• Announcements

• Brad Eden

TO THOSE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UJ   01/06/2018

To the Guests who have decided to register for Membership. PLEASE read Terms of Service, not just checking it off. This is covered there: Add more info than just "hunting" or "Upland hunting" or "birds" or "outdoors" or similar nebulous terms in the required INTERESTS field. Despite this Boards strong spam filtering function, some Spam registrations do sneak through. I need an inkling that you are a human being not a Spam Bot tagging onto key words. Also please do not use a business name as your User Name. Thank you.
Sign in to follow this  
Speedgoat44

97 GMC - UJ Gearheads unite!

Speedgoat44

Ok Goodwrench  family,  weird issue..97 GMC Sierra cranks hard, and starts 93% of the time.  The other 7% you're stranded far from where you want to be.  Long story.  Anyway, what causes an intermittent start like this - engine ALWAYS cranks hard until battery dies. Often if I leave it for awhile (1 hr, sometimes 1 day) it fires up right away.  Zero fuel pressure when this occurs - happened once at a friend's shop - he confirmed with a fuel gauge that no fuel pressure was present. What the h-e-l-l?  Any thoughts?  My first thought was fuel pump, but it never, ever quits once it gets going - seems electrical somehow.  Thoughts?  Thanks!

greg jacobs

Had exactly the same issue.

Had an intermittent fuel pump problem in the tank. Part of the time you could hear it running but no pressure. There was also a problem with the wiring harness in the tank also. Had my tank our of the suburban 3 or 4 times. Got pretty fast at it. I bet the pickups had the same problems. When it wouldn't start I could pour some gas down the throat and it would start for a few seconds. After the first pump it was every 40 thousand. My son in law had a pickup that did the same thing. Harder to get at the tank on the pickup than the suburban was.

Speedgoat44

Thanks Greg - You can cut a hole in the bed to get to the fuel pump, but I'd hate to go through all of that and have it be something else.  Did your intermittent fuel issues and start issues go away after you replaced the fuel pump?

greg jacobs

Yup fixed it every time. My son in law cut a hole in his bed. One time I even put the fuel pump in a can of gas and it pumped. Put it back in and nothing. Changed it and fixed. One of the times it was the short harness. They usually come with the fuel pump.

greg jacobs

Can't say that is your problem but mine did exactly what yours is doing. I wasn't sure the first time so I put a little gas down the throat and it started for a couple seconds so I knew it was a fuel problem then. Mine was a 350 vortex or whatever it was called.

NECarson

Turn the key on for a second or so a half dozen times. If it starts right up, it's the fuel pressure regulator. 

Which on yours isn't on the pump. 

In tank pumps aren't hard to replace, I just did mine. Most of the time was in pulling the bed. 

bobman

when it happens get someone  to tap hard on the bottom middle of the tank with the side of their fist while you turn it over

if it starts you need a fuel pump it’s worn out and hanging up, pretty common

have a shop do it I do a lot of things myself but this is a PITA to do

settem

If it's a 5.7 It's got to see 60lbs of fuel pressure, or it won't fire the ignition. 

I would suspect the fuel pump too. 

It could be trash in the tank or a clogged  filter sock, but after drop the tank or remove the bed, you might as well replace it. 

If I have a strong back handy I will pull the bed. If not I carefully jack up the front of the bed. Make sure to shore it up well before you get under the bed. 

Not much will strand a Silverado, but a fuel pump sure will.  I make it a point to replace the fuel filter yearly. 

J_ellard

Pull the bed and just set it back on the wheels. Pump's right up front.  2 man job though. Don't forget to unplug your lights. Jacking the bed up always got a little sketchy for my taste. 

uplandave
20 hours ago, J_ellard said:

Pull the bed and just set it back on the wheels. Pump's right up front.  2 man job though. Don't forget to unplug your lights. Jacking the bed up always got a little sketchy for my taste. 

That is what I did. Figured it was easier than trying to drop the tank especially if the beds bolts aren’t too rusty. Good luck, Dave

ARKBRDHUNTER

My 98, the fuel pump started to get weak. It would start but if you really needed to accelerate it would bog down. I carried an old axe handle slid under the tool box to tap the gas tank in case it failed. Got the pump replaced as my fuel gauge quit working and required removal of tank or bed anyway. Acceleration issue went away( didn't know the pump was the cause, just figured it was high mileage related), new fuel gauge worked for about 6 months and freaked out again but pump working great. 

Fur and Feathers

I have a friend with a 97 chevy pick up. He has had to replace the fuel pump 4or5 times. Seems to be a common problem. Rep!ace with the best quality you can. I think he may have gotten a few junk remans.

NW River Mac
On 11/6/2017 at 8:43 PM, NECarson said:

Turn the key on for a second or so a half dozen times. If it starts right up, it's the fuel pressure regulator. 

Which on yours isn't on the pump. 

In tank pumps aren't hard to replace, I just did mine. Most of the time was in pulling the bed. 

Yep, this.  Had it happen twice to me.  Once on a Volvo and the other time on a S10.

settem

Well Speedgoat?

Did u get to the bottom of the trouble?

Speedgoat44

Ended up being the fuel pump assembly after all...not going to tackle it myself even though it seems pretty straightforward.  More trouble than I want to go through, but not looking forward to parting with $700...I guess I can (sort of) feel good knowing that's just roughly one or two monthly payments on a 2018, right?  :) Thanks for all of the input UJers!