• Announcements

• Brad Eden

TO THOSE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UJ   01/06/2018

To the Guests who have decided to register for Membership. PLEASE read Terms of Service, not just checking it off. This is covered there: Add more info than just "hunting" or "Upland hunting" or "birds" or "outdoors" or similar nebulous terms in the required INTERESTS field. Despite this Boards strong spam filtering function, some Spam registrations do sneak through. I need an inkling that you are a human being not a Spam Bot tagging onto key words. Also please do not use a business name as your User Name. Thank you.
L Kenney

Small trucks

L Kenney

I'm narrowing down my options on a used Tacoma and am focusing on second gen 2008s-2010s, and first gen 2001s-2005s.   Given the apparent reliability and long life of well maintained Tacomas, I'm not sure it's worth double money to pay for the later models.  A couple of 2000 Access Cab Prerunners have my interest. Both seem well maintained, with good paint, interior and no apparent rust on leaf springs or frame.  One has 131,000 miles, the other 215,000 miles but with a new engine that was installed after the owner had a radiator failure that fubarred the original.  Replacement engine, radiator and catalytic converter, have 27,000 on them.  Any thoughts on   a) 2000 vs 2009, and  b) the two 2000s I've described? 

Larry 

Curt

Tacoma is a pretty nice little truck but it won't win any awards for fuel economy.  I bought a new one in 09, drove it for about three years before trading it.  It averaged about 16 mpg with the double cab/6' bed/4x4.  I could have done at least that well with a new F-150 or Silverado similarly equipped and would have had a lot more room for things.  If you want a small truck great, but don't do it for the fuel economy.

bobman

the 2000 with the 2.4 lt engine is bulletproof that’s the best engine toyota ever built and it’s still used all over the world 

my 2000 has 400 thousand miles on it and still runs perfect 

the radiator necks are plastic and fail it’s less than a 100 dollar fix if you do it yourself 

my truck has had one radiator and one starter other than that just normal brakes tires etc

mine is a two wheel drive and get about 24 mpg all around and still doesn’t use oil

best vehicle I’ve ever owned, not real comfortable for a big guy like me but it’s darn sure a good reliable truck

Ive been considering looking for a clean rust free 1st gen extended cab 4x4 to drag behind my motorhome on. trailer

25/06

My 2014 F150 actually gets better mileage than my old 2000 ford ranger.

Both were similarly equipped in the fact they had 4X4, biggest motor available, low gears, Ranger was extended cab f150 is a 4 door.

The newer full sized short box regular cab 2wd trucks in our fleet average well over 20mpg.

I also had a 1997 4cylinder short box 2wd ranger with a 5 speed manual it ran between 19-24 MPG

I kind of miss the little pickups. They were still popular when the companies were forced to quit making them. If they had all the new technology available now I wonder

how good the mileage would be???

The fleet CAFE standards did in the little pickup. The outside dimension put them into the category of compact vehicles. When the Fleet CAFE mileage standard was raised

the simplest way to increase the fleet mileage was to get rid of the little pickups. That is why the new Colorado and Tacoma's are so long. The new dimension allow them to be in the Standard size category for Fleet Mileage. Ford is just now supposed to get back into the game but I am sure whatever they make will be larger than before.

NECarson
7 hours ago, Curt said:

Tacoma is a pretty nice little truck but it won't win any awards for fuel economy.  I bought a new one in 09, drove it for about three years before trading it.  It averaged about 16 mpg with the double cab/6' bed/4x4.  I could have done at least that well with a new F-150 or Silverado similarly equipped and would have had a lot more room for things.  If you want a small truck great, but don't do it for the fuel economy.

I average just over 13 in a "comparable" GMC 1500...

NECarson
5 hours ago, bobman said:

the 2000 with the 2.4 lt engine is bulletproof that’s the best engine toyota ever built and it’s still used all over the world 

my 2000 has 400 thousand miles on it and still runs perfect 

the radiator necks are plastic and fail it’s less than a 100 dollar fix if you do it yourself 

my truck has had one radiator and one starter other than that just normal brakes tires etc

mine is a two wheel drive and get about 24 mpg all around and still doesn’t use oil

best vehicle I’ve ever owned, not real comfortable for a big guy like me but it’s darn sure a good reliable truck

Ive been considering looking for a clean rust free 1st gen extended cab 4x4 to drag behind my motorhome on. trailer

I'd argue 2nd best... But more powerful than the old 22r.

They are dead reliable trucks for sure. 

E.Young

To wit, my Tacoma (a fully-loaded 2nd gen) gets within 1-2mpg at best of my no-longer-with-us 2003 5.4L F150. 

But it sure is easier to drive and park in the city. 

Brad Eden

I had a Tacoma before they were even named Tacoma. I think it was a '94. Black, 6 cyl with the extra half cab. Loved that truck. Never even gave the gas mileage a thought. It brought me and my dogs in and out of places a human had not oughta go. Finally traded it for a new 2000 Tundra, again, I don't drive far nor did I commute far so don't remember handwringing over the gas mileage. Good truck, traded that one in for another slightly used 2006 Tundra that I still own and drive. I've tried to warm up to the Tacoma again, and have driven several late Model trade in leased Tacomas for a possible trade with my Tundra that is getting on 200k. Nice, tight reliable rigs, but not nearly the truck of my 2006 Tundra. They actually feel tinny in comparison. And the Tacoma is now almost the same size as my first generation Tundra; 2006 was the last year of original size Tundra before they beefed them way up. Regardless, although I'll never buy new ever again, a low mileage lease trade-in Tacoma is most likely my next truck, regardless of the gas mileage.

tut

If one can find a first Generation Tundra they are just about bullet proof and are tight as a tick as they say.  My landowner friend has one with manual transmission, bare bones with rubber flooring that is the ultimate work truck.  Think it has an am/fm radio and roll down windows.  6 cylinder and gets about 20 MPG.  They are Tacoma sized for sure. 

Brad Eden

Member Lars may still have a true first gen Tundra. They originally called them T-100's, but I think Ford wasn't happy with the name so Toyota was forced to change the name to Tundra. Those were I'm guessing a year or two in the late 90's. 

E.Young

That's right - the T100s are almost identical in size my 2nd gen tacoma, BUT the T100 has a MUCH better back seat set up in the access cab configuration.

Wet Dog
21 hours ago, Curt said:

+1  Totally agree if parking in the city is an important but gas mileage is comparable on my 2012 Sierra and my son's 2014 Tacoma.

L Kenney

I live in th urban Bay Area on a hilly street that's narrow as hell and I park on the street so my wife can have the garage.  Apart from road trips to fish and hunt, the majority of my driving is around town where traffic is busy and parking is lousy.  A full sized pickup makes no sense. And 3rd gen Tacomas might as well be large trucks. I'm aware that city mileage in any of these rigs is going to be unimpressive.  I could never get my last small truck, a 98 Ranger v6 4wd, to best the 19 mpg on the window sticker.  That noted, my son in law gets 24-25 mpg on the highway with a 2005 2wd Taco.  An I'm still curious as to opinions about whether a clean 2000 with a new engine 28k miles ago is a better or worse option than one with 131k miles.

bobman

“new engine” can mean a lot of things truthfully I don’t think we could give you a fact based answer

L Kenney

Thanks Bobman. I realize now I was asking for something that couldn't be answered sensibly.  Both trucks sold before I got to them so I'm back to square one.  I'm not going to hurry on this......