• Announcements

• Brad Eden

TO THOSE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UJ   01/06/2018

To the Guests who have decided to register for Membership. PLEASE read Terms of Service, not just checking it off. This is covered there: Add more info than just "hunting" or "Upland hunting" or "birds" or "outdoors" or similar nebulous terms in the required INTERESTS field. Despite this Boards strong spam filtering function, some Spam registrations do sneak through. I need an inkling that you are a human being not a Spam Bot tagging onto key words. Also please do not use a business name as your User Name. Thank you.
MAArcher

Vehicles that go over 200,000 miles?

sxsneubaum

2000 Toyota Tundra with 245,000 and still going. 

Flush
25 minutes ago, tut said:

FWIW, the Toyota 4Runner and Tacoma has a timing chain for models made from 2005 on.  

Except for the 4runners with the V8 through 09. 

All those 4.7l V8s had belts.

snapt
43 minutes ago, Felix said:

Just curious, do all you guys with 200K + change your timing belts at a certain point?  I had one go in a company car that I was driving with 180K miles on it. It toasted the engine.  So, when my personal CRV got to 120K I had a new timing belt put in. It was a lot cheaper than waiting until it breaks.

What year is that? We've had Elements and CRV's from 06 on and they've all had timing chains rather than belts. One less thing to worry about.

barna

With the older Hondas it use to be 60K miles for the timing belt replacement, but the newer ones were at 100K.  On my 97 Accord I replaced the timing belt about 220K, on my wife’s Odyssey at 180K.  The 2014 CRV does not have a timing belt. Honda phased out the timing belt in their engines.

Barna   

Felix
3 hours ago, snapt said:

What year is that? We've had Elements and CRV's from 06 on and they've all had timing chains rather than belts. One less thing to worry about.

98'  Loved that vehicle and it still ran great when I traded it in last year.

59fbb625eb6ae_SCAN035.thumb.jpg.eeb912a093f39059db674c2b167c0eaf.jpg

stwilgefortis

Toyotas 

Kansas Big Dog
4 hours ago, tut said:

FWIW, the Toyota 4Runner and Tacoma has a timing chain for models made from 2005 on.  

With all this talk of timing belt failure, I thought I should check out my own vehicle, a 2008 Ford Escape, 2.3L 4cyl, manual tranny. Apparently the 2.3 L and the 2.5 L are Mazda designed motors that have timing chains. If you are looking for a good used car, the Escapes with 4cyl motors are really good buys. I get about 25 mpg in mine, it is a big 4 cyl with lots of power. It acTually does better going down mud roads than my F-150 as it is really light. Just keep it going and go over the top of the mud!

Uplander

2006 Toyota FJ Cruiser about to hit 232,000 miles.

Flush
17 minutes ago, Kansas Big Dog said:

.Apparently the 2.3 L and the 2.5 L are Mazda designed motors that have timing chains. If you are looking for a good used car, the Escapes with 4cyl motors are really good buys. 

Yes the 2.3L and 2.5L Duratec engines (used in the Escapes) are dual overhead cam and have a timing chain.

Note that the older (before approximately 2001) 2.3L "Lima" engine used in Fords and Mazdas used a belt. I actually had a belt in a Mazda B2300 (which had the 2.3L engine) break, luckily it was a non-interfernce engine, so it wasn't a huge deal.

charlo slim
31 minutes ago, Kansas Big Dog said:

With all this talk of timing belt failure, I thought I should check out my own vehicle, a 2008 Ford Escape, 2.3L 4cyl, manual tranny. Apparently the 2.3 L and the 2.5 L are Mazda designed motors that have timing chains. If you are looking for a good used car, the Escapes with 4cyl motors are really good buys. I get about 25 mpg in mine, it is a big 4 cyl with lots of power. It acTually does better going down mud roads than my F-150 as it is really light. Just keep it going and go over the top of the mud!

Is your vehicle front wd or awd?

Dave Quindt

My '98 Silverado had 276k when I traded it in at 10 years of age; my current '08 Silverado has 210k.  Neither have had any problems out of the ordinary.

Kansas Big Dog
9 hours ago, charlo slim said:

Is your vehicle front wd or awd?

Front wheel drive.  I was out hunting very rural in NW KS last year and there was a micro burst of 8" snow on a very small area. The sun came out and melted the snow and the main roads were really, really bad. At one point, I could not get up a hill and I got out and took a look. My rear wheels were not turning due to the mud packed in the wheel wells. The rear wheels had not been spinning for a while. I could see the rear tires had been pulled through the mud. So, I think Front wheel drive works well.

Bede

I would worry about more than just the Nissan years you mentioned if you are looking at automatic transmission versions of the Xterra or Frontier. There is a well known issue of an internal radiator failure causing coolant and transmission fluid to mix, destroying the transmission. It is my understanding this is an issue up to 2010 models. I considered Nissans when shopping for a used vehicle 4 years ago and this was an issue as I was looking at older vehicles. 

At that time I bought a 2005 Pilot, a vehicle that has quite a following here, and it nickel and dimed me to no end. It was comfortable, had great acceleration for it's size and had a tremendous amount of room. It also had constant issues with the front suspension and consumed a copious amount of oil, had a massive radiator failure (external), and still uses a timing belt, which makes no sense. 

Between the oil consumption (well over half the oil between changes, sometimes more) and what appeared to be transmission issues, I traded it in for what I could get. 

Currently driving a Forester. FlyChamps highly recommended them. I think it is absolutely the ideal vehicle for me at this time. I don't think another small crossover outside of some of the Jeeps offers the same off road capability, but Jeeps have reliability issues. It is also very spacious for the overall size, offers excellent visibility, and gets impressive MPG. I have gotten as high as 35MPG on highway trips with my family, typically 32-33 on the highway.

I think with the head gasket issues in the past, this Subaru should go for 200k. Time will tell. 

Bede

I'll add, and I have waxed poetic about this vehicle many times here, that I had an 03 Tacoma. THe best vehicle I have ever owned. I lived in the mountains and didn't have kids when I owned it. It saw many miles of dirt roads. It was the best put together vehicle I ever owned. Never needed anything other than routine maintenance, such as O2 sensor and a muffler at one point. It was a 4x4, regular cab, 2.7L 4cyl, an engine that is a true marvel. No reasonable place it couldn't go. 

NECarson

Any modern vehicle will typically run 200k without needing anything significant.