• Announcements

• Brad Eden

WELCOME NEW UJ MEMBERS   06/25/2017

It seems the word is out and UJ is enjoying a steady stream of newly Registered Members. Welcome to all of you, and we are all looking forward to your positive participation. I strongly suggest you review the Board Guidelines that have been in place since 2002. The most significant thing being that UJ is a NO POLITICS BOARD. LInk:  UJ BOARD GUIDELINES   Also UJ stays afloat mainly through Member Donations. Once a Donation is made you are placed in the Contributing Member Group with extra Priviliges. I am getting very few new Donations so hopefully this will spur that on a bit. Link:  New Members/Donations/Priviliges
SaltCityJeff

Youth Hunting Fun

SaltCityJeff

Here in Utah there are a number of youth hunts that the Department of Wildlife Resources puts on that they can participate in and enjoy. This is a hunt my son and I have participated in the past 4 years with friends. It is enjoyable because they limit the number of youth to 50 in the AM and 50 in the PM. There is one downside to it - pen raised birds - but it is Utah and wild pheasants don't come easily. Each youth, if willing to hike, regardless of a dog should have an opportunity to shoot at and harvest a bird. If you have a dog, like a big running pointer, it becomes and exercise in patience and managed chaos with all the bird scent and excitement from it all. My son, as usual, could have had his limit in the first 10 minutes but I talked him into holding until later in the afternoon when our party was nearing their limit as well. We had some "bads" in the hunt in that my pointer grabbed a few birds off of the ground when they wouldn't fly and only run. However; towards the end of the day he was still willing to point and hold so hopefully he forgets about all of that and doesn't get soft on his points. He is young (17 months) and still learning so that gave me a bit of heartburn. You can see one of the non-shoot grabs I got on video below. Anyhow - here is just a short clip I made on my phone of the days activities. For the first time ever I also ran into another UJ member here in Utah in the wild - they do exist! :)

elkhunter

Good job man!

CountryLife

Much the same experience here in Southern CA.  This will be the third season I've signed my boy up for the Jr pheasant hunts.  Since he's spent most of his time afield chasing wild quail in the forest, the planted birds offer a nice change of pace with an almost guaranteed bird or two in the bag.  Wild pheasant are only found further north.  The best part are the memories and friendships (plus dog work) found along the way.  BTW my GSP would have most likely done the exact same thing with that pheasant on the ground.  Thanks for sharing.  

Scrappy

Looks like it was a lot of fun!  Nice looking pup, too.

SaltCityJeff

Thanks everyone - sorry for the delayed response I have been off the forum for a few days working and hunting. This hunt was for sure a fun time.