MAArcher

Vehicles that go over 200,000 miles?

idcut

My daughter's Subaru is at 268,000 and is still chugging along fine. We/she bought it with about 145,000 miles and other than routine maintenance and a few instances where parts needed replacing, it has been trouble free. The previous owner had meticulous maintenance records and at around 100,000 miles had replaced the head gasket and it had been serviced on a fairly strict schedule. She complained at the time about the number of miles, but with dear old dad footing the majority of the bill (she was a poor college student at the time), it fit within what I was willing to spend. I'd say she got a decent deal on it!

My old Jeep Cherokee had 240,000 miles on it and it was starting to require more and more part replacements, so I sold it.

Dave in Maine

Driving a 96 Volvo 850 turbo sedan.  Not an off-pavement vehicle, but it gets me there.  Pushing 200k, almost all in New England, parked outside 365/yr - a Mass. car which I bought used in Maine. -10F outside and it starts.  In the last 3 years I have:

replaced the fuel tank, which has an integral fuel pump -  the pump failed pretty much on schedule at 155k

replaced the timing belt 2 yr ago at about 160k, a scheduled replacement b/c they're supposedly good for 55k to 60k and it was coming due;  it's an interference motor

replaced the water pump at the same time as the timing belt (once you're in there on the timing belt, it's sensible to fix it at the same time ahead of expected failure about 160k- 170k)

replaced the right front prop shaft (u-joint boot failed)

brakes all around

tires all around

replaced a ball-and-socket type joint in the exhaust - leaking, needed to be fixed to pass inspection

replaced the evaporator core for the A/C (Failed) and, while he was in there (have to remove everything between the front seats and the firewall to get at the evaporator core) had him replace the odometer gears (odometer had failed at 162k - known problem:  the gears' plastic and the lube Volvo put on them are incompatible, so a tooth breaks at about 160k and the odo stops;  one has to rip open the dash to get at it.  there's a 37 step process to do that, so while the A/C was being fixed... )

replaced the ABS module (wore out/  known problem:  bad soldering on the circuit board at the factory;  needed it to pass inspection)

replaced the fuel pump module (like a 30 dollar part that took a minute, literally, to trade out)

replaced a motor mount

replaced a taillight cluster mount (bad soldering at the factory led to intermittent shorts)

replaced the water pump, timing belt (while you're in there... also wipes out the chance of breaking the belt b/c of the unknown number of miles I drove while the odo was broken) and tensioners/idlers again, this week - the last pump wore out after only 2 years b/c of misalignment on the pulleys

had a splash shield break (ran up on a concrete "log" marking a parking space) and fixed (w/ cable ties, I think)

took one rear-end hit (no appreciable damage) and a little body rust.

But, it's a car I like , it's a running machine and I look at maintaining it as the equivalent of car payments.  I figure I'm still way ahead.

Previously I had a 2002 Saturn which gave me 172k over 10 years and still had more to give, had I wanted to cure the leaky head gasket causing a bit of smoke.  But I didn't.

charlo slim
3 hours ago, Kansas Big Dog said:

Front wheel drive.  I was out hunting very rural in NW KS last year and there was a micro burst of 8" snow on a very small area. The sun came out and melted the snow and the main roads were really, really bad. At one point, I could not get up a hill and I got out and took a look. My rear wheels were not turning due to the mud packed in the wheel wells. The rear wheels had not been spinning for a while. I could see the rear tires had been pulled through the mud. So, I think Front wheel drive works well.

Agreed.  The only serious snag I've encountered with mine (4 cyl Toyo Highlander) involved a very very steep road (more of a trail actually) with lots of loose rock and gravel.  Way to hell and gone along a river canyon.  Going in went just fine of course ,  but I could NOT get back up and out despite numerous runs at it.  I was about to set out on a very long trek for help when the "DUHHH!"  moment finally struck my fuzzy little brain.  Turned it around and came right on out of the predicament in reverse. No fuss, no muss, no wheel spin.  Lesson learnt..... eventually.

The Highlander has been extremely trouble free through 140k so far and fits our needs well. Suburban (180k) is held in reserve for situations calling for lots of room and/or 4wd capability.  In many of the places I hunt, one is pissing off farmers / ranchers by tearing up wet roads in 4wd anyway.  Some boot leather (and a "game cart"  for toting out big critters) very often promotes better PR with the land hosts.. 

I suspect that a used Escape might well make excellent sense economically though and will be looking hard at that option  when the time comes -- hopefully not for quite a while yet!

springerguy

My wife and I drive a lot.  I put 337,000 miles on a 2005 Subaru Outback and sold it with it's original clutch.

My wife had a 2008 Tacoma that she put 278,000 on.  No significant rust.... but we washed it regularly and had had it under coated.  We traded it this year.

I currently have a 2013 Toyota 4Runner with 108,000-ish miles on it... all of them are mine.  I bought it new.  I expect to get 300k out of it.

My wife just got a 2016 4Runner with 20k on it.  It was a lease that came back.  Again,  we'd like to get 300k out of it.

mcgreg

Seems 200k is a slam dunk for most vehicles with normal maintenance. I ran 2 different jeep cherokes with 4.0litre engine, 5 speed manual trans 300k and then sold them still running well. The last one was dying a severe Michigan salt death however. Like most really good things, the Jeep gods killed those Cherokee designs (in 2001)  in favor of new fangled designs, verdict is pretty well still out on those at this point.

