• Announcements

• Brad Eden

WELCOME NEW UJ MEMBERS   06/25/2017

It seems the word is out and UJ is enjoying a steady stream of newly Registered Members. Welcome to all of you, and we are all looking forward to your positive participation. I strongly suggest you review the Board Guidelines that have been in place since 2002. The most significant thing being that UJ is a NO POLITICS BOARD. LInk:  UJ BOARD GUIDELINES   Also UJ stays afloat mainly through Member Donations. Once a Donation is made you are placed in the Contributing Member Group with extra Priviliges. I am getting very few new Donations so hopefully this will spur that on a bit. Link:  New Members/Donations/Priviliges
Snipeaholic

12 ga Federal Paper Hulls

Harry

Here are some papers. Peters 3in 16ga. Repeat, Repeat---- Already posted on the 16 ga thread.

IMG_1628.jpg

IMG_1629.jpg

robp

I like to mess around with different hulls. If properly loaded the gold metal federals reload look like new. The trick is to use a hull conditioner. I made one with a soldering iron and a turned down chunk of aluminium threaded to the soldering gun. The plug heats up and in inserted into the empty hull it heats up the wax and brings it to the surface.  There are commercial manufactured  hull conditioners as well I have a Texan the heats up the hull,resizes and de-primes. I believe  MEC also made one at some point. The other trick is to use a cone crimp starter. 

The bad news is you don't get alot of reloads out of a paper hull I stick to 2 

Greg Hartman

The Federal papers smell reallygood.  So do the 1950's/1960's vintage WW papers I use in my old 16 bore M12. I have some Spanish-made papers in 12 gauge (called Diana) that don't have any good smell - just the same smell as any modern empty hull.  Thus, I think the glorious smell must be the powder rather than the paper hull itself.

BlacknTan

I've reloaded probably every hull I've ever shot. I used to take pride in having the most ragged looking shells on the field. I kept on reloading long after my smarter squadmates would have given them up for dead!

One not only pays a premium up front with Federal papers, but also in reloadability. After about three reloadings, they start to develop tiny holes just above the brass. So, the paper of the hull, and the paper basewad, is burning to an extent... how could it not?

I'm going to give the 20 ga. paper RST's a try, and see if the old familiar odor is present..

Bloodhound

I load a box of my Federal Papers every year.  I use them on one of my grouse or pheasant hunts...it just adds to the experience