FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
garyRI

Three mallard morning

garyRI

Had a couple more good opportunities to get my limit but three mallards is fine. I was solo this morning so I brought only a half dozen plastic decoys and my Old Town pack canoe. My 16' Sportspal is no heavier but is much clumsier to get on top of my car. My Boykin retrieved all three. We were in a blind so she couldn't mark the fall but she takes a line.

mallard 10 26 17.JPG

mallard2 10 26 17.jpg

DennisMcFeely

Awesome

mccuha

Nice awesome little dog

garyRI
27 minutes ago, mccuha said:

Nice awesome little dog

mccuha - I see you are in SC. Many of your friends have Boykins?

mccuha

I have one myself. Great little dog.  First I've ever had. I will say they are a good retriever. Only limitation is that some terrain and certain birds there size holds them back. I have alway had labs for a retriever and see where mine has a hard time some times.  They are a ball of lovable energy and make a good flusher.  I actually am using mine to help retrieve out west this year.  She will sit when dogs go on point and will go after the birds that are shot when I release her.  A dinamo on doves. I believe this is where these dogs really shine

mccuha
29 minutes ago, garyRI said:

mccuha - I see you are in SC. Many of your friends have Boykins?

Didn't actually answer your question. I have one friend that has a litter mate to mine. I know of others that have them. Being the state dog of sc. they are popular and know a good many people hunt them. There are more that have them as pets. An awesome dog. 

garyRI

Mine, Maggie, is my second and our daughter in San Antonio has one too. Will be eleven in December. Not showing her age but when the water gets colder no more duck hunting. In a canoe I'm not concerned with her moving around and for upland she naturally stays close. At 35 pounds she is ideal for what I do.

mccuha
9 minutes ago, garyRI said:

Mine, Maggie, is my second and our daughter in San Antonio has one too. Will be eleven in December. Not showing her age but when the water gets colder no more duck hunting. In a canoe I'm not concerned with her moving around and for upland she naturally stays close. At 35 pounds she is ideal for what I do.

They were bred for small boats like canoes so they wouldn't rock the boat. I have had mine out in pretty cold water but with a vest. You know I don't believe they show there age as much as other dogs. From what the guy I bought my dog from said that a lot of pheasant hunters are using them more. 

garyRI

I didn't think they could handle cold water until I went hunting with a guy who had a big male. It wore a vest but retrieved three ducks and three geese on a day that was mid 20s F. And it spent most of the morning standing in 4-6" of water waiting for the next retrieve.

Rick Hall

Nice morning.

mccuha
10 hours ago, garyRI said:

I didn't think they could handle cold water until I went hunting with a guy who had a big male. It wore a vest but retrieved three ducks and three geese on a day that was mid 20s F. And it spent most of the morning standing in 4-6" of water waiting for the next retrieve.

they will handle cold water to some extent with the help of a vest. I would not put my dog through it day in day out. I don't think they could handle it a lot. They just can't take it as well as a lab or Ches.  The bigger males have a definite advantage over the smaller females in rough terrain like flooded timber and such. I met a guy a couple years ago in SC that had a male that was as big as my female lab. He was huge. It wouldn't matter to me but that dog would probably not fall under the standards to be able to be registered. My female is really not much bigger than a cocker.

garyRI
2 hours ago, mccuha said:

My female is really not much bigger than a cocker.

Mine is 35 pounds and I think ideal for combination of upland and canoe duck hunting that I use her for. Her predecessor was only 26 pounds & took a beating.

Re: cold tolerance. I think mine's heart is way bigger than her brain and I watch her close to be sure she doesn't get over stressed.

ruffed1

Looks like a good shoot!  I'm anxiously awaiting the NJ coastal season to open.

mccuha
3 hours ago, garyRI said:

Mine is 35 pounds and I think ideal for combination of upland and canoe duck hunting that I use her for. Her predecessor was only 26 pounds & took a beating.

Re: cold tolerance. I think mine's heart is way bigger than her brain and I watch her close to be sure she doesn't get over stressed.

that is a good size. Mine is probably close to the 26# size. That's what I'm seeing with mine now. She can do the work but it's a lot harder in some situations.

garyRI
3 hours ago, mccuha said:

Mine is probably close to the 26# size.

World of difference between 26 & 35. My smaller was very willing but busting thru heavy brush was harder on her.