• Announcements

• Brad Eden

TO THOSE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UJ   01/06/2018

To the Guests who have decided to register for Membership. PLEASE read Terms of Service, not just checking it off. This is covered there: Add more info than just "hunting" or "Upland hunting" or "birds" or "outdoors" or similar nebulous terms in the required INTERESTS field. Despite this Boards strong spam filtering function, some Spam registrations do sneak through. I need an inkling that you are a human being not a Spam Bot tagging onto key words. Also please do not use a business name as your User Name. Thank you.
Sign in to follow this  
GrousinFF

Tacoma w/ topper, 3-4 dogs?

GrousinFF

Just picked up a 2013 Toyota Tacoma DC with a bed cap/topper. I know most carry 2 dogs in kennels with ease, but was wondering if anyone has ideas/pictures/etc.. on ways to haul 3-4 dogs SECURED. Any help or ideas would be appreciated!

River19

How large a dog?  I think your best bet might be a custom box........ The Tacos are skinny frames, not very wide which is great for 4 wheeling not so awesome for storage.

Obviously 2 dogs in the back seat would certainly work :-)

GrousinFF

35-55 pounds... Setter and a shorthair mix. My two are no problem, but I very often hunt with others who have 1-2 dogs that tag along as well. I was trying to utilize the topper, but the more I look, I'm beginning to think that a custom box may be the only way to achieve it. Guess I'd better start saving $$$$....

River19
27 minutes ago, GrousinFF said:

35-55 pounds... Setter and a shorthair mix. My two are no problem, but I very often hunt with others who have 1-2 dogs that tag along as well. I was trying to utilize the topper, but the more I look, I'm beginning to think that a custom box may be the only way to achieve it. Guess I'd better start saving $$$$....

If you are handy......you could probably think about one of the kits from Lion Country

http://www.lcsupply.com/DIY-Series-Dog-Box-38-in-x-48-in-x-25-in/productinfo/55048W/

25" high I believe it said, not sure what you topper height is but maybe 2 of these built and stacked on top of each other.....that way you can run one box for 2 dogs when with your dogs only and add the second set when others are with you.....

sprocket

I would suggest that you plan for your usual 2 and have accommodations for the visitors...If yours usually ride in the back, then keep that and add a box in the back for the guests...

Either way - please post pics of your solution - others here may benefit.

rolawson

Not really sure what you are asking. I have a 1992 Toyota Pickup that I hunt out of. I have a dog box that fits 2 dogs in each side easy. I haul 4 dogs all the time. Any factory made dog box that will fit between the fender wells will hold 4 dogs easy. I have hauled 4 Walker coon hounds many times.

GrousinFF
On 11/12/2017 at 6:42 PM, rolawson said:

Not really sure what you are asking. I have a 1992 Toyota Pickup that I hunt out of. I have a dog box that fits 2 dogs in each side easy. I haul 4 dogs all the time. Any factory made dog box that will fit between the fender wells will hold 4 dogs easy. I have hauled 4 Walker coon hounds many times.

The normal local hunting isn't the problem, as that is what I normally do as well. The problem is when we venture north (say Wisconsin, Michigan, Maine, etc...), 15-20 hours with two per hole isn't acceptable in my book... at least in my book anyway.

NW River Mac
8 hours ago, GrousinFF said:

The normal local hunting isn't the problem, as that is what I normally do as well. The problem is when we venture north (say Wisconsin, Michigan, Maine, etc...), 15-20 hours with two per hole isn't acceptable in my book... at least in my book anyway.

A couple of ten minute pee breaks on a chain and they should be all set.  You're talking two days per year that you would do this, up and back.  I have dogs in my kennel that will spend 23 hours per day in their box curled up and not move.  I have dogs that spend 23.5 hours on the couch and I have to drag them out to go to the bathroom.  

The other thing I would say is, who says that boxes have to be shiny aluminum.  I would build a box out of wood for a trip that happens once a year.  and put it on top of the other box that you already have.  JMO, 

Grifish

Rough Tough kennels are stackable and can be stabilized together.  They have a kit, but, I think you could easily make a custom one for your app.

Biggggybmf

I dont have a topper on my Taco.  However this is how i do 2-4 dogs without much of an issue.  The hardest issue with the Tacoma is the narrow length between the wheels.  makes it harder to find a dog box.  I dont see how the setup i have wouldn't work with a topper.  The yeti probably wouldnt work with a topper.

Two dog set up

xXyceBf.jpg

4 dogs

raPPPjc.jpg

juneboy1

I carry six, I am selling mine after this season! Bird prices, cheap cheap cheap.

FEAA41BD-F4BE-41A2-A152-2B7D674001D6.jpeg

steingre

Here's my setup- large wire crate and large ruff tough- elevated on 3/4 inch plywood- storage underneath for two long plastic bins.

The two crate setup carries a 90# lab and a 75# short hair -no room for two dogs per crate; I can get another crate on the floor of the bed, between the elevated ones and the tailgate.....but it has to fit crossways!!

20171115_130246.jpg

rolawson
22 hours ago, GrousinFF said:

There is plenty of room in a box 38" or deeper box for 2 bird dogs of normal size. My friend has a box that is close to 54" deep and close to that in width and you can put 2 dogs in each side and they will be lost in the thing. We have hauled 3 dogs in each side with no problems.

bmeador

I have a Tundra, which I know is bigger. But this is how I solved my problem of hauling 5+ dogs around the country.  2 hole will hold 4 average GSPs and/or EPs when it isn't too hot. Top box is 46 × 46 which would fit on a platform that rests on your fender wells.

20170922_151749.jpg

Coveyrise64

Crate_14_615_400_80_s_c1.jpg.26d48741adde97f545b4a64f52549290.jpg

A setup like this works great if you have side entry doors on your topper.