• Announcements

• Brad Eden

WELCOME NEW UJ MEMBERS   06/25/2017

It seems the word is out and UJ is enjoying a steady stream of newly Registered Members. Welcome to all of you, and we are all looking forward to your positive participation. I strongly suggest you review the Board Guidelines that have been in place since 2002. The most significant thing being that UJ is a NO POLITICS BOARD. LInk:  UJ BOARD GUIDELINES   Also UJ stays afloat mainly through Member Donations. Once a Donation is made you are placed in the Contributing Member Group with extra Priviliges. I am getting very few new Donations so hopefully this will spur that on a bit. Link:  New Members/Donations/Priviliges
topdog1961

Cold dog

topdog1961

My dogs have shelter in our attached garage. It's unheated but stays above freezing. Nonetheless my GSP shivers in the winter.  I've tried a couple different quilted vests off amazon but haven't been impressed with the fit or durability. Is there a winter vest or sweater you would recommend? It doesn't need to be weatherproof, he stays inside when it's wet.  If you are familiar with one you can recommend, what size for a very large GSP, about 75 pounds. 

image.jpeg

Wet Dog

Look into the neoprene vests that waterfowl dogs wear.  I have 5mm thick for my lab when we duck hunt over water when its really cold.  They make 3mm too and some will zip/velcro and some have only have one or the other.  A zipper will stay on better but velcro is easier to put on WHEN THE SUMBITCH WON'T HOLD STILL!  Neoprene is easy to cut to make fit too.

That being said, I never had a neoprene vest on a dog while field hunting.  You may find that they're too warm and will pick up a lot of burs.

tut

Just put a heatlamp in the garage pointed at one corner of his blanket/pad.  If he gets cold he will move under the lamp.  If he gets hot he will move to the other side.   My parents did this for years with all their dogs.  All lived in a unheated garage.   PS. That is a huge GSP.  :)

topdog1961
3 hours ago, tut said:

Just put a heatlamp in the garage pointed at one corner of his blanket/pad.  If he gets cold he will move under the lamp.  If he gets hot he will move to the other side.   My parents did this for years with all their dogs.  All lived in a unheated garage.   PS. That is a huge GSP.  :)

I'm a little wary of heat lamps. A family in our small town had one for their dogs on the front porch. They had a house fire, fortunately while they are out. But they lost their dogs and the house was irreparable. The fire department said it started on the porch and blamed it on the heat lamp. 

bobman
3 hours ago, tut said:

this or build him a decent insulated dog house

just being in a garage is insufficient and way too much area, they need an enclosed den small enough their body heat can warm it up

a good design in a garage is make a couple dens under a workbench so it can be useful in the garage

tut
46 minutes ago, topdog1961 said:

I'm a little wary of heat lamps. A family in our small town had one for their dogs on the front porch. They had a house fire, fortunately while they are out. But they lost their dogs and the house was irreparable. The fire department said it started on the porch and blamed it on the heat lamp. 

Interesting.  We have 3 in our garage that we use for our cats as well.  The idea is just to barely feel the heat with your hand when your hand is placed on the dog/cat bed.  Then when a animal lays on the bed they are closer to the heat.  Ours are 750 Watt bulbs.  I'm not talking McDonalds French fry warmer size. 

My moms dog bed is placed on the concrete floor under the heat lamp.  Lamp is probably 3 feet away from the dog bed.   

Plan B would indeed be a dog cage/kennel with a good pad, wrapped in blanket on top/bottom and sides with the door open and their body heat will keep it warm.

topdog1961
25 minutes ago, UplandHntr said:

What about a heated mat like they use for new born piglets etc?

https://osbornelivestockequipment.com/products/stanfield-heat-pads/heat-pads/

or just bring him in the house

if you saw him you would laugh at the suggestion to bring him in the house. He is unbelievably hyper. He would go through the house like a tornado. He's hard to live with outside, much less inside. Fortunately for him he's good to hunt behind. 

I put a small ceramic electric heater in the garage in really cold weather. He's done well with a quilted vest but they don't seem to fit well and he seems to be able to wear them out and tear them off in 3-4 weeks. He went through several last winter. If neoprene fits better and is more durable it may be the answer. 

Remo
1 hour ago, UplandHntr said:

What about a heated mat like they use for new born piglets etc?

https://osbornelivestockequipment.com/products/stanfield-heat-pads/heat-pads/

or just bring him in the house

I use a pad similar to this in the garage dog house. The house is roughly a plywood 4' cube divided into 2 compartments with doggy doors, insulated with 1" blue board.  The pad keeps the temp about 60F.

garyRI
19 hours ago, bobman said:

This is what I've done. Had an American Water Spaniel that spent its days inside but prefered to sleep outside. The doghouse I made had a flap on the opening plus a "vestibule/entry" design that also had a flap so she was "double" covered for drafts.

Jazz4Brazo

A proper dog box or a kennel with an insulated cover inside the garage would be your best bet as others have pointed out...smaller space for dog to warm up with body heat...having said that I had a setter that tore up her front legs and chest while hunting (crashed through anything instead of the other dog that went around atuff...lol) and a typical chest protector just didn't help. I got her a orange fleece lined sport vest from www.k9topcoat.com...looked goofy but worked like a charm as it cover well down her legs and also prevened snow balls in her arm pits and stomach while keeping her toasty warm and was surprisingly very durable...who knew...of course they have even goofier whole body lycra suits if your dog prefers xD

Good luck with your search 

J4B

caleb
On 11/10/2017 at 6:06 PM, bobman said:

I have a kennel setup in my attached but unheated garage for my pointer.  The insulated Deer Creek house with a Hound Heater is room temperature even in the middle of the winter.

Jazz4Brazo

^^ This

Tim Frazier

Am I missing something?  A tractor supply barn house ($70 I think) full of straw, out of the wind should work would it not?  I'm a fan of keep it simple and a small space full of straw is pretty warm, even more so when out of the wind.