L Kenney

Small trucks

Chukarman

For myself, I would opt for an older Tacoma with the4 cylinder (R22) or the excellent V6. Those are the same trucks that most Toyota fans want - even 20 years later. My dad had one and it must have gone half a million miles.

mccuha

I know the Tacoma’s are big on this site and are like the energizer bunny they keep on going and going and going.  And tend to hold there value. I saw or heard somewhere that ford was talking about bringing the ranger back. I never had one but know they had fans and were a very dependable truck.  My brother had one with a v4  and got really good mileage. Also was dependable 

67diesel
3 hours ago, mccuha said:

I know the Tacoma’s are big on this site and are like the energizer bunny they keep on going and going and going.  And tend to hold there value. I saw or heard somewhere that ford was talking about bringing the ranger back. I never had one but know they had fans and were a very dependable truck.  My brother had one with a v4  and got really good mileage. Also was dependable 

It’s gonna be larger than the previous Ranger, which ended production in 2011 model year, I believe.  Totally different truck than the earlier version.  

terrym

I would think the new Ranger will be almost identical in size and features as the new Canyon/Colorado. Again the size or lack of will be the draw as mileage is not that different than a F/S truck. Must people don't really need a large truck. 

Brad Eden
12 hours ago, mccuha said:

Not entirely my experience. My first ever brand new vehicle was a 1985 give or take a year, 1985 Ford Ranger 4cyl 4x4 single cab. Huge mistake. I didn't know much about trucks and as a starting out commercial artist with a family needed to watch my pennies. I did glance at the small Toyota truck (not named Tacoma back then) but the Ranger was cheaper, so. Completely underpowered. I joked that I had to get out and help push it up hills if there was a stone in the bed. What hit me was, a good friend bought a Toyota small 4x4 4cyl at exactly the same time to use in his carpentry trade. His truck kicked ass over mine, we were young and still crazy and he would 4 wheel his truck up steep trails to a look out spot. My truck couldn't make that climb. It wasn't entirely unreliable, but I do remember being in the shop quite a bit. And I sorta miss those turning hubs and a shift that threw it into 4wd. Maybe they improved in later years and were competitive with the Toyota. I don't know. But that truck was a dog. With that said, although I will never buy new again, I'd take a look at a new Ford Ranger. I like Ford trucks, not as much as Toyota, but they are nice.

bobman

I don’t understand why everyone left the truly compact truck design these so called compact trucks today are really “mid sized” 

Ford should of kept making the Old ranger by the time they quit making it it had powerful little engines that got excellent fuel mileage , and they would of had that market entirely to themselves

Ill never understand auto manufacturers, I remember complaining to a GM engineer a long time ago about why they didn’t offer crew cab 1/2 ton pickups

Lol he told me they would never sell. ????

Probably is the most popular design today for what seemed to me to be obvious reasons 

Brad Eden

Isn't the Nissan Frontier still pretty small? Despite the ridiculous turning radius in that truck,  Nissan makes sturdy rigs 

dogrunner
3 hours ago, bobman said:

I don’t understand why everyone left the truly compact truck design these so called compact trucks today are really “mid sized” 

Ford should of kept making the Old ranger by the time they quit making it it had powerful little engines that got excellent fuel mileage , and they would of had that market entirely to themselves

Ill never understand auto manufacturers, I remember complaining to a GM engineer a long time ago about why they didn’t offer crew cab 1/2 ton pickups

Lol he told me they would never sell. ????

Probably is the most popular design today for what seemed to me to be obvious reasons 

Sales tanked and they didn’t want to keep the plant open.  People always said they wanted a smaller truck but sales didn’t show it. 

AF0BB13B-9FDC-4358-B8DC-39CC823AD80D.jpeg

bobman

that was a result of a artificial economic trend IMO not true market demand

dogrunner

The peak for the Ranger was 99 after that sales steadily dropped.  Full size trucks still sold fairly good till about 06. Either way the sales just weren’t very good for the smaller truck. 

04ACDDAC-A469-4BA2-B4A0-B81BF0388B98.jpeg

87BDED95-E92D-4EB1-B22D-DD402C5B552A.jpeg

dogrunner

I think that guy seems a little late to the party. He says the Ranger and GM small pickup had respectable followings but sales of either don't show that and yes cafe standards were set but consumers didn't quit buying it because of something they were not aware of back then. From 99 to 04 there sales were more than cut in half and continued to plummet.  Once the new one's come out and probably only get a couple miles to the gallon better  unless gas goes up a good amount I'm not sure how good sales will end up. Thats another reason the F150 diesel has been so slow to make it to market. One of the truck guys there told me years ago when everyone one says that they want a small diesel pickup that its still a small niche market. 

NECarson

What people say they want, and what they will pay for are frequently different... 

dogrunner
On 12/21/2017 at 7:36 AM, Brad Eden said:

Isn't the Nissan Frontier still pretty small? Despite the ridiculous turning radius in that truck,  Nissan makes sturdy rigs 

Not sure how small but it’s not a good seller either. 

BA1F1119-E3C0-49D0-9F97-5D4507B3331A.jpeg

67diesel
On 12/21/2017 at 6:56 PM, dogrunner said:

I think that guy seems a little late to the party. He says the Ranger and GM small pickup had respectable followings but sales of either don't show that and yes cafe standards were set but consumers didn't quit buying it because of something they were not aware of back then. From 99 to 04 there sales were more than cut in half and continued to plummet.  Once the new one's come out and probably only get a couple miles to the gallon better  unless gas goes up a good amount I'm not sure how good sales will end up. Thats another reason the F150 diesel has been so slow to make it to market. One of the truck guys there told me years ago when everyone one says that they want a small diesel pickup that its still a small niche market. 

Two quibbles with your post.  Small truck drivers often get stripped down versions, which are minimally profitable whereas F150s print money.  Where do you think OEMs will go?

with the F150 diesel, or any diesel, there is a premium the buyer pays for the sturdiness of that dizzel engine.  The Ford diesel will get 10mpg better than my 5.0L, easily.  I am very familiar with the engine and I’d love to get one, but not in the budget right now.  It has certain advantages over the Dodge 1/2 ton diesel that I cannot get into at this point.