• Announcements

• Brad Eden

WELCOME NEW UJ MEMBERS   06/25/2017

It seems the word is out and UJ is enjoying a steady stream of newly Registered Members. Welcome to all of you, and we are all looking forward to your positive participation. I strongly suggest you review the Board Guidelines that have been in place since 2002. The most significant thing being that UJ is a NO POLITICS BOARD. LInk:  UJ BOARD GUIDELINES   Also UJ stays afloat mainly through Member Donations. Once a Donation is made you are placed in the Contributing Member Group with extra Priviliges. I am getting very few new Donations so hopefully this will spur that on a bit. Link:  New Members/Donations/Priviliges
brushbuster

A Mid Season Review

brushbuster

Unfortunately I walk away from this mid season review feeling a little cheated.  

October, normally my favorite month of the year was unusually hot and the lack of rain kept the leaves on the trees until late into the month.

October Jungle

IMG_3168.thumb.JPG.d706f9cbcc0b4f7286c7250ec34ac9d5.JPG

Despite the summer temperatures and heavy cover we carried on and on occasion was rewarded for all the blood, and sweat.

IMG_3155.thumb.JPG.e65fba20812266c28d9dc43711833209.JPG

FieldGrade and Chloe with a hard earned Ruff

IMG_3176.thumb.JPG.6c474cfe9af46a45bcaa17560b12b7d4.JPG

Finally in early November the cold wind and rain transformed the coverts into something more enjoyable to hunt.

IMG_3167.thumb.JPG.ecfe356d45b678ef0e376ce1390f3306.JPG

The old farms exposed themselves again reminding me of the stout folk that tried to make a living on these old mountains.

IMG_3164.thumb.JPG.346fe52a69eecf73cdca97458f73d296.JPG

We took advantage of these precious days as much as possible not knowing when the snows will come and end our season.  

This spot always seems to hold a ruff or two.  The spoil pile is large and shaped in an oval very unusual in this area.

IMG_3181.thumb.JPG.ff59c119d436f515f323814155826a0b.JPG

due to various commitments I often have to stay close to home so do take some time to chase the stocked pheasants in PA.

IMG_3236.thumb.JPG.e7617dadada393970c1f1dd01e47d1cb.JPG

The birds seem quite spread out with the abundant food and we cover allot of ground for just a glimpse of ole ruff.

IMG_2418.thumb.JPG.21cef56673ec862eba3c6860d3b096d2.JPG

On occasion, bird, dog and gun come together and complete the circle

IMG_3245.thumb.JPG.eba9ea39b66dc14da04ad9c81eaa44b8.JPG

To be continued I hope.

IMG_3249.thumb.JPG.ef06b586b48213eae5be161a590a9fe6.JPG

IMG_3246.JPG

gunsrus

Dennis , I think most that hunted the North East have those same thoughts . Birds were around but tucked in to the swamps and fir allowing few if any shots . Ahhh November is here bringing with it needed precipitation and colder temps. My boys are happy to hunt without their tongues hanging out after a 10 minute run !

Steelheadfred

Awesome

hayslope

Tell us about that fine looking shotgun!!

Grifish

Very nice PE, Den.  

Thanks for taking a cripple out shooting on Sunday.

brushbuster

It’s been an unusual season and I hope the snows hold off so we can get some time in after deer season. 

Kurt you are welcome anytime it was fun to get out and shoot with the game guns.  

River19

Solid report........nice pics, good to see you out and getting some woods time......

Brad Eden

Nice report and Photo Essay.

bobman

what is a spoil pile?

nice PE pretty country thanks

brushbuster
39 minutes ago, bobman said:

what is a spoil pile?

nice PE pretty country thanks

Much of the state land I hunt was at one time land given to returning civil war soldiers as partial payment for the war.  Unfortunately these "farms" are on steep hillsides or secluded mountain valleys and are not good farm land.  Regardless those folks made a go of it and cleared and tried to farm the land they were given.  It is not unusual at all to stumble into a small group of foundations and even a family cemetery far from any maintained road.  They cleared those rocky hillsides and built what seems like endless rock walls and the leftover rocks were piled in a big pile which I have heard been called spoil piles.  

This pile however seemed different to me it seemed to be intentionally made in an oval shape with a small "head" projecting from it.  I sent pictures to a friend who thought it may actually be a Native American turtle effigy but I'm not sure and I doubt we would ever know.

its a special covert that I visit every year hoping to get a glimpse of the ruffs that now call it home.

Tilkut

Very cool when you find footprints of those who toiled to eek out a living in such hard places. I had a special place in Minnesota I would try once or twice a year. At the top of a ridge. No road or trail of any kind through the brush. But up there on top were the remains of a homestead. Just the stone walls were left of the house. Not even a scrap of wooden floor or roof. They truly earn my respect to think of the sweat and tears that went into trying to keep nature at bay while trying to farm such remote areas. And it makes me wonder what happened to get them walk away. What a travesty to have to walk away from all that effort. It must have broken many souls. 

vabirddog
2 hours ago, brushbuster said:

This pile however seemed different to me it seemed to be intentionally made in an oval shape with a small "head" projecting from it.  I sent pictures to a friend who thought it may actually be a Native American turtle effigy but I'm not sure and I doubt we would ever know.

its a special covert that I visit every year hoping to get a glimpse of the ruffs that now call it home.

The Delaware (Lenape tribe) did have a turtle clan.   Always interesting , the  things left behind.

Don Steese
3 hours ago, brushbuster said:

Much of the state land I hunt was at one time land given to returning civil war soldiers as partial payment for the war.  Unfortunately these "farms" are on steep hillsides or secluded mountain valleys and are not good farm land.  

They're commonly called "badland" farms. Not at all uncommon. I, too, hope the snows hold off. 

Ben Hong

Warms the cockles of me heart!

PartridgeCartridge

Nice Dennis. Some, if not most of those ancient walls were built by indentured servants and sometimes even slaves in the north.