• Announcements

• Brad Eden

WELCOME NEW UJ MEMBERS   06/25/2017

It seems the word is out and UJ is enjoying a steady stream of newly Registered Members. Welcome to all of you, and we are all looking forward to your positive participation. I strongly suggest you review the Board Guidelines that have been in place since 2002. The most significant thing being that UJ is a NO POLITICS BOARD. LInk:  UJ BOARD GUIDELINES   Also UJ stays afloat mainly through Member Donations. Once a Donation is made you are placed in the Contributing Member Group with extra Priviliges. I am getting very few new Donations so hopefully this will spur that on a bit. Link:  New Members/Donations/Priviliges
blanked

Question for the chukar hunters

blanked

How much time do you spend hiking one way up to the top ridge .   Can you keep it up for multiple day hunts?   Can you keep it up when you get in your 50s or older

TonyS

An old friend put it this way:   "Remember this is NOT an Olympic event".

mccuha
49 minutes ago, blanked said:

How much time do you spend hiking one way up to the top ridge .   Can you keep it up for multiple day hunts?   Can you keep it up when you get in your 50s or older

Never been chukar hunting. “Yet”.  I think that if you condition yourself I say yes  

NVChukarChaser

Here’s is yesterday’s hunt which I would say wasn’t too long. Ended up with 4 birds. 

806B1737-40FC-4E50-A297-6BF7A21FAD32.png

mister grouse

Object of the hunt plan is , if at all possible, to use experience and observation to start at or near the elevations you expect to find birds (or have found them in similar covers recently) and contour at that elevation until you have to adjust to actual findings on the ground for that day.   Its surprising how many times finding the right elevation can lead to multiple coveys generally along that elevation or other geographic feature.   Find a road, or some access that gets you started on target elevation.

Ive only done the bottom to top thing  a couple of times , and that was when i was much younger , better conditioned , and not too chukar smart, as I was literally trying to figure it out by myself.  Very generally, Once you push birds to the top  by going straight up or climbing angling severely up constantly the birds are going to either fly down over you which typically can be a hail mary overhead with a hail mary downhill following, or fly out to parts unknown just before you crest out and you may only hear them and never see them. 

greg jacobs

62 and when I'm by myself I hunt a little slower and more careful. When with one of my boys I huff and puff a lot more.

I try to drive up to them then I end up way down the mountain anyway.

Couple of the places I go it's an hour up so I'm tired before I start.

Coming down a steep hill has its own issues.IMG_20131006_093452.jpg20141219_115806_zpsd3c164e6.jpg

blanked

I guess what I am trying to find out is I was hiking about an hour to get to the top of a set of ridges and not finding any chukar.  Next set of ridges and the highest in elevation was another 1 hour hike up.  So is a 2 hour hike one way on the long side or a very normal hike.  

Motivating myself to hike up up the top 2 hours one way every day for a week went from fun to work.  And I am hiking on the 2 track roads to conserve energy.  Or do I just need to man up to hunt chukar.  

Wyobirds

The first Chukar hunt is for fun and all subsequent hunts are for revenge.

Randy S

Being that your from Texas and I'm from Iowa I think my perspective might be similar to what you can expect. First of all, I'm not a chukar hunter, just a guy from Iowa who's hunted chukar on multi-day trips for the past three years while in my 60's.  I'm not fat but not in the shape I was in 15 years ago.

1) You can hunt too high for chukar. 

2) You can drive a 4-wheel pickup to chukar.

3) In good years, you can drive to a limit of chukar.

3) If you avoid the river canyons, you shouldn't have to climb more than 500 - 1,000' to birds.  

4) You don't receive a free bird for climbing fast. It's more important to be ready to shoot when you do get into birds, than how fast you got there.

5) Climbing 2 hrs. a day to get into chukar is too much work! I'd move to another ridge that I could drive to chukar level on. 

ThomGordon

I’m fifty. I can do multiple day hunts but it’s not wise. Here’s the problem with multiple days. Chukar hunting requires sure footedness and once fatigued your chances for injury goes way up. This is terrain dependent of course.  Also, and I wish like hell I would of heeded my own advice here as the same is more important when concerned with your dog. Two days of hunting especially Chukar is hell on a dog. Just this morning after hunting hard yesterday I heard a yelp followed by my best bud Creek carrying his back leg towards me. Long story short he fractured his tibia which requires surgery Monday. I know better and feel horrible about it.

Side note; I fractured my femur in a Jeep rollover and after the surgery to plate it back together like they r going to do to Creek the pain was unbearable. I can relate.

So in short my recommendation is do not do a back to back hunt on Chukar.

Flush

It's just location dependant. In some areas it's going to require a long hike just about everytime you hunt there...just a matter of where the habitat and therefore birds will be. In other areas there are roads are access that will allow you to get to the elevation of the birds and if you are "smart" about it you don't have to gain and lose a ton of elevation. 

Almost always being in good physical shape will be an advantage in your ability to chase chukar for a given area, but there are spots that don't require 1+ hikes just to get into birds. Hunting pressure plays a big role too. In heavily hunted area ls the birds are more likely to be in the real steep nasty stuff. If you can find areas where they aren't hunted much, they may be more accessible. Chukar hunting is almost never physically easy, but there is a huge variation in the terrain they live in, at least that's what I've noticed in the 7 or so western States I've hunted them in.

Chukar hunting isnt for out of shape overweight people...which is part of why I like it. It's not an age thing. There are plenty of guys well over 50 in better shape than guys in their 20s.

NVChukarChaser

Chukar rule #1 the best bird is on top. The guys in there 50s hand out lessons to 20 something cross fit champions all the time. I have received many from the guys with a little grey. You will enjoy it a lot more if you are in shape. Come cold turkey out of summer beer drinking to a 1500 ft vertical cliff scale is a sure fire pity party. Multi day hunts are possible but day two is gonna hurt. Save the easy spot or kiddy hill for day two. Cruise all day and have a short vertical sprint in the tank. 

Chesepeakes_Man

How many miles are your hounds going in a day ?

Thom, I hope Creek is going to be ok, please keep us posted. 

Dale 

Gyrfolco

I'm 58 and often hunt chukar with a friend who's 13 years my younger. I do fine. 2 hours to the top is long, but manageable. Dogs are pretty sore the day after a long march, so hope you have more than one dog. For me, two, and sometimes three days a week is plenty chasing chukars. And I can't/won't use the same dog for all three trips in one week.

Gyrfolco

Added one video twice and couldn't figure out how to delete it.