Larry Brown

Just traded in a Honda CRV with 200K+.  No issues.  Only did so because it was due for a new set of tires, and since our other vehicle is a Ford Ranger 4wd, we really don't need 2 vehicles that will go through anything.  Traded on a new Corolla.  CRV was decent mileage for a vehicle of its class (about 26 mpg), but the Corolla tops that by 10 mpg or more.

settem
3 hours ago, mcgreg said:

Seems 200k is a slam dunk for most vehicles with normal maintenance. I ran 2 different jeep cherokes with 4.0litre engine, 5 speed manual trans 300k and then sold them still running well. The last one was dying a severe Michigan salt death however. Like most really good things, the Jeep gods killed those Cherokee designs (in 2001)  in favor of new fangled designs, verdict is pretty well still out on those at this point.

I sure loved the XJ's too!

lots of room, good power, mileage, and just rock solid dependable!

On top of that, the things were just about as capable off-road as anything Jeep ever built. 

Chrysler sure screwed the pooch when they stopped production of the 4.0...

There is not a Jeep vehicle built today that I would purchase. 

MAArcher

Well lucky me.  A different mechanic said since it was parked when the belt went it wasn't likely to have any valve damage.  He said if we gave him a shot at fixing it, he wouldn't charge us if he couldn't get it running, and if he did, it was only $600.  On day and $600 later my wife's back on the road with new timing and drive belts and water pump.  I don't think he did the camshaft and crankshaft seals, tensioner spring or thermostat like I would have liked, but maybe we'll get lucky and those parts won't go any time soon.

But after shopping around, there seems to be a lot of good deals out there for cheap 4x4 transportation.  Clean 04 or older Xterra's, with under 150k miles can be had for $3k or less. If you buy one of those, do a complete timing belt kit ($700-$900), you could likely get 100k miles for $4k (not counting tires and routine maintenance).   I think that's a smoking deal for a 4x4.  17mpg isn't great, but its a bigger more capable machine than a CRV or Rav4.  My son will need a vehicle in a year so I may keep shopping and grab a deal when I find it, the good deals go quick when they pop up on craigslist.  Its kind of strange, I remember in the early 90's you couldn't get decent 4x4 transportation with life left in it for under $4k.  I guess they don't make them like they used to, they make them even better?

salmontogue
36 minutes ago, MAArcher said:

Well lucky me.  A different mechanic said since it was parked when the belt went it wasn't likely to have any valve damage.  He said if we gave him a shot at fixing it, he wouldn't charge us if he couldn't get it running, and if he did, it was only $600.  On day and $600 later my wife's back on the road with new timing and drive belts and water pump.  I don't think he did the camshaft and crankshaft seals, tensioner spring or thermostat like I would have liked, but maybe we'll get lucky and those parts won't go any time soon.

But after shopping around, there seems to be a lot of good deals out there for cheap 4x4 transportation.  Clean 04 or older Xterra's, with under 150k miles can be had for $3k or less. If you buy one of those, do a complete timing belt kit ($700-$900), you could likely get 100k miles for $4k (not counting tires and routine maintenance).   I think that's a smoking deal for a 4x4.  17mpg isn't great, but its a bigger more capable machine than a CRV or Rav4.  My son will need a vehicle in a year so I may keep shopping and grab a deal when I find it, the good deals go quick when they pop up on craigslist.  Its kind of strange, I remember in the early 90's you couldn't get decent 4x4 transportation with life left in it for under $4k.  I guess they don't make them like they used to, they make them even better?

There are plenty of two and three year old off lease vehicles and certified pre-owned vehicles that have driven down prices in the used market except for pickups. 

Perk

RuffChaser

I have an 2004 Trailblazer that just hit 246,000 Friday. On Saturday evening it killed it's 4th Deer. It was the MN Deer opener so I guess it was to be expected. I was with the wife on a last minute weekend vacation. We were 3+ hours from home and I wasn't prepared to skin and clean a deer and drive it home with 3 setters and my wife in the truck. It wasn't completely dead on impact and the wife was traumatized enough. She actually knows how to butcher a deer which would have been a tremendous help but with no knives, coolers, etc I had to say no to the tag I was asked if I wanted. Two of the 4 kills were pretty significant with the second one costing $13,000 to repair.

I managed to drive it back Sunday. Mechanically it's mostly fine. The windshield took a pretty good hit and it has lots of dents/ dings, and a side mirror that was almost ripped off. I'm surprised I wasn't pulled over for either the side mirror or the windshield on the way home. This may be the end of the d for this vehicle. It has been a great vehicle for me. If it's totaled I'll probably go up in size to a Tahoe, used.

CountryLife

No surprise here: 2005 Honda Accord LX with 305,000 miles and original clutch.  We're the original owners, I do all the maintenance and plan on driving it till the wheels fall off.  No timing belt on this year/model.

barna
40 minutes ago, CountryLife said:

No surprise here: 2005 Honda Accord LX with 305,000 miles and original clutch.  We're the original owners, I do all the maintenance and plan on driving it till the wheels fall off.  No timing belt on this year/model.

The Honda 4cyl engines 2003 (maybe 2002 not sure) model and after do not have timing belts, but the V6 still does.

Barna

NECarson
11 hours ago, MAArcher said:

Its kind of strange, I remember in the early 90's you couldn't get decent 4x4 transportation with life left in it for under $4k.  I guess they don't make them like they used to, they make them even better?

Exactly. $4k is less money than it was in the early 90s, and it will buy you a more reliable, more comfortable, more efficient vehicle. 

I'm not even that old, and I'm already saying how easy kids today have it! 

forestdump

Jeep cherokee

Quailbum

2001 Toyota Tundra, currently 610,000 miles. Original engine, never rebuilt, and original transmission.