• Announcements

• Brad Eden

TO THOSE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UJ   01/06/2018

To the Guests who have decided to register for Membership. PLEASE read Terms of Service, not just checking it off. This is covered there: Add more info than just "hunting" or "Upland hunting" or "birds" or "outdoors" or similar nebulous terms in the required INTERESTS field. Despite this Boards strong spam filtering function, some Spam registrations do sneak through. I need an inkling that you are a human being not a Spam Bot tagging onto key words. Also please do not use a business name as your User Name. Thank you.
hunter177

30" Barrels For Upland Hunting

salmontogue
10 minutes ago, oak stob said:

30” too long?

Depends...I would be more concerned witht the stock particulars than the barrel particulars in the case you mentioned, as a start.

A typical double barrel set weighs an AVERAGE of three ounces per two inches at the muzzle.

Perk

oak stob
14 minutes ago, salmontogue said:

A typical double barrel set weighs an AVERAGE of three ounces per two inches at the muzzle.

Perk

Ok......???

many Trap stocks of my notice have been possessed of greater bulk than I prefer in a field gun or, even a ruffed grouse gun...not to mention the dimensions.

The stock, for me and based upon what the OP stated, would still concern me more than the length of barrels....may not matter a whit but, I would look there first....personally.

Naturally, the entirety is a package to live with or to move on down the road.

If the OP’s idea of “trap” or even “clays” is different than mine then that enters as well.....not seeing the shotgun in question introduces a bit of fantasy and self-pleasuring as to answers.

salmontogue
2 minutes ago, oak stob said:

Ok......???

many Trap stocks of my notice have been possessed of greater bulk than I prefer in a field gun or, even a ruffed grouse gun...not to mention the dimensions.

The stock, for me and based upon what the OP stated, would still concern me more than the length of barrels....may not matter a whit but, I would look there first....personally.

Naturally, the entirety is a package to live with or to move on down the road.

If the OP’s idea of “trap” or even “clays” is different than mine then that enters as well.....not seeing the shotgun in question introduces a bit of fantasy and self-pleasuring as to answers.

I added the weight per two inches as a factor of clarification.  I have said repeatedly, to the point of being a broken record, that fit and balance are primary regardless of target activity, gauge, load, choke, shot size, manufacturer and weight.

Perk

oak stob
18 minutes ago, salmontogue said:

I added the weight per two inches as a factor of clarification.  I have said repeatedly, to the point of being a broken record, that fit and balance are primary regardless of target activity, gauge, load, choke, shot size, manufacturer and weight.

Perk

To me, stock bulk can be a negative factor in a field gun moreso than in a Trap gun, for example.

The OP used the word “trap”...as I said, if his meaning of the word is different than mine.....bets are off or need reevaluated.

Otherwise, bulk of the OP’s gun in question would interest me....more than barrels.

To me, fit and balance can both be different for target activity, especially for some types of bird hunting.

I have shot skeet targets with my handicap gun years ago but...I would in no way say that either fit or balance were the same as in a gun I would more normally use at skeet.

I find that the gun itself, unless at some extreme of measure, is not the centerpoint for killing a gamebird, or not.

Too many other points tell that tale, some measurable, some of the mind and some, with a tail....not the shotgun.

”Fit & Balance” are not primary, to me......I reckon tho that it matters....primary to what?

salmontogue

I thought we were discussing guns but it appears that you are discussing shooting that includes guns and other factors including, but not limited to, ability (physiological and mental), experience, training and personal preferences.  The larger component is shooting while one sub-component is the firearm itself.

Perk

oak stob

A gun, without a bird involved, does not interest me overmuch......kinda like a fiddle without a tune.

Years ago, it did.

Just gave my opinion to the OP.....that opinion stands.

kgb
15 hours ago, Jack L said:

Dance with the one that brought you to the dance

That's a good way to put it as well.  

Regarding doubles, following a link from another site on a bird hunting topic, on Page 48 the author wrote this about the need for a repeater's firepower:  "Just about all gamebirds in the Northeast are taken one at a time, and the opportunity for a shot can come and go so quickly that hunters may wonder why they even bother loading more than one shell.  But if you hunt quail or other covey gamebirds, sometimes a gun with more than a double's two shots is welcome."   

