• Announcements

• Brad Eden

TO THOSE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UJ   01/06/2018

To the Guests who have decided to register for Membership. PLEASE add more info than just  "hunting" or "Upland hunting" or "birds" or "outdoors" or similar nebulous terms in the required INTERESTS field. Despite this Boards strong spam filtering it is not bullet proof, so Spam registrations do sneak through. I need an inkling that you are a warm blooded human being not a Spam Bot tagging onto key words. Thank you.
DennisMcFeely

waterfowl hunting scenery

Irishwhistler
Aye Mates,
Captured the motion o’ this drake in flight using a shutter speed of 1/6400 of a second.  I love how the air pressure is bending his wing primaries upward on the downstroke. 😊

"COMING AT YE"
DSC01529.thumb.jpg.80a5464331e5e4eca3e9fa5d6f296052.jpg

Cheers Mates 🦆,
Mikey🍀

Kemo Sabe
On 11/28/2017 at 12:57 PM, Treerooster said:

I can always buy a Rolex, can't buy the feeling I get when the dog brings me a duck wearing one. I fully admit getting pretty excited when I get a banded duck, or any banded bird. Makes my season. I have bands on my lanyard but don't hunt with it. It's just on my wall for me to enjoy. There are bands from Mallards, B W Teal, Canada Geese, Woodcock, and Bald Eagles on the lanyard. Got some Turkey bands too but they are displayed elsewhere. 

My oldest mallard was 12 and was banded in Alberta. Got several from there and one from up in the NW Territories. All my bands were recovered in Colorado except one mallard and the WC were in Wis. The 12 year old mallard numbers were pretty hard to read, but I called the gal at the banding lab and she said read me what you think are the numbers and we'll see it they fit. Two of my banded turkeys were pretty old, one 6 and one 7 years old.

I think the history from a banded bird is what excites me the most. I have a spreadsheet on my computer with all kinds of info on each band. The usual info and also the bander, which dog brought it to me, elapsed time from banding to recovery, etc. I remember when you had to mail in the info and it took 6 to 8 weeks to get the certificate. Those we're tough weeks to live through.

No worries...I didn't shoot the Bald Eagles. I use to help in banding the Balds, did it for 12 years as a volunteer. Helped band about 200 of them. The biologist that I worked with gave me some bands he recovered from dead Balds. He probably got tired of me drooling over his band string and "threw me a bone".

TR,

A lot of people are like yourself, and get very excited about harvesting a banded bird. That's cool. It's just that while I still get a kick out of it as well, it's not equal to a Rolex watch in my book. ;)

They also serve as a "merit badge" of sorts for one's lanyard. That's neat as well. What sours me a bit  personally  is that a number of years back, someone stole my duck calls from my room in the second duck club I belong to. I really think that they were not interested in the calls (one was a cheap Hydel DR85), but rather wanted the dozen or so bands on the lanyard.  

Oh well, it's still about the birds and watching a day being born for me. 

DennisMcFeely
2 hours ago, Kemo Sabe said:

the second duck club I belong to.

i gotta start hanging out with you xD

Irishwhistler

"DESPERATELY SEEKING SUSIE"

DSC01497Resized.thumb.jpg.5867a1ed421d0df0c9793ab572b05457.jpg

Irishwhistler 🍀

Kemo Sabe
1 hour ago, DennisMcFeely said:

i gotta start hanging out with you xD

I think I confused you here. This was actually the second (from 1994 to 2003) of three duck clubs I've been involved with. The one I'm currently in is the third (2002 to present). I've not been in two  duck clubs at the same time. Wait,  yes I was.  I over lapped the 2nd and 3rd ones for a year, but never went to the 2nd one after the opening Sunday that last year.  

But I can tell you this. A good duck club is worth doing. Makes your  life better.  

Kemo Sabe
On 11/28/2017 at 6:46 PM, Irishwhistler said:
Aye Mates,
Captured the motion o’ this drake in flight using a shutter speed of 1/6400 of a second.  I love how the air pressure is bending his wing primaries upward on the downstroke. 😊

"COMING AT YE"
DSC01529.thumb.jpg.80a5464331e5e4eca3e9fa5d6f296052.jpg

Cheers Mates 🦆,
Mikey🍀

Nice picture  Mikey.

That  reminds me of why some people miss some decoying ducks. That duck is probably going to go up and back with the wings in that position. If you shoot a foot   in front  and sightly below (to the left of the beak) of it as your lead, you'll  going to be frustrated most of the time. 

All of that's easy to see if you are on the side watching someone else shoot. But it's hard to recognize when the bird is right in front of you. 

The proper lead on that bird is most likely  going to be just above and slight behind it's head. 

DennisMcFeely
On 11/27/2017 at 1:20 PM, Kemo Sabe said:

This is a picture of me and Penny at our club’s Blind 5. It’s a two man Blind, with single barrels next to each other. The other barrel is to my right, and your left in the picture. 

We have  21 shareholders (owners) and we rotate Blind picking order with each hunt. The hunting is often really good, but it’s not easy in the field, as we hide our duck boats in non-prepped tules usually at least 100 yards away from the blind. Hiding your dog on the blind island is also something each hunter  has to figure out on his own. My dog set up is from Mack’s PW, and it works really well. Decoys are removed after each hunt.

