• Announcements

• Brad Eden

WELCOME NEW UJ MEMBERS   06/25/2017

It seems the word is out and UJ is enjoying a steady stream of newly Registered Members. Welcome to all of you, and we are all looking forward to your positive participation. I strongly suggest you review the Board Guidelines that have been in place since 2002. The most significant thing being that UJ is a NO POLITICS BOARD. LInk:  UJ BOARD GUIDELINES   Also UJ stays afloat mainly through Member Donations. Once a Donation is made you are placed in the Contributing Member Group with extra Priviliges. I am getting very few new Donations so hopefully this will spur that on a bit. Link:  New Members/Donations/Priviliges
Sign in to follow this  
Kansas Big Dog

Kansas Opener

KDGJ

We saw a few birds in the north central part of the state.  On Saturday, we spent more time driving than hunting as we tried to get out of the wet, misty weather.  Sunday was pretty good for quail.  Saw about 50 pheasant in the brushy area of a partially cut milo field and finally some sun at the end of the day.  My Gordon had some great points and also some bumps.  We saw more quail than last year.  The pheasant still are spotty.

Ken

robp
23 hours ago, PartridgeCartridge said:

Thanks, now I'm all hungry and stuff for quail. Love to eat those birds.

I'd happily pay you to ship me 6 frozen ones.

100% agree there is a recipe in the joy of cooking for honey mustard grilled quail its fantastic I have made it with game farm birds but I'm sure it pales in comparison to the real deal wild bird

I was hunting in Iowa last weekend and flushed a covey of quail on to property I did not have permission for, it took all my will power not to go after them that is the that was the first covey I have ever seen in my life I'm still at half mast

Remo
11 hours ago, bobman said:

I will be out there by tomorrow afternoon if you see a big hi-top white and red early 90s chevy camper van with Georgia plates stop and say hello

I'll have three pups that have never seen a game bird and aren't gun broke yet either  thanks to my open heart surgery so I will be the weird guy probably not carrying a gun.

Just need to get them on birds hens roosters I don't care

Good luck Bob, 'bout time you got back in the saddle.

Kansas Big Dog
22 hours ago, PartridgeCartridge said:

I'd happily pay you to ship me 6 frozen ones.

You could not afford them, especially if you want them plucked. :P

john mcg
4 minutes ago, Kansas Big Dog said:

Oh this is gonna be fun.

PartridgeCartridge
41 minutes ago, Kansas Big Dog said:

Well then, ship me some skinned ones.

Kansas Big Dog

This year I have gone back to hunting out of my vehicle and sleeping in it remotely close to where I want to hunt the next morning. This is my sleep over spot on my last night. 

5a0af5e240a7c_Graham8.thumb.JPG.b252a103bd31849cc21cbcf398f311fb.JPG

Even camping remotely, and being parked adjacent to the WIHA I intended to hunt did not stop any of the gang bangers. This is the scene that happened every morning.

Graham.thumb.JPG.20e08361f8e3d30877ba8a30055b3b43.JPG

The gang bangers would drive by and see me hanging out at a place they want to push. One of the trucks would come back and tell me they were going to hunt anyway.  I told these guys to go ahead and I left and tried to find a more secluded WIHA. So, I drove to a cover I found last year that is very marginal for pheasant, but had three nice coveys of quail last year. When I arrived there, there were already 2 trucks with dog toppers there hunting. So, I drove about a mile north where it is complete native pasture that no respectable gang banger would hunt.

5a0af9c5ac984_Graham7.thumb.JPG.f4f56a99ad1b61c943e031cd11440b97.JPG

In my mind, these are the wildest of the quail in Kansas surviving on native seeds, forbes and greens. The bad thing is, they are fewer and further between coveys. But we had a great time and I just let Jack and Rip roll. Rip is my year old EB that is starting to be my top dog. Jack is my only other bird dog now and he is a dog of a life time, but he is 8 going on 9 and has been hunted very hard his whole life and is starting to slow down.

