• Announcements

• Brad Eden

WELCOME NEW UJ MEMBERS   06/25/2017

It seems the word is out and UJ is enjoying a steady stream of newly Registered Members. Welcome to all of you, and we are all looking forward to your positive participation. I strongly suggest you review the Board Guidelines that have been in place since 2002. The most significant thing being that UJ is a NO POLITICS BOARD. LInk:  UJ BOARD GUIDELINES   Also UJ stays afloat mainly through Member Donations. Once a Donation is made you are placed in the Contributing Member Group with extra Priviliges. I am getting very few new Donations so hopefully this will spur that on a bit. Link:  New Members/Donations/Priviliges
Sign in to follow this  
Kansas Big Dog

Kansas Opener

Randy S
4 hours ago, Kansas Big Dog said:

As we were working our way into this native prairie, we could hear the gang bangers slaying the quail to our south with many volleys of 7 to 12 shots of pheasant loads as they flushed the coveys. I think altogether, I heard 30 plus shots. So, I decided that I would not kill any quail here and leave for seed. Here is some pictures of Rip and Jack on those wildest of KS Bobs.

I wouldn't worry too much about those guys killing a bunch of quail unless they were southern boys. Most of the midwestern guys I've hunted with were hard on shells when a covey flushed but not so hard on the birds. 

Once in Nebraska I was hunting with some locals when they surrounded a plum thicket with a decent covey. I stayed out of it and watched. Didn't want any part in the slaughter. They each had a rooster or two so they could shoot some, but when the smoke cleared 12 shots were fired and not one quail fell. 

Kansas Big Dog
10 hours ago, Flush said:

I totally agree on the delaying of the quail opener in KS.

The large block and drive group pheasant hunting parties are extremely common in KS on opening weekend. It makes me cringe when I see them on a parcel I know holds quail. 

With the pheasants down so low, they are many banging quail. One hunter I talked to said they had 4 hunters, 6 dogs and killed 4 roosters and 30 quail.

Don Steese
27 minutes ago, Kansas Big Dog said:

With the pheasants down so low, they are many banging quail. One hunter I talked to said they had 4 hunters, 6 dogs and killed 4 roosters and 30 quail.

That breaks my heart. I really love the little buggers!!

s.davis
19 hours ago, Randy S said:

I wouldn't worry too much about those guys killing a bunch of quail unless they were southern boys.

Most southern boys are too lazy to walk wild quail cover here, and too soft to handle the weather. 

JMc

Hunted SW Kansas first three days of season, took home 9 roosters between two of us (and 3 dogs).  Generally a good sign of bird numbers is what you see in transit.   On the drive, and checking spots the day before season, saw 1 rooster.  While hunting put up a total of 14, with about maybe 20 hens.  Surprisingly enough, cover looked excellent, giving us optimistic thoughts, which were somewhat put to rest.  Talking to other hunters at motel, results were similar, most headed home on Sunday.  One consideration is that about 50% of crops have yet to be harvested.  Hearing of a lot more rattlesnake sightings than normal,  our only encounter came on day with the high of 52.  On the positive side, looks like great nesting cover possibilities for next year......

ARKBRDHUNTER
3 hours ago, s.davis said:

Most southern boys are too lazy to walk wild quail cover here, and too soft to handle the weather. 

If you say so. 

Randy S
14 hours ago, Kansas Big Dog said:

That shouldn't surprise anyone who's been on the Kansas Game & Fish website. They state that the quail harvest could have been significantly higher last year based on the number of birds and hunters. 

I know that 30 quail seems like a lot, especially if you feel like they came out of your backyard or just a few coveys, but 30 birds isn't even a one man possession limit. Imagine if they'd said they hunted four days and took home 128 quail!

22 hours ago, Randy S said:

I wouldn't worry too much about those guys killing a bunch of quail unless they were southern boys.

I thought I was complimenting the southern boy's shooting. Talk to the South Dakota lodges and they'll tell you the southern boys who grew up on quail slaughter their pheasants before anyone else gets a chance to shoot. 

Kansas Big Dog
40 minutes ago, Randy S said:

That shouldn't surprise anyone who's been on the Kansas Game & Fish website. They state that the quail harvest could have been significantly higher last year based on the number of birds and hunters. 

I know that 30 quail seems like a lot, especially if you feel like they came out of your backyard or just a few coveys, but 30 birds isn't even a one man possession limit. Imagine if they'd said they hunted four days and took home 128 quail!

I thought I was complimenting the southern boy's shooting. Talk to the South Dakota lodges and they'll tell you the southern boys who grew up on quail slaughter their pheasants before anyone else gets a chance to shoot. 

These guys are southern boys, Louisiana .

It upsets me that these birds are ones I would hunt in Dec and Jan. I only take 1 bird from covey even then. Ok, if the covey has any size in January, I might take 2.

ARKBRDHUNTER

I can't speak for my southern neighbors but I value quail way too much to damage a covey to overshoot it. 

watermen

Quail in the trees are some of the most fun shooting there is.   Pheasants are definately down in both of the areas I predominately hunt.  I ran into a couple fields where there was a successful hatch and had good dog work and shooting.   Spotty is an overused term with birds, but they are real spotty this year.   Quail were abundant in some areas and scarce in others.  The center of the state looked like a mini drought to me.

mccuha
On 11/14/2017 at 2:12 PM, Randy S said:
8 hours ago, s.davis said:

Maybe so  but I don’t even go to Kansas until late season when most locals think it’s to cold   Also I haven’t found many that will go as hard at it than me   When you have to drive 20 hrs. all I’ll do in a week is hunt from daylight till dark.  I’m not in the truck very much either 

charlo slim
On 11/14/2017 at 8:27 AM, Kansas Big Dog said:

I have taken the front passenger seat and rear seats out so it is one big flat area. I sleep on the passenger side, you can see my sleeping bag. I had two bird dogs and 2 pups with me and they sleep loose in the vehicle. I do allow my 6 month female Niki to sleep with me to keep me warm. She is a great snuggler. I leave the gear out side and just repack in the morning. I can leave the crates in and have them sleep in the crates, but I think we are all more comfortable sleeping loose. It is a lot of fun. Fun is good.

That is definitely hardcore, KBD, and really impressive!

But, what if you get sprayed by a skunk one of these days -- then where will those poor dogs be able to sleep??:(:D

settem
On 11/15/2017 at 9:37 AM, s.davis said:

Well, aren't you just a cheerful piece of shit...

Up North

On November 15, 2017 at 11:54 AM, Randy S said:

Heck after grouse hunting for the last months, when I go pheasent hunting I count to three before I even raise my gun!

Three !  😉