The club house itself is very comfortable. We each have our own room, toilet and shower, plus duck boat, mooring, motor, decoys, et al. We also have a formal dining room and separate bar and card room with a huge fireplace. Two caretakers work full time, and prepare our meals.

The club itself is located on a 1200 acre island, 750 acres of which we flood. We have a 28 foot  Farallon Boat that takes us the 15 minute ride from the mainland to the island. In my case, my house is 25 minutes from the harbor we leave from, and going and coming takes just 45 minutes or so, door to door. The only thing I bring is my dog and a change of long underwear.

Great place that’s lots of fun. Plenty of room to hunt with no more than two shooters per pond. Also, we catch lots of striped bass from the Sacramento River.  I love the place!

7C7D31AD-5E5C-487E-918A-3BA30D63A60C.jpeg

Kemo,

Not only does the description of you club sound fantastic it's evocative of some of the Gene Hill stories I've read along the way.  Gotta find me a duck club here now.  Slope getting slipperier.

Dennis

Treerooster
4 hours ago, Kemo Sabe said:

TR,

A lot of people are like yourself, and get very excited about harvesting a banded bird. That's cool. It's just that while I still get a kick out of it as well, it's not equal to a Rolex watch in my book. ;)

They also serve as a "merit badge" of sorts for one's lanyard. That's neat as well. What sours me a bit  personally  is that a number of years back, someone stole my duck calls from my room in the second duck club I belong to. I really think that they were not interested in the calls (one was a cheap Hydel DR85), but rather wanted the dozen or so bands on the lanyard.  

Oh well, it's still about the birds and watching a day being born for me. 

One of my favorite times in the woods is to have the dekes set, cup of coffee in hand 10 minutes before shooting light, and the sound of wings whistling by or the splash of a duck landing in the dekes. I showed my nephew how to duck hunt and he has grown to love the same time...I'm proud that he learned that from me.

Watching ducks decoy in, or react to my call are also great times. Having ducks landing in my dekes...right we're I planned for them to land is the epitome of duck hunting for me. 

I dont consider a band a badge of honor, just icing on the cake. As I said I really don't take my band lanyard out hunting so few people have ever seen it...fear of losing it being the main reason. They can't be replaced.

Kemo Sabe
1 hour ago, DennisMcFeely said:

Kemo,

Not only does the description of you club sound fantastic it's evocative of some of the Gene Hill stories I've read along the way.  Gotta find me a duck club here now.  Slope getting slipperier.

Dennis

This is a picture I took a few years ago, coming back in on the last day of the season. I call it “Heading Home......”

Nice picture of my older Lab, Ellie May.

A17774CE-DD5F-44E1-A6BF-126C9B4336C2.jpeg

Kemo Sabe

We also get a few wild pheasants on the levee roads.

91EA4005-BB54-4B51-989E-C351911248E9.jpeg

Kemo Sabe

Better picture of “Heading Home”.

212ADF63-30C7-4875-8EDC-0678BF66C7C2.jpeg

Kemo Sabe

We also get quiet a few Striped Bass. My sporting clays shooting partner Dana comes with me to the club 3 or 4 times a year. We caught these at dusk, using live bait.

63282768-89D8-43EF-8FE0-FDB2ED56EC56.jpeg

Kemo Sabe

Lastly, a picture Marty Fischer took of me picking up the dekes while he was talking on the phone. The blind island is on the right, with Ellie May soaking in some sun after a chilly morning. 

FAFDC67F-16B5-43D5-895F-30F70914E47A.jpeg

Wet Dog

Kemo, it seems like you’ve found yourself a little slice of heaven. Congrats!

Kemo Sabe

Thanks Wet Dog.

Early in my career I figured out I needed a day in my life for me. I was working from 7:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. 5 day’s a week, plus every other Saturday from 8:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m., with no lunch break. I was also heavily involved with all four of my kids sports and school activities. 

So, along comes taking Wednesday’s off to hunt, fish, and shoot clays. This progressed into getting into duck clubs. The kids are all on their own now, and just one has some college time still going. But looking back, if I didn’t make that time for myself, it would have been very difficult to keep up my work pace, plus all of the extra time coaching and being active in everything the four kids were involved with. Things like duck clubs are needed in everyone’s life. It allows you to work harder and be even a better parent.

Today, I spend two days a week Duck hunting. I start work at 6:45 a.m. on Tuesdays and Fridays, and get off at 2:00 p.m. I go home, change my cloths, grab my change of hunting gear, put the dog in the truck, and catch the 3:00 p.m. boat over to the island. Hunt Wednesday and Saturday mornings, and home by 2:00 p.m.  Rarely hunt Sundays, as Saturday is the night I take my wife to dinner where ever she wants to go.

I'm 65 and still working, but only because I want to. I have a great staff, and have plenty of quality time to do what I like doing. Another plus for having a duck club. Which has more than doubled in value since I bought it.  When I'm too old to hunt, I'm going to have to figure out what to do with that extra money from the sale 

During the off season, I manage our field work. I get year round enjoyment from my duck club, and my life would be incomplete without it.

Below is a picture of my duck boat, ready to go in it’s mooring. 

F9EB2485-C111-42B7-8899-D060AA25E5E7.jpeg