• Announcements

• Brad Eden

TO THOSE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UJ   01/06/2018

To the Guests who have decided to register for Membership. PLEASE add more info than just  "hunting" or "Upland hunting" or "birds" or "outdoors" or similar nebulous terms in the required INTERESTS field. Despite this Boards strong spam filtering it is not bullet proof, so Spam registrations do sneak through. I need an inkling that you are a warm blooded human being not a Spam Bot tagging onto key words. Thank you.
DennisMcFeely

waterfowl hunting scenery

charlo slim
3 minutes ago, Kemo Sabe said:

I put the first shot’s pattern right on the greenhead, and killed it. At the same time, a hen made a move right into that pattern.

Wow, she must have been swimming really fast!!  :o   

Actually, I am somewhat heartened to learn that even highly accomplished shooters sometimes struggle a bit.  

Kemo Sabe

Better picture of the four mallards I got yesterday. I took a single greenhead about an hour prior to the triple.

77FFC287-558A-4308-9ED8-B28119C1C4A4.jpeg

Kemo Sabe
24 minutes ago, charlo slim said:

Wow, she must have been swimming really fast!!  :o   

Actually, I am somewhat heartened to learn that even highly accomplished shooters sometimes struggle a bit.  

Slim,

I think a better way to put it was that right before I went to pull the trigger, the hen flew into where the pattern was going to be. 

And struggle I did for the first hour and a half. I’ve been shooting my 12 gauge O/U a lot this year. Tom is coming down in two weeks, and wants to test 20 gauge loads this time. So, I figured I needed to spend sometime shooting my 20 gauge 870 as my regular gun until he comes and goes.

I finally figured out I was shooting below the birds, and was not figuring in that when you stand up in a blind, and the surprised birds see you, they immediately elevate, no matter what direction they are flying. Also, it’s really easy to miss in front when they do the “elevate and drift backwards move”. Didn’t have my brain in gear.

charlo slim
19 minutes ago, Kemo Sabe said:

Better picture of the four mallards I got yesterday. I took a single greenhead about an hour prior to the triple.

Nice.  Is the hen's bill somewhat nipped off, or is that just a bit of illusion.  California is not normally thought of as mallard central, but I do recollect seeing some data about remarkably high nest success and recruitment among mallards on some of the rice country habitats.  Perhaps CWA research, IIRC?   That was several decades back -- any inkling as to whether that pattern has held up over time?

Kemo Sabe

Shooting a two shot triple on mallards, especially on a day when my shooting had been below par,  is a unique experience. I mean, I’ve shot many one shot multiple kills/ triples on teal over the years. I’ve shot only one other triple on mallards, and that was with a 12 gauge and 3 shots about 20 years ago. Done that exact thing on Widgeon in recent years.

Multiple kill shots are more about luck than anything else. I put the first shot’s pattern right on the greenhead, and killed it. At the same time, a hen made a move right into that pattern. I then put the pattern on the other greenhead with the second shell. All 3 birds fell within 5 yards of the blind. I remember thinking “I can’t believe this”.

One of those duck hunting moments that will live on for the rest of my life. And something that will punch up in my mental computer every time when I hunt this blind in the forever future.

Wet Dog
14 minutes ago, Kemo Sabe said:

Shooting a two shot triple on mallards, especially on a day when my shooting had been below par,  is a unique experience. I mean, I’ve shot many one shot multiple kills/ triples on teal over the years. I’ve shot only one other triple on mallards, and that was with a 12 gauge and 3 shots about 20 years ago. Done that exact thing on Widgeon in recent years.

Multiple kill shots are more about luck than anything else. I put the first shot’s pattern right on the greenhead, and killed it. At the same time, a hen made a move right into that pattern. I then put the pattern on the other greenhead with the second shell. All 3 birds fell within 5 yards of the blind. I remember thinking “I can’t believe this”.

One of those duck hunting moments that will live on for the rest of my life. And something that will punch up in my mental computer every time when I hunt this blind in the forever future.

