• Announcements

• Brad Eden

WELCOME NEW UJ MEMBERS   06/25/2017

It seems the word is out and UJ is enjoying a steady stream of newly Registered Members. Welcome to all of you, and we are all looking forward to your positive participation. I strongly suggest you review the Board Guidelines that have been in place since 2002. The most significant thing being that UJ is a NO POLITICS BOARD. LInk:  UJ BOARD GUIDELINES   Also UJ stays afloat mainly through Member Donations. Once a Donation is made you are placed in the Contributing Member Group with extra Priviliges. I am getting very few new Donations so hopefully this will spur that on a bit. Link:  New Members/Donations/Priviliges
Snipeaholic

12 ga Federal Paper Hulls

Snipeaholic

Just seeing if anyone has any interest before they head to the dumpster. They appear to be once fired. Probably 200+ or so. I'll ship them N/C. Receiver can give Brad a few bucks for the board.IMG_20171113_184706408.thumb.jpg.1530624d5350e8a7d075b3c6d210b8d6.jpg

robp

yes yes please 

happy to pay for shipping

and give Brad something

Snipeaholic

They'll be on the way! I'll get them out in the next few days. Thanks for the offer, I've got the freight.

Scott

NECarson

Just curious... 

Why the desire for paper hulls now? 

steveziv

Easy loading, soft shooting, aromatic, vintage-y.  I like to put a few boxes into my reloading rotation from time to time.  Only down side is they need more powder.

MSchafer

I was given 3 flats a few years ago when a customer was cleaning out his old hardware store, I shoot them out of my SxS's I hadn't though about the smell until now but is noticeable and they look good in a bird picture, I'll save spent ones. if they are of value to others.

dogrunner

Nice gesture.  I gave 250 away this year too. The recipes for those are few and I don't ever buy Federal loading components, so a kid on my team wanted them. I asked him the recipe he used for them he said same as I do for all my hulls. O.o  I don't load like that so off they went.  I do like the smell but don't feel they are any softer shooting. 

Mike Connally

Years ago, back when I started shooting registered skeet, the trap shooters were all over those shells. They said they produced less recoil. I don’t know how to jive that with the laws of physics but it was the universal opinion. 

BlacknTan

I recall the same.

I shot lot's of papers, and loved them. I actually felt the same way about the effect on recoil as they did. Mind over matter? I know the laws of physics cannot be challenged,buuuut, I do believe there is a difference between recoil, and perceived recoil.

Perhaps it's like the placebo effect... If one thinks it works, than, it works!

In any case.. the odor or a spent paper shell is nearly an aphrodisiac... it harkens back to an old, and perhaps better, era...

Harry

Estate shotgun shells-plastic hulls and made by Federal-will give you the same smell.

dogrunner
24 minutes ago, Harry said:

Estate shotgun shells-plastic hulls and made by Federal-will give you the same smell.

Close but not the same, I think it’s the powder they use in the shells 

Harry

Correct, but pretty close. Especially on a day with some moisture in the air. On occasion have thought perhaps they did it on purpose. For myself personally, the Federal paper smell gets old rather quickly.

Cold Iron

Couple of years ago a lot of the trapshooters were lamenting the lack of availability of Federal Papers and talked Roger at Monsoor's Sports in La Crosse, Wi. into ordering a bunch of them. Of course very few were willing to pay for the premium price and they sat there for a long time. 

37704569304_d0c0c69f93_b.jpg

25/06

Their is nothing like the smell of Federal paper shells.

A friend of mine toured the factory in Minnesota and said the machines the ladies were running to make paper shells looked positively ancient and

they would end production soon. (This was a few years ago.)

I bought some RIO papers and they smell like Black Cat fire crackers not pleasant as all.

When I was a kid I very seldom got to fire any factory loaded shells... I was envious of my friends who were shooting factory shells!

To my 12yr old eyes the coolest looking shells were paper Federals and the high brass purple Federal 16ga. shells the neighbor kid had for his 870.

Hal Standish
13 hours ago, steveziv said:

Easy loading, soft shooting, aromatic, vintage-y.  I like to put a few boxes into my reloading rotation from time to time.  Only down side is they need more powder.

Great hull, lots of flexibility in recipes from ultra light to extra heavy. Love reloading them, have about 500. Great recipes from Tite-wad to Long shot powders and many in between