these are crappy iPhone pictures:D

IMG_0186.JPG

Clueless1

IMG_0230.JPG

Clueless1

I've got a few more if/when I can get some resized.

Clueless1

Sunrise Monday

IMG_0236.JPG

Don Steese

Very nice Dennis!  Thanks!!

Clueless1

Last one, I promise.  Tried out Brad's link to the photo downsizer.

IMG_0169Resized.JPG

Huntschool

I wish I had pictures......

When I came to Southernmost Illinois in the late 60's it was the Canada Goose capitol of the world.  Crab Orchard NWR was a few miles away and virtually the entire Mississippi Flyway goose population came here, shared between Crab Orchard, Union County and Horseshoe Lake, all in IL and West Ky, Ballard Co. refuge.  We had geese out the butt.  All you needed to do was find a place to hunt and we did..... Oh boy did we.

Ducks were no different then.  Mallards galore and we had flooded timber on the Mississippi and Ohio river side as well as harvested corn fields which is where most of the goose and duck clubs were.  Really, the clubs were all about geese, not ducks.

Now times have changed..... that horrendous goose migration has been diminished by warm water generation lakes all the way down the flyway......  Was 24 hours after Horicon froze out we were covered up with geese.  Many of the old goose clubs are gone for lack of birds.  Even the IL DNR properties have gone to a moist soils management plan which favors ducks.....  At the Horseshoe Lake property old goose blinds and pits are now duck situations.

I also got to go to the Stuttgart, AR area a=on many occasions with a school buddy whose family at the time was running 5000 ac of rice and bean ground and they loved to hunt so you might imagine what their fields looked like all prepped for ducks.  My God did we kill ducks.  This was all back in the lead days and very high population counts on mallards in the migration.

I really wish I had some physical pictures to share with you guys but the ones I have in my mind will keep me satisfied for what remains the rest of my life.  And yes, while in AR I did see, on more than one occasion what a "duck cyclone" over a rice field looks like and it is something you will never forget.  

Irishwhistler
10 hours ago, Huntschool said:

I wish I had pictures......

When I came to Southernmost Illinois in the late 60's it was the Canada Goose capitol of the world.  Crab Orchard NWR was a few miles away and virtually the entire Mississippi Flyway goose population came here, shared between Crab Orchard, Union County and Horseshoe Lake, all in IL and West Ky, Ballard Co. refuge.  We had geese out the butt.  All you needed to do was find a place to hunt and we did..... Oh boy did we.

Ducks were no different then.  Mallards galore and we had flooded timber on the Mississippi and Ohio river side as well as harvested corn fields which is where most of the goose and duck clubs were.  Really, the clubs were all about geese, not ducks.

Now times have changed..... that horrendous goose migration has been diminished by warm water generation lakes all the way down the flyway......  Was 24 hours after Horicon froze out we were covered up with geese.  Many of the old goose clubs are gone for lack of birds.  Even the IL DNR properties have gone to a moist soils management plan which favors ducks.....  At the Horseshoe Lake property old goose blinds and pits are now duck situations.

I also got to go to the Stuttgart, AR area a=on many occasions with a school buddy whose family at the time was running 5000 ac of rice and bean ground and they loved to hunt so you might imagine what their fields looked like all prepped for ducks.  My God did we kill ducks.  This was all back in the lead days and very high population counts on mallards in the migration.

I really wish I had some physical pictures to share with you guys but the ones I have in my mind will keep me satisfied for what remains the rest of my life.  And yes, while in AR I did see, on more than one occasion what a "duck cyclone" over a rice field looks like and it is something you will never forget.  

AWESOME 👍👍👍👍👍

MIKE🍀

mister grouse
6 hours ago, Irishwhistler said:

Huntschool: Mallards galore and we had flooded timber on the Mississippi and Ohio river side as well as harvested corn fields

Hunted in western Ky near Ballard refuge a few weeks ago and the mallards are still thick there., as we limited every day.    I also used to hunt geese  right at the junction of the Ohio and Mississippi on the Ky side in the 60s..  Back then Canadas were far more of a  trophy and a rarity , as compared to today I think .  And that Horseshoe-Cairo-Ballard area was the heart of it on the Mississippi flyway.  Honestly I have no interest in shooting Canada geese anymore  , despite having traveled literally thousands of miles in younger days to pursue them from Maryland, to Manitoba, and to several other locations.  

6 hours ago, Irishwhistler said:

Huntschool: This was all back in the lead days and very high population counts on mallards in the migration.

Actually maybe as many Mississippi flyway mallards today as in the glory days, I think. They have just scattered more perhaps westerly in to Kansas  as they migrate, and many never leave the warm water areas of nuclear plants etc in the upper midwest.  That Stuttgart flooded timber hunting can be as good today as ever, its just real crowded with hunters in the public areas. Regs on pressured areas  include  Fifteen shells per hunter, precise entry time limits daily, no afternoon hunting, three mallard limits, and for non residents of Arkansas :   a hunting -days- limit on the duration of your visits, thus eliminating non residents from  hunting every day of a season in certain pressured areas.   But the duck tornadoes in woods and fields are just as intense as ever on the right days.  I ve watched a lot of videos of that mallard tornado landing in flooded woods hunting , including some when I was a hunt particiapnt , and dont believe I ve ever seen one that really captures the moment in terms of the sheer awe of the experience.  

Kemo Sabe

My guest started to pick and process the birds before I could get a photo of us with them. Season ending shoot of 2 Bull Sprig, 3 teal, and 9 widgeon. 

Background is the Sacramento River and our transportation to and from the island — a 27 foot Fallonner called The Black Mallard”.

389F228D-97A2-41B2-B5B1-6220715EB0A6.jpeg

Grouseman_1

Heading to Kansas next weekend for geese. Hope to be able to add some photos here. 

Mike