• Announcements

• Brad Eden

TO THOSE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UJ   01/06/2018

To the Guests who have decided to register for Membership. PLEASE add more info than just  "hunting" or "Upland hunting" or "birds" or "outdoors" or similar nebulous terms in the required INTERESTS field. Despite this Boards strong spam filtering it is not bullet proof, so Spam registrations do sneak through. I need an inkling that you are a warm blooded human being not a Spam Bot tagging onto key words. Thank you.
Flairball

Tactic Advice

Flairball
7 hours ago, Brad Eden said:

What do you consider a really good buck for that area? 

A good buck in this management area would be a heavy horned 8pt or larger. They are here. The biggest buck I've ever seen on the hoof I saw here working with the dog a couple years ago. He was a big 8 Pt with beams as thick as my wrist. Big body, too.

Today was a weird day. I could have gotten on stand 1/2 hour earlier. There was another hunter a couple hundred yards away from my stand, set up right on the hiking trail. I don't care that he is close by, but on the trail will be a problem. His problem. I jumped 3 deer walking in, 1 right by my stand. On the way out I jumped another near my stand, and a big bodied spike horn bedded right on the side of the main trail. I walked right up on him, to about 10 yards. The encounter scared me as much as it scared him. The wind wasn't good. It wasn't bad, but it kept swirling, and gusting the wrong way. 

Anyway, I'll get up even earlier tomorrow, but I'm working Weds, and Thursday I'm headed north for the weekend to get Ginger on some grouse.

Brad Eden

Any update Larry? We are living vicariously through you and your management hunt. No pressure though...

Flairball

I wish I had something good to report. I've been in my stand 3 days, and I've seen deer everytime, but none close enough to gat a shot. My stand is in a good spot, but it depends on a north wind. The wind is usually out of the north around here, but lately it's been variable or from the south, so I'll spending the rest of my days ground sitting.

Now, my stand is in a spot with lots of sign and scrapes nearby. Too good of a spot, apparently. Yesterday, when I got to my stand in the dark I was surprised to find someone had put 2 posted signs on my tree, and left a note stating no hunting in the reservation, and that the game wardens will be notified if I don't remove my stand. The trouble is, 1) I have a permit to hunt there, 2) the type written note, while it tried to sound official failed horribly in the grammar and punctuation department, 3) contained no letterhead. My initial thought was that it was an anti-hunter trying to use some type of passive aggressive action, but I also didn't want to run afoul of the DCR, so I reported it to the rangers, who were interested and wanted to see the note. So I dropped the note and the signs at the ranger station. Later, the ranger calls me and asked for the GPS coordinates of my stand. The chief wants to be sure I am on DCR property, which I am. Of course I don't have the GPS coordinated, but I'm not doing anything at that time so I tell him I could meet him and walk him in. Turns out this was the best idea I've had in a long time, for a couple of reasons. Anyway, we hike the 1 1/4 mile to my stand, and he confirms I am 100% legal. But, as we are standing there looking around a bit he notices a bright green rope hanging in a tree 60 yards across from my stand. We go to inspect, and what do we find? Yup. A tree stand. But not only that, an illegal tree stand. The DCR has strict rules; no screw in steps, no branch cutting. Well, this guy had screw in steps, and trimmed quite a few big branches to climb the tree. Branches as thick as my wrist were freshly sawn. So that stand was GPS marked, and the EPOs called. What I liked a lot was the rangers attitude about the stand. After the EPOs make their report he will bring his chain saw and cut down the tree. He said he doesn't climb trees to get stands. It was also odd that when we were walking in we saw a guy pop out on the trail well ahead of us, and when he saw us he took off running through the woods. 

Anyway, on our walk out, in the dark, we bumped into 2 hunters coming out, one of which turned out to be one of the guys who hunts my buddy's property where I also hunt, and with whom I've done deer drives.

I'f the rain isn't too bad later I will do an afternoon hunt.

Flairball

Well, my archery season came to an end this evening without filling a tag. It was an enjoyable hunt, but unfortunately real life got in the way and I was only able to get out 4 days. I did see deer, but none came under my stand. The area I chose to hunt holds lots of deer, but it's really thick. Perhaps I would have been better off hanging my stand in another area, but the area I chose is one I spend a lot of time in, and I know it well.  

Anyway, off to England for 2 weeks next Wednesday, and then when I get back it'll be muzzleloader season. Maybe I can fill a tag then. 

Brad Eden

Thanks for the update. Bowhunting deer is a tough row to how. No matter how or where. But you gave it a shot, that's all that counts.

Flairball
2 hours ago, Brad Eden said:

Thanks for the update. Bowhunting deer is a tough row to how. No matter how or where. But you gave it a shot, that's all that counts.

One either has to be lucky or good. I don't have it in me to work at being good; too much of a commitment. My days of hanging multiple stands for every wind direction and time day are behind me. I'll scout a bit, hang a stand, and spend a few days hoping to get lucky. 

MAArcher
On 11/21/2017 at 8:50 PM, Flairball said:

One either has to be lucky or good. I don't have it in me to work at being good; too much of a commitment. My days of hanging multiple stands for every wind direction and time day are behind me. I'll scout a bit, hang a stand, and spend a few days hoping to get lucky. 

You need a summit viper sd climber stand.    20lbs and hunt almost anywhere you want.

Flairball
1 minute ago, MAArcher said:

You need a summit viper sd climber stand.    20lbs and hunt almost anywhere you want.

You are right about that, but truthfully, I don't care for climbing stands. 

Anyway, I see some serious deer hunting in my future; found out today my sister and brother-in-law bought a house witn15 acres in S. New Hampshire. :D

MAArcher
5 hours ago, Flairball said:

Anyway, I see some serious deer hunting in my future; found out today my sister and brother-in-law bought a house witn15 acres in S. New Hampshire. :D

Well let me know if u want to try mine before you buy.  What makes the viper so special is the rail, sling seat and the sit and climb method.   I’m afraid of heights if I don’t have some security and could never use the open seat ones even if I had the core strength to use them.  With the viper I can climb up 25 feet without breaking a sweat and feel so secure and comfortable that some of the best naps I’ve ever had were in a tree.  They are certainly a game changer.

MAArcher
On 11/26/2017 at 2:30 PM, Flairball said:

For a house warming present, buy and plant a few apple trees for them.