• Announcements

• Brad Eden

WELCOME NEW UJ MEMBERS   06/25/2017

It seems the word is out and UJ is enjoying a steady stream of newly Registered Members. Welcome to all of you, and we are all looking forward to your positive participation. I strongly suggest you review the Board Guidelines that have been in place since 2002. The most significant thing being that UJ is a NO POLITICS BOARD. LInk:  UJ BOARD GUIDELINES   Also UJ stays afloat mainly through Member Donations. Once a Donation is made you are placed in the Contributing Member Group with extra Priviliges. I am getting very few new Donations so hopefully this will spur that on a bit. Link:  New Members/Donations/Priviliges
Sign in to follow this  
Kansas Big Dog

Kansas Opener

Kansas Big Dog

I had not hunted the KS opening weekend out in W KS since the drought but I got a wild hair and got up early Saturday about 2 am and drove 4 hours to hunt with the orange masses. Had 2 different groups come up behind me. But, no one is finding many roosters. I did not even take a shot at a rooster. Worst I have ever seen where I hunt. Worse than the drought. What made the day was the quail which were about average. We found 5 coveys and took a bird from each covey. Both my 6 month old pups got shot over yesterday and are starting to figure it out. I'm going to go mainly for quail and work the pups. My year and a half old female Rip did well pointing and holding to my flushing 3 coveys. I hunted Jack on pheasant most of the morning, but he still found 2 coveys. 

Jack on a covey. 

20171111_135547.thumb.jpg.16296ea7f12a3d46bb37bfc2a43b3997.jpg

Bumper picture. 

20171111_161226.jpg

fourtrax57

Good job.

Tough year most places for bird hunting. Am pretty much shut down for the year "UP NORTH" unless the weather loosens it's Winter time grip for awhile.

Still in South Dakota finishing out the 10 day license thing. Finding some Phez here & there but spotty.

Remo

Mike, way to go on the quail, at least the dogs were happy I bet. I  have yet to see a hun anywhere around here but there is a scattering of pheasants. My best spots still have corn up and it wouldn't surprise me if they leave it until spring. But a guy has to go for the dogs.

Harry

For some reason, I have always liked bumper pics. Not sure why, but maybe because we start and end the hunt there. 

Don't get much Quail action around here, but the Wild variety in a good sized covey should bring one to attention.

Jack L

Sorry to hear pheasants are hard to find there too.  Nice you were able to get into some coveys.

Don Steese
4 hours ago, Remo said:

Mike, way to go on the quail, at least the dogs were happy I bet. I  have yet to see a hun anywhere around here but there is a scattering of pheasants. My best spots still have corn up and it wouldn't surprise me if they leave it until spring. But a guy has to go for the dogs.

Huns seemed to me to be the hardest hit out on the prairies this year. I saw darned few. Would not shoot one.

Quailbum

This does not bode well for my upcoming week in Kansas.  But if colorado's opener is any indication of what is to come, it's going to be a loooong fall. Saturday 6 1/2 miles in good cover that has held birds in the past -1 covey. 

scottspec2

Watson and I have our sights set on Kansas when we turn south, hopefully we can find some roosters! Fun to hear you found some quail, that will be a fun change for us.

Kansas Big Dog

My second day was worse than the first. We did get into 3 coveys of quail, but did not get up one pheasant hen or rooster. Never took a shot.  The dogs did not handle the quail well, so no shooting. I think the dogs are getting frustrated not finding birds.

Now, I need to say that there may be reasons I am not finding pheasants.  One, there are a lot of crop still in the field, maybe 50% still in fields where I am hunting. Also, my dog power is the lowest I have had since I started hunting pheasants here. 

The first 2 days, I have been hunting ground I have not hunted previously. Today, I am going to hunt on ground I have killed birds on previously. 

Duckn66

I have not heard of anyone doing very well on opening weekend yet.  I saw a grand total of 7 phez on Saturday morning.  I wasn't in prime phez territory though.  But the spot I always hunt opening morning has always had at least 50-75 birds in the 120 acre patch.  

Its not going to be a good year overall I'm afraid.

bobman

I will be out there by tomorrow afternoon if you see a big hi-top white and red early 90s chevy camper van with Georgia plates stop and say hello

I'll have three pups that have never seen a game bird and aren't gun broke yet either  thanks to my open heart surgery so I will be the weird guy probably not carrying a gun.

Just need to get them on birds hens roosters I don't care

Duckn66

Good luck Bobman!  Either way it beats being at home!

PartridgeCartridge

Thanks, now I'm all hungry and stuff for quail. Love to eat those birds.

I'd happily pay you to ship me 6 frozen ones.

mschaefer

Pheasant numbers must be down throughout the midwest.  Put the dog down for a 2 hour stroll with the boys on Saturday and got one hen point and a wild flush rooster.  In prior years would have seen ten times that!

Jakeismydog2

Our opening weekend hunt was good but not great. We moved at least 1 bird in every field we went in except 1. So that was good, it was just that we rarely moved more than a couple in each field. I think until all the crops get harvested its going to be very challenging hunting. After they are all cut I think its still going to be tough.