Flairball

Tactic Advice

Flairball

As I mentioned in an earlier post I was selected to take part in the Blue Hills Management Archery hunt. It's been a long time since I've bow hunted, and I've never hunted an area like this. So I am looking for some tactical advice.I've hung my stand in a nice spot. In fact I am quite excited about the spot I found. I'm wondering about calling and scenting tactics. In the past I've had good luck with rattling, and grunting. There are too many does so I don't think rattling will work. Because of the number of does I also don't think a doe can bleat will work. The bucks in the area have no need to seek out hot does. That also makes me think does scents would be a waste of time. Of course I'll have my grunt tube; I know that can turn a buck, but I doubt I'll cold call. So, any advice? I have no problem just sitting and waiting, but I'm wondering what else I may employ to help out.

garyRI

I believe you can create activity in an area for a couple days in early rut (now) by putting out doe in heat scent. Also have called in bucks with a bleat but keep in mind they will be careful and you might not see them. Also I have shot bucks after rattling but I don't go nuts like they do in hunting videos. Just some rattling every 15 minutes. I EITHER rattle, bleat or grunt and never "lots".. 

Flairball
1 hour ago, garyRI said:

I believe you can create activity in an area for a couple days in early rut (now) by putting out doe in heat scent. Also have called in bucks with a bleat but keep in mind they will be careful and you might not see them. Also I have shot bucks after rattling but I don't go nuts like they do in hunting videos. Just some rattling every 15 minutes. I EITHER rattle, bleat or grunt and never "lots".. 

I don't disagree with anything you've said. I've rattled in bucks, and grunted them in, but not had much success with the bleat. I'm certain those tactics work in the right scenario. My understanding has always been that for those tactics to work it must be a nearly balanced buck:doe ratio. I will be hunting in an area here the buck:doe ratio is way out of balance. So far out of balance that unlimited doe tags are being issued. How would you alter these tactics in an area like this? In many ways I feel like rattling, and bleating would sound out of place and give my position away. As for scents, I am planning to hang a doe scent wafer from my stand just to help break up my scent down wind. 

WPG Gizmo

Are you looking to hunt Bucks or Does I would focus on the food and that is where you will find the does.  The problem with a out of whack buck/does ratio is that the bucks do not have to go looking for does all they have to do is hang out with a group. 

Hunt the does you will find the bucks.

As for calls a Fawn in distress Bleat works well when there are a lot of Does I use it early morning just as the sun is coming up and it is legal shooting.. 

I would use a calming scent the one I like is ConQuest EverCalm comes in a tube like Antiperspirant just rub it on a few trees around your stand.

mccuha

Where I hunt does way outnumber the bucks.  Rattling can work but I personally focus on food sources like wpg gizmo said.  I also look for scrapes in an area around food.  If I see signs of bucks chasing I may get aggressive and rattle or grunt or both.  I usually just try to be as quite as possible most times.  JMO

garyRI
19 hours ago, Flairball said:

I will be hunting in an area here the buck:doe ratio is way out of balance. So far out of balance that unlimited doe tags are being issued.

It is early rut right now. Bucks are on the move but does mostly not ready so doe in heat scent can work for a short period (& frankly better for small bucks but I think all bucks figure out something is "off" after 24-48 hours). The smell of YOU is what would give your position away. I use fox urine as a cover scent. I buy a half gallon at the beginning of the season, decant into smaller spray bottles and leave one on each stand.

Brad Eden

Opposite for me. Never rattled in a chipmunk but have called in plenty of does and bucks with a can bleat call. Many with a bow in hand. If you are in a good spot don't complicate things with all sorts of noises and scents. But do blind call. Do a bleat sequence of 4 or so bleats every 15 minutes. Follow each sequence with some buck grunts. The clicky tending type grunt or whatever grunt. This won't scare any deer in the area and will potentially steer them your way. If you see deer out of range try the bleat and grunt and see if they will come to investigate. I was using a can bleat followed by grunts just this afternoon/evening from a ladder stand. The 4 does that appeared over my right shoulder at 40 yards may have been coming in without the calls, no saying, but the calling certainly didn't scare them off. I scoped them (rifle season) and let them pass. I have a Doe permit but frankly am exhausted from 6 days of babysitting a generator and a house without power and the thought of a long drag wasn't pleasant. Plus I already have a Doe and buck on ice from a bow season. Good luck.

Flairball

Thanks for the input, guys. 

The season opens tomorrow, and I think what I'll do is just sit quietly and see what is happening being it is the first day. I am in a spot with lots of sign, and 2 big fresh scrapes nearby. I'll have my grunt handy incase I see a buck out of range. I've turned them and brought them in using a grunt in the past, so I feel confident using a grunt. As the season progresses I'll try other things if they seem appropriate. I may not have to do much. This place is loaded with deer.

Brad Eden

What are you shooting for a bow? Poundage? Broadhead?

Flairball

I'm shooting a Reflex Buckskin split limb compound @ 60lbs. I still use aluminum Easton arrows, and NAP 125gr 3 blade mechanical broadheads. 

Brad Eden

Good luck. And deer hunting does include luck, but it sounds like you are earnest in your preparation and efforts. There is nothing like arrowing a whitetail. Are you hunting bucks only or are does allowed, and if so would you shoot one? Typically management hunts focus on the killing of does.

Flairball

We are encouraged to shoot does, and allowed to kill 4. I am a meat hunter, but know the quality of the bucks in this area. I will probably shoot the first good deer that comes by. If it's a doe then I've filled my meat locker, and can spend the rest of the season hoping a good buck comes by. I feel like this hunt is my best chance at a really good buck. 

Brad Eden

I find management hunts fascinating. I hunt what's called the Expanded Archery season in ME. This is a long season in zones where deer are prolific and cause collision, and landscaping problems etc. Those zones are typically in urban environments. We are allowed one buck tag and limitless Doe tags for a fee for each tag. This isn't the same as your hunt but similar in concept. The area I hunt tends to have mostly does, but bucks do show up, around now, searching for hot does. (I was lucky when an 8 pt came early about 3 weeks ago so filled my buck tag) For me any deer is an accomplishment with a bow, and pretty much any buck is a trophy. What do you consider a really good buck for that area? 

Irishwhistler

There's a new camo pattern out called "Orchard 3D"  that makes ye look and smell like a pile o' apples.  Buy some and git'er done. 😂😊😂

Irishwhistler 🍀🇺🇸🇮🇪

topdog1961

I've got a decoy and find it will bring in any kind of deer. They are effective where you have long sight lines, like at the edge of an open field. If I put it out as a doe, mature bucks will come to it, but so will does and those tasty button bucks, just out of curiosity.