As we were working our way into this native prairie, we could hear the gang bangers slaying the quail to our south with many volleys of 7 to 12 shots of pheasant loads as they flushed the coveys. I think altogether, I heard 30 plus shots. So, I decided that I would not kill any quail here and leave for seed. Here is some pictures of Rip and Jack on those wildest of KS Bobs.

5a0afded4c0df_Graham2.thumb.JPG.6549f341ff16a6578c5045ede304b8af.JPG

5a0aff336a6e7_Graham5.thumb.JPG.08a69f0bba0f21ffa53d280ee841aa13.JPG

5a0aff9c1f577_Graham6.thumb.JPG.de85c2a6f7d6942f86e451da475cc1e6.JPG

5a0b015e6c272_Graham10.thumb.JPG.4ccd76343ae6d125437909a5b8c2a513.JPG

5a0b0193cd1aa_Graham1.thumb.JPG.6e4372cdbbe0997dcf8782c8e89e3a91.JPG

I wish that the KDWPT would keep the quail season closed the first week of pheasant season like they do for prairie chickens, which I did see a few flying.

Kansas Big Dog
49 minutes ago, PartridgeCartridge said:

Well then, ship me some skinned ones.

You still can't afford skinned ones either.

PartridgeCartridge
3 minutes ago, Kansas Big Dog said:

You still can't afford skinned ones either.

I guess not. Too bad the spirit of UJ eludes you. That, my friend, you can never put a price on.

tut

KBD, that vehicle is full to overflowing.  Do you sleep in the front seat or under the SUV, or put the dogs in the front seat and crawl in the back?  Inquiring minds want to know.  :)

Kansas Big Dog
23 minutes ago, tut said:

KBD, that vehicle is full to overflowing.  Do you sleep in the front seat or under the SUV, or put the dogs in the front seat and crawl in the back?  Inquiring minds want to know.  :)

I have taken the front passenger seat and rear seats out so it is one big flat area. I sleep on the passenger side, you can see my sleeping bag. I had two bird dogs and 2 pups with me and they sleep loose in the vehicle. I do allow my 6 month female Niki to sleep with me to keep me warm. She is a great snuggler. I leave the gear out side and just repack in the morning. I can leave the crates in and have them sleep in the crates, but I think we are all more comfortable sleeping loose. It is a lot of fun. Fun is good.

tut
55 minutes ago, Kansas Big Dog said:

I have taken the front passenger seat and rear seats out so it is one big flat area. I sleep on the passenger side, you can see my sleeping bag. I had two bird dogs and 2 pups with me and they sleep loose in the vehicle. I do allow my 6 month female Niki to sleep with me to keep me warm. She is a great snuggler. I leave the gear out side and just repack in the morning. I can leave the crates in and have them sleep in the crates, but I think we are all more comfortable sleeping loose. It is a lot of fun. Fun is good.

You Kansas folks are tough.  I think of roughing it when the dogs and I stay at a Motel 6.  :)

Flush

I totally agree on the delaying of the quail opener in KS.

The large block and drive group pheasant hunting parties are extremely common in KS on opening weekend. It makes me cringe when I see them on a parcel I know holds quail. 

s.davis

Similar report from Northwest on Saturday, and there wasn’t much shooting going on anywhere around us, or really many hunters out and about. We had a party of 4 with 3 hard hunters and one dead weight guy, on private ground, and only found 1 pheasant in a full day of hunting behind 2 flushing labs. Hunted North-central on Sunday and did marginally better. Put up 2 roosters and a big, beautiful covey in about 3 hours of WIHA hunting.

RookieEP

Your a better man than I.  I know it is public but that is purely poor manners and sportsmanship to jump in close to someone.  Id have to bite my tongue or refrain from going to their level.  The wind may blow my car doors open and close a couple of times...