• Announcements

• Brad Eden

TO THOSE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UJ   01/06/2018

To the Guests who have decided to register for Membership. PLEASE read Terms of Service, not just checking it off. This is covered there: Add more info than just "hunting" or "Upland hunting" or "birds" or "outdoors" or similar nebulous terms in the required INTERESTS field. Despite this Boards strong spam filtering function, some Spam registrations do sneak through. I need an inkling that you are a human being not a Spam Bot tagging onto key words. Also please do not use a business name as your User Name. Thank you.
MAArcher

Vehicles that go over 200,000 miles?

MAArcher

I'm in a jam.  The timing belt broke on my wife's 2004 Xterra.  It will cost $800 to replace the belt and see diagnose if the motor is junk.  Its only worth around $3,000 so I don't know if I want to gamble $800 for it.  I bought here the Xterra because my family has had several Nissans go well over 200k miles.  So I'm looking for anther 04 Nissan or maybe an 08 (05-07's are defective).  Having a hard time locating a deal and I'm wondering what other people recommend for a used 4x4 or AWD vehicle that is also known to give many trouble free miles?  Any suggestions?   

Bluegill68

I have had 3 Toyotas that have broke 200K.

A '02 Camry currently at 305K, a '94 T-100 that was at 283K when I sold it and my current '04 Tundra is at 205K. All made it with nothing but routine maintenance except the T100 It blew a head gasket at 180K.

Biggggybmf

Toyota.  The 4runner and Tacoma would be my suggestion.  Currently have a 97 Tacoma with 301K and still running strong.

Clueless1

I know around here most mail is delivered by car.  EVERY mailman drives a Subaru on his/her route (I personally know of one over 300,000).  Smaller than the Xterra though. 

Another smaller one that I personally have had a good experience with is an 04 Honda CRV.  I am currently on 230,000 and nothing but routine maintenance and occasional ball joints when I forget it's not a truck. 

Little larger my Dad has had a Toyota 4Runner that he is about to hit 200,000 with no issues.

juneboy1

toyota

MAArcher

No rust issues with the Toyota's?

juneboy1
Just now, MAArcher said:

Not on any of the four modern ones I have owned. But I live in the south most of the year. My past fj40 and fj60's were rut suspect but they are much older.

mccuha

Well I'm the od ball. My wife has her first Toyota vehicle. Me I'm a chevy man . I know Toyotas are usually very reliable and hold there value. I drive all my vehicles until the wheels fall off. My last 2 chevys had 300,000 plus on them and My FIL owns his on business and is also a chevy man. He's had multiple vehicles that have had over 300,000 before he would get another one. Most vehicles even with over 100,000 will require parts replaced and the occasional transmission replaced. But all the trucks me and my FIL have had never had to replace the motor until it was over 300k. My past truck I just replaced. It was over the 300k mark and I would still be driving it but the motor went out and it was going to way more than the truck was worth.

406dn

If the motor is sound,, I'd pay for the repair and soldier on. If you get a year or so more out of the car, you are money ahead. Why would someone else sell a reliable 10+ year old rig they knew be dependable? That is when you get to own a rig at its cheapest total cost. 

You can never know everything about a vehicle before you own it. You can easily be buying another repair six months down the line. 

mccuha
11 minutes ago, MAArcher said:

you just don't see rust issues in the south except for those that live along the coast or those that are in the mountains.

apachecadillac

Have you considered a newer Xterra?  I've put 60,000 miles on one in the last three years and had zero trouble with it.  I had a cracked windshield (flying gravel on I-25) and replaced it for under $250.  I don't know what you're in a position to spend, but I agree that anything over ten years is a crapshoot, unless you're looking for a project car.

atticus

My 02 tundra just cleared 318,000.  I replaced the original timing belt at 275K.  Rust on the frame (it was not in a garage until 2012) has been repaired a few times by a local welder for a few hundred each time.  its the best vehicle II have ever owned.

WAGinVA

2006 Honda CRV, 325000 and is driven daily. No major repairs other than a failed AC compressor that required total replacement of the ac system.

MAArcher
40 minutes ago, 406dn said:

If the motor is sound,, I'd pay for the repair and soldier on. If you get a year or so more out of the car, you are money ahead. Why would someone else sell a reliable 10+ year old rig they knew be dependable? That is when you get to own a rig at its cheapest total cost. 

You can never know everything about a vehicle before you own it. You can easily be buying another repair six months down the line. 

That's the thing, its an interference motor, when the timing belt broke, there's a good chance the pistons and valves smashed into each other because it was running with the timing off.  I'm told the only way to know if there is piston and valve damage is to go ahead and replace the timing belt and see how it runs.  

mister grouse

go to a junk yard and find a used timing belt for nothing.... put it on and see what happens .  Then buy a used suburban if the X T won't run.