FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
DennisMcFeely

waterfowl hunting scenery

charlo slim
On 11/25/2017 at 6:31 PM, Irishwhistler said:

DSC01192Resized.thumb.jpg.5752aef0793f26ed361bbd149c3c26ae.jpg

Ever try taking the down from those eiders, Mike?  In terms of loft, warmth, and cohesiveness, it substantially beats commercial white goose down.  Even beats mature northern Canada goose down, though not by so large a margin. 

Wet Dog

IMG_1109.JPG

Grouseman_1
On 11/26/2017 at 6:17 PM, Treerooster said:

Nice hunt...where was the banded duck from and how long banded?

The band is from this year about 10 miles from where we hunted. 

Mike 

Treerooster

Thanks. It looked like a fairly new band. Still always cool to see the Rolex. 

DennisMcFeely
10 hours ago, Treerooster said:

Still always cool to see the Rolex. 

The Rolex? Like I said I'm new 

Treerooster
2 hours ago, DennisMcFeely said:

The Rolex? Like I said I'm new 

Refers to fancy and expensive Rolex watch. Kind of another term for a band on a duck, like jewelry.

Bands are way cool IMO and I'd rather shoot a banded duck than be given a Rolex.

DennisMcFeely
10 minutes ago, Treerooster said:

Kind of another term for a band on a duck, like jewelry.

I like that

KerryLuft
1 hour ago, Treerooster said:

Refers to fancy and expensive Rolex watch. Kind of another term for a band on a duck, like jewelry.

Bands are way cool IMO and I'd rather shoot a banded duck than be given a Rolex.

And if you figure up the costs, it may be cheaper to buy a Rolex ... though I do know a guy who killed a banded goose on his first waterfowl hunt.

Kemo Sabe
3 hours ago, Treerooster said:

Humm........I'd take the real  Rolex, myself.

I've shot more than my fair share of banded birds over the years. And I still have more than a few on my lanyard string. A few years back, I shot  two drake pintails about 10 days apart. Both had been banded in Alaska, over 7 1/2 years previous, and the birds were both estimated to be at least 8 1/2 years old. It was great information to get on one hand, but I honestly felt a bit indifferent  about taking those birds after getting that information.  They had avoided being killed for 9 seasons, and had made the Alaska to California (and probably, the next stop being Mexico) trip numerous times. Pretty impressive. 

Bands provide us with great information about the birds habits and where they have been. Very interesting stuff. But I've pretty much lost interest in them as "jewelry" per say. The bird itself is trophy enough.

Just my own personal feelings, not meant to be put on anyone else.   

KerryLuft

I'm ambivalent about wearing bands around my neck, but I did have one band taken on a special hunt cast into a custom goose call (seen in my avatar).

Dick Sellers

Kerry, OK, what's the "rest of the story"?

KerryLuft
1 hour ago, Dick Sellers said:

Kerry, OK, what's the "rest of the story"?

I don't follow.  What made the hunt special?  The banded bird was one of two I killed with a single shot -- only time I've done that.  Plus I was with some good friends.  That's about it, but I thought the call was a neater way of remembering that bird and hunt than just stringing the band around my neck with a few others.

Kemo Sabe

A truly wonderful thing I saw happen with bands was when a friend of mine’s — who is one of the best duck hunters I know — dog was killed by a truck. Duke was a great Lab that loved his owner to no end. And John loved Duke every bit as much. 

After John got Duke’s body, he hand dug his grave and made him a wooden coffin. Inside the coffin, now hanging on Duke’s neck was all of John’s calls and all of his bands. 

Something I’ll never forget.

Treerooster
4 hours ago, Kemo Sabe said:

Humm........I'd take the real  Rolex, myself.

I can always buy a Rolex, can't buy the feeling I get when the dog brings me a duck wearing one. I fully admit getting pretty excited when I get a banded duck, or any banded bird. Makes my season. I have bands on my lanyard but don't hunt with it. It's just on my wall for me to enjoy. There are bands from Mallards, B W Teal, Canada Geese, Woodcock, and Bald Eagles on the lanyard. Got some Turkey bands too but they are displayed elsewhere. 

My oldest mallard was 12 and was banded in Alberta. Got several from there and one from up in the NW Territories. All my bands were recovered in Colorado except one mallard and the WC were in Wis. The 12 year old mallard numbers were pretty hard to read, but I called the gal at the banding lab and she said read me what you think are the numbers and we'll see it they fit. Two of my banded turkeys were pretty old, one 6 and one 7 years old.

I think the history from a banded bird is what excites me the most. I have a spreadsheet on my computer with all kinds of info on each band. The usual info and also the bander, which dog brought it to me, elapsed time from banding to recovery, etc. I remember when you had to mail in the info and it took 6 to 8 weeks to get the certificate. Those we're tough weeks to live through.

No worries...I didn't shoot the Bald Eagles. I use to help in banding the Balds, did it for 12 years as a volunteer. Helped band about 200 of them. The biologist that I worked with gave me some bands he recovered from dead Balds. He probably got tired of me drooling over his band string and "threw me a bone".

Grouseman_1

Our group has shot 4 bands this year. 2 ducks and 2 geese. The Ross was shot in Kansas while the rest were shot in Michigan. In the 5 years of hunting Missouri we haven’t shot a banded bird. 

76C223CC-E4C5-4CBD-853C-8D66BD2C8680.jpeg

1B725B19-C846-4DD7-A91F-B5BABBF61480.jpeg