My oldest boy went 3 for 3 on a group of mallards cupped and committed a couple of days before Christmas.  I'm sure it will be a memory he'll carry for the rest of his life.  Glad I was there to share it.

Kemo Sabe

Charlo,

The Pacific Flyway is one of the best kept secrets going. Where I hunt, it’s more of a sprig, widgeon, and teal marsh. But we get plenty of mallards. I usually get 30 to 40 a year. Sometimes, more.

And then we have some very mallard rich areas like Bolden Island, Webb Tract, and Holland Tract. On top of those areas, we have the Butte Sink and District 10 which really produces mallards. Those areas, though not as good as they once where with daily 7 bird limits of mallards,  are very much a “mallard central” in today’s waterfowl world.

I didn’t notice that hen’s bill until you mentioned it. Not sure what’s going on there.

Kemo Sabe
45 minutes ago, Wet Dog said:

My oldest boy went 3 for 3 on a group of mallards cupped and committed a couple of days before Christmas.  I'm sure it will be a memory he'll carry for the rest of his life.  Glad I was there to share it.

Great moment, to be sure.

My first mallard triple with three shells was much just like that, and I remember it like it was yesterday, and not 20 plus years ago. Nice thing, all three birds were green heads. This time around, one was a hen. If’n I had hit the two green heads with single shots, and the hen was left, I wouldn’t have fired the third shell at her. With one greenhead on the strap, and two down, I don’t need a hen. Sure, I’ll take a hen mallard at times, and even a hen sprig. But I try not to, especially a  hen sprig. 

gaberdeen

Last day duck hunt. Not bad for 1 1/2 hr hunt. One mallard and 2 blacks.

74E0C41A-C22F-4BCE-94C4-8CDD860383CF.jpeg

B1443438-E563-405E-90C7-11488CD92C3C.jpeg

Fire Marshal Bill

What a handsome duck Hunter!!! Lol 

mccuha
3 hours ago, gaberdeen said:

Last day duck hunt. Not bad for 1 1/2 hr hunt. One mallard and 2 blacks.

74E0C41A-C22F-4BCE-94C4-8CDD860383CF.jpeg

B1443438-E563-405E-90C7-11488CD92C3C.jpeg

My favorite duck to hunt.  They are very weary.  My next is the sprig   Both are weary and also beautiful in hand.    Well done.  Wish we had blacks here like we used to

gaberdeen
16 minutes ago, mccuha said:

My favorite duck to hunt.  They are very weary.  My next is the sprig   Both are weary and also beautiful in hand.    Well done.  Wish we had blacks here like we used to

I love hunting Black Ducks also. We get them late season here. Limit was increased to 2 this year.

mccuha
17 minutes ago, gaberdeen said:

I love hunting Black Ducks also. We get them late season here. Limit was increased to 2 this year.

I used to have a beaver pond that for years I could count on a black and limit of woodies every time.  That place has been dried up for a long time.  It’s been about 5-6yrs since I took one.  The last one I did take was extremely small.   It could have been a very young one but not sure.  It wasn’t much bigger than a wood duck.  Blacks are usually bigger than a mallard 

Treerooster

Those blacks look...well black. Very dark but maybe it's the photo??

Cool ducks blacks are. I don't hunt where they hang out much. I did kill 2 in N Wis last year and was very surprised to get them. One is at the taxi man now and I am getting anxious to get it back.

Nice way to end your season. Did they decoy in nice?

Treerooster

Got a new call. Had a nice custom duck call given to me, Final Flight calls. It was a totally unexpected gift but a very nice surprise. Never owned a custom duck call before but I like it. Takes less air to call with it and I can do the feed chuckle a lot easier.

4 mallards, a gadwall, and a widgeon. They decoyed in good and a couple of the drakes circled once, then pinched their wings in tight and dropped into the dekes fast. Love when they do that.

Ducks with Final Flight call 1-18.JPG