• Announcements

• Brad Eden

TO THOSE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UJ   01/06/2018

To the Guests who have decided to register for Membership. PLEASE add more info than just  "hunting" or "Upland hunting" or "birds" or "outdoors" or similar nebulous terms in the required INTERESTS field. Despite this Boards strong spam filtering it is not bullet proof, so Spam registrations do sneak through. I need an inkling that you are a warm blooded human being not a Spam Bot tagging onto key words. Thank you.
DennisMcFeely

waterfowl hunting scenery

Kemo Sabe

Interesting bird. Appears to be a Mallard - Pintail cross.

Crosses like this count as an “other” on your strap.

3FD531A4-AF6D-4106-8009-AA7285CB9192.jpeg

Treerooster

They are, IMO, the most handsome duck there is.

I don't get many here in the late season, when they are all decked out, but when I do it's always a treat.

Kemo Sabe
On 12/2/2017 at 5:50 PM, Kemo Sabe said:

Interesting bird. Appears to be a Mallard - Pintail cross.

Crosses like this count as an “other” on your strap.

3FD531A4-AF6D-4106-8009-AA7285CB9192.jpeg

Turns out  this is a European Shelduck, native to the Wadden Sea off the coast of Germany. It was  5500 miles away from home. 

Kemo Sabe
13 hours ago, KerryLuft said:

pintail.jpg

Very nice, amigo. 

KerryLuft
39 minutes ago, Kemo Sabe said:

Very nice, amigo. 

I've been looking for a sprig for the wall for about 10 years now.  This one is it.

Kemo Sabe

I don't do  mounted birds any more. . Pictures seem to work well for me. That picture above would be just the ticket. 

Kemo Sabe

A pair of cinnamon teal hanging on the wall in my room at the duck club. I doubled on them on the last day of the season about 10 years ago, as they flew by me in Blind 16. 

5F3CE810-BED1-4717-A415-E1E868E54937.jpeg

KerryLuft
5 hours ago, Kemo Sabe said:

I don't do  mounted birds any more. . Pictures seem to work well for me. That picture above would be just the ticket. 

Be that as it may, I've never mounted a bird before and I've always wanted a sprig.  The photo above will go on the wall at home, since my wife is allergic to feathers, and the mount will hang in the office at work.  The only other bird I want to mount now is a storm widgeon ... and maybe a really nice bluewing drake. 

Kemo Sabe
6 minutes ago, KerryLuft said:

Be that as it may, I've never mounted a bird before and I've always wanted a sprig.  The photo above will go on the wall at home, since my wife is allergic to feathers, and the mount will hang in the office at work.  The only other bird I want to mount now is a storm widgeon ... and maybe a really nice bluewing drake. 

Sounds like a great plan!

Treerooster

The Sprig will make a great mount, hope it turns out well for you. BW Teal are one of my favorite ducks. Unfortunately they are gone from anywhere I hunt by Oct. and I don't see them in all their finery until spring turkey season.

What is a "storm widgeon"? I have a nice drake widgeon mounted...cool hunt but it wasn't in a storm. :)

KerryLuft

The sprig is even nicer than the photo indicates.  The crop lopped off about 4 inches of his tail.  Can't wait to get it back.

A storm widgeon is a colloquialism for a widgeon with an extraordinary amount of white on the head.  Like the one below.

Image result for storm wigeon

KerryLuft
1 hour ago, Kemo Sabe said:

Sounds like a great plan!

Thanks, Kemo.  You were the person responsible for teaching me all about sprig and you were there when I shot my first one.  Never will forget that, or your generosity.

Kemo Sabe
1 hour ago, KerryLuft said:

Thanks, Kemo.  You were the person responsible for teaching me all about sprig and you were there when I shot my first one.  Never will forget that, or your generosity.

Aw, shucks Little Buddy, I didn’t do anything........

Hunting with a friend like you is what’s really special. Looking forward to seeing you in January. We just might get you that Storm Widgeon. That’s when they show up here.

You know what was the best hunt, was the day you both called in and shot a big Bull Sprig. Shootin’  ‘um Is one thing, calling them into 20/25 yards with their feet down like you did is another. 

Kemo Sabe

A nice Bull Sprig from this morning at early light. We finished with 9 teal, 2 Sprig, and 2 widgeon. 

83F19802-1EC0-4C0F-AD87-FAC73F0715EF.jpeg