I have stood with an emptied two-barrel gun after hitting and/or missing single and covey birds, and once missed a single rooster with all 4 shots in a Remington 11/87.  Never selected a repeater while after grouse or woodcock on account of the extra shells, but have selected a repeater based on what I thought might be an opportunity at quail.  Mostly though, I choose a gun based on wanting to carry it that day. 

https://books.google.com/books?id=Meu3DAAAQBAJ&pg=PA47&lpg=PA47&dq=frank+woolner+shotgun&source=bl&ots=5JUan8uCCb&sig=f9I6dVR6yfNvm19b0ZjV1btrjNA&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj62a6txZzZAhUORa0KHcpgBzM4ChDoAQhXMAw#v=onepage&q=frank woolner shotgun&f=false

Hammergun

I just got a 30” barreled 20 ga. Webley and Scott 702 for the open range. I’m pretty excited about it. It will need a stock bend and refinish and a leather covered pad to fit me and then it will be ready for the Grasslands. I have not seen a 20 ga.  30” barreled W&S. 

5536B896-ABDF-4B2A-9BEA-47A5B41A592C.jpeg

Recoil Rob

I have 2 W&S M700's with 30" barrel but both 12ga.

2ptpb8w.jpg

261nu5g.jpg

BlacknTan

I've been itchin' to try a 30" 20 ga. break action gun, as I like a weight forward bias, and feel it helps me. I like 28 inchers, and I just can't fathom how an extra two inches is going to make much of any difference at all... except between the ears where all our confidence, or lack thereof, exists.

mccuha

I may be the odd ball(which I normally am). I don’t like real long barreled guns.  In side by side and o/u I don’t want anything longer than 28”. I prefer a 26”.  In pumps and autos I I want no more than a 26” barrel.  I have never had a follow through problem and a pretty constant shot.  But the way I see it. To each there on.  If we had the same likes it would be a boring place. 

kgb
39 minutes ago, BlacknTan said:

I've been itchin' to try a 30" 20 ga. break action gun, as I like a weight forward bias, and feel it helps me. I like 28 inchers, and I just can't fathom how an extra two inches is going to make much of any difference at all... except between the ears where all our confidence, or lack thereof, exists.

I don't know if manufacturers take barrel length into consideration when producing the barrels, but if the barrel walls are the same from a given point forward, at least from 26" on, every 2" should add a couple/few ounces right out at the end of the gun where impact on handling would be greatest.  It wouldn't alter the view over the barrels, but I would think adding a quarter pound of weight on the very end of a set of 26" barrels would change the way the gun handled for most people and it would be easy to check out in a non-shooting situation.  If you were to handle a 30" 20ga I'd hope it'd be one built with an eye toward having the barrel weight and length not be a detriment to good handling.

I currently have three doubles and they measure 26", 29" and 30", but the stocks and other elements are so different there's no real way to compare them.  My O/U is an older Beretta Trap gun with 29" barrels and they seem quite thin to me.  Lighter than the other O/U Trap gun I once owned, and it having been a 32" bbl Remington 3200 there are a lot more differences in the two guns than 3" of barrel.

Hammergun
1 hour ago, Recoil Rob said:

2ptpb8w.jpg

261nu5g.jpg

Yes I meant to say a 20 ga. with 30” barrels. I have seen several 12’s with 30” barrels. Thanks Jeff

Hammergun
1 hour ago, mccuha said:

I may be the odd ball(which I normally am). I don’t like real long barreled guns.  In side by side and o/u I don’t want anything longer than 28”. I prefer a 26”.  In pumps and autos I I want no more than a 26” barrel.  I have never had a follow through problem and a pretty constant shot.  But the way I see it. To each there on.  If we had the same likes it would be a boring place. 

That’s great and why they make so many different styles and barrel lengths so everyone can get what they want. We can all be happy. 

GB Jack
5 hours ago, Recoil Rob said:

2ptpb8w.jpg

261nu5g.jpg

Omg, I hate and love you