• Announcements

• Brad Eden

WELCOME NEW UJ MEMBERS   06/25/2017

It seems the word is out and UJ is enjoying a steady stream of newly Registered Members. Welcome to all of you, and we are all looking forward to your positive participation. I strongly suggest you review the Board Guidelines that have been in place since 2002. The most significant thing being that UJ is a NO POLITICS BOARD. LInk:  UJ BOARD GUIDELINES   Also UJ stays afloat mainly through Member Donations. Once a Donation is made you are placed in the Contributing Member Group with extra Priviliges. I am getting very few new Donations so hopefully this will spur that on a bit. Link:  New Members/Donations/Priviliges
Wyobirds

Do you shoot a 16 Gauge and

Don Steese

McIntosh also mentioned the fact that there's no 16 ga skeet. I think it could be argued that the scarcity of ammo may be a result of the 16's demise, rather than a cause of it. 

Greg Hartman
8 hours ago, Don Steese said:

McIntosh also mentioned the fact that there's no 16 ga skeet. I think it could be argued that the scarcity of ammo may be a result of the 16's demise, rather than a cause of it. 

That's hitting the nail directly on the head.

Larry Brown

Thanks to Cabela's, 16ga ammo is now not only more readily available, but at a lower price.  Their Herter's shells are real bargains if you catch them on sale.  I've recently started reloading for the 16ga again, which I renounced--I thought forever--some years ago.  Wads are now available that allow you to reload 7/8 oz without using filler.  And the Herter's hulls reload quite well, although they don't last very long.  What's still lacking in 16ga is a good quality hull, like the target hulls available for the other gauges.  But because the 16 isn't an official skeet gauge, we'll probably never see one.

While it's true that you don't want to hit the road on a hunting trip with a 16 unless you have all the shells you think you're going to need, I've learned that they're easier to find some places than are 28ga shells--and the 28 is an official skeet gauge.  I hunt the UP every year and always buy my license at the same Holiday station.  They carry shotgun shells, including 16's and .410's (16's maybe in 6's rather than the smaller shot sizes preferred for grouse and woodcock), but I've never seen any 28's on their shelves.  And once, on a rainy day when we were taking a break from hunting, I did a lot of driving around the UP trying to find 28's.  (I was shooting my 28ga better than my 20ga backup gun.)  And all I could find was 1 oz 6's.

Guns . . . the Spanish, in general, were somewhat late to the 16ga game.  But that's back in the old days when they were copying what the American market seemed to demand:  Mostly 20's and 12's, mostly PG/BT and often single trigger.  Once they recognized the shift among American sxs fans to the British game gun configuration, then we started getting some 16's along with straight grip/splinter/DT.  Browning, lone among manufacturers providing large numbers of guns to the US market, has paid at least some attention to the 16ga crowd:  the Citori 16's (sporadically), and more recently the new version of the Sweet 16--weighing what more 16ga shooters want it to.  And in very modern (if not necessarily brand new) guns, you can find a fair number of Merkel 16's, both sxs and OU.  In addition, of course, to the American classics in "the ultimate upland gauge".

Harry

Don,

Good point and I definitely said it wrong. The 16 is a great compromise for the uplands for more than one reason. However, future generations became enamored with the idea more is better. Which cumulated in 3-3.5inch 20's and 12's, which lead to heavier guns so they wouldn't be knocked around.

American manufacturers have long been behind on making easy pointing and balanced shotguns. Any Grouse Gun to them was something with the barrels cut off to 26inches. Weight and balance meant little. "Here, this is what you want."

American's bought into the pitch the 20 was the do it all and the 16 slowly died on the vine.

However, as far as the distances most Grouse are killed the "inferior" 16 loadings may actually have some merit. Pheasants???? I would prefer a good shell with hard shot and a good wad, but keep your shots within a reasonable range and they are adequate. I suspect even our current "inferior" 16Ga offerings, pattern better than the over the shot cardboard and fiber wads that were available when the 16 was the Queen.

BlacknTan

While there may not be a 16 ga. event in registered Skeet, there is nothing to prevent someone from shooting a Sixteen in the Twelve ga. event. or even a .410 for that matter.

BlacknTan
On 11/5/2017 at 1:17 PM, Greg Hartman said:

Not true.  The only 16 bore cartridges with proper "upland tradition" are red - WW Super-X/Super-Speed papers.

30753524646_c365cb8747_h.jpg11-4-16 - Today's limit with Model 12 by Greg Hartman, on Flickr

Very true!

Not all 16 ga. hulls are purple!

le0Rsa8.jpg

And, I'm still quite partial to my RBL-16..

l4ZCO0B.jpg?2

Greg Hartman
24 minutes ago, BlacknTan said:

l4ZCO0B.jpg?2

Wow!!  I can see why.

BlacknTan
1 minute ago, Greg Hartman said:

Wow!!  I can see why.

Thank you, Greg.

Volumes have been written about CSMC, and the RBL. Not all of it favorable, but I love mine. I've shot a fair number of clay targets with it also, and it has been utterly reliable. It fits me well, and for my good self, carries nicely.

Harry

Who knows? At one time they made a 3in 16Ga. My Father's Parker was one. Had the hang tag at one time, but it eventually disintegrated into pieces. However, I still have 3 shells from that long ago time. I have a miserable cold so to pass time:

For your viewing pleasure.

IMG_1628.jpg

IMG_1629.jpg

Greg Hartman

3" 16's - who knew??  Thanks for posting.

Dongotto

Good stuff about the different color shells and length! I will have to admit I like the federal purple hulls, but thats because thats what my grandpa had a lot of and always shot from his sweetie. I have several boxes of the purple federal papers also. About 15 years ago my local walmart had about 20 boxes of purple federal  that were 1 1/8, of 7 1/2 shot on clearance for 3.99. I bought them all and never saw them on the self again. 

Auto-5
On 11/13/2017 at 1:57 PM, BlacknTan said:

Very true!

Not all 16 ga. hulls are purple!

le0Rsa8.jpg

l4ZCO0B.jpg?2

"Not all 16ga. Hulls are purple" , But the pretty ones are 😉  but Mr Hartman is correct on one thing  that's a fine looking RBL for sure. Wow!

BlacknTan
1 hour ago, Auto-5 said:

"Not all 16ga. Hulls are purple" , But the pretty ones are 😉  but Mr Hartman is correct on one thing  that's a fine looking RBL for sure. Wow!

Thank you, Sir!

Don Steese
5 hours ago, Harry said:

Who knows? At one time they made a 3in 16Ga. My Father's Parker was one. Had the hang tag at one time, but it eventually disintegrated into pieces. However, I still have 3 shells from that long ago time. I have a miserable cold so to pass time:

For your viewing pleasure.

IMG_1628.jpg

IMG_1629.jpg

I learned something today!! Thanks!!!

That RBL is lovely!!!

Steve Van Dis

Yes. I shoot a 16 ga AyA which is built on a true 16ga action and it is a pleasure to carry and to shoot. My father and i each ordered one and it is one of the best decisions I ever made.... My only regret was going with 28" barrels instead of 29" or 30"......

DSC_0175.jpg