FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
charlo slim

CWD in MT mule deer

406dn

Yet more tough news. A mule deer buck with CWD was killed tight to the Canadian border. This case is several hundred miles from the other cases.:(

dogrunner

More here too. 😩

6CE06389-FE96-4FE1-B6F6-3F0B5EAEDA3D.jpeg

55D3BD6C-E29C-4097-BCE9-B19E1E49C04A.jpeg

dogrunner

Looks like it’s been in Wyoming for over 30 years. 

BAA7BA5B-1521-4D9E-8D44-53B768830E5B.jpeg

7D3D8500-BE8E-4C4E-A52E-A4B66A400D44.jpeg

4ACC63E6-7B2E-4B20-AE1C-64FE0B091EE4.jpeg

11D473AA-1E42-473F-945C-5224FC0676B3.jpeg

dogrunner

Incase any of you guys are interested. 

6C0CA0A1-7264-46B2-9B1F-73FC9BFCD975.jpeg

Big Al

Wyoming still has a winter feeding program for elk.  This congregates the animals so disease transmission within the herd is a higher possibility.  Montana's conservation people are talking to Wyoming about stopping this program.

Speedgoat44

Yes, as CWD creeps into that part of the state the winter feeding program probably ought to go away.   The highest densities of CWD in Wyoming are in the Southeastern and South Central parts of the state, as it's been there longer.  

shoot-straight
On 12/22/2017 at 11:04 AM, Big Al said:

Wyoming still has a winter feeding program for elk.  This congregates the animals so disease transmission within the herd is a higher possibility.  Montana's conservation people are talking to Wyoming about stopping this program.

Gotta get out there for an elk hunt while I can. If they stop feeding them, tags are gonna get scarcer pretty quick no? 

Speedgoat44

I don't think tag availability will be an issue in the short term in the places where the feed grounds are - mainly the western part of the state. A lot of those areas are general anyway.  But, absolutely do try to make it happen - it's a great experience and well worth the $$$ in my book.  Easy for me to say as a resident of a state with elk, but still, if you've never done it, it's pretty special.

dogrunner

Another state with CWD. 

7F9E5BE9-5137-446D-9112-50D7B9BF8B7E.jpeg

TonyS

That is disheartening.

Big Al

Maybe there will be a population crash and the survivors will start a strain of genetics that are immune to CWD?

Birdcountry70
1 minute ago, Big Al said:

Maybe there will be a population crash and the survivors will start a strain of genetics that are immune to CWD?

The winter we are having up here in Northern MT may be giving us a population crash before disease gets the chance I'm afraid. I'm hoping it breaks soon but that's not in the forecast. 

Big Al

From what I hear it's been pretty bad in central MT where my property is.  I'm really concerned for the birds.

Birdcountry70

Yep,  I fear for the birds too.  After the huge winter kill of 2010-11 I can't stop thinking about all the wildlife starving and dying again this year, it's very depressing for me.  I remember going out on some state land to shoot rifles one day that spring and seeing the white patches laying in the grass all over the fields,  they were dead pronghorns. 

SODAKer

I hunted Saskatchewan and South Dakota annually prior to 2010-11 and afterward for upland birds and while doing so saw my share of other wildlife.

Unless someone knew how good it was before that winter, it was just unbelievable the devastation that Winter took on wildlife populations and for the following years afterwards. Now to throw CWD into the mix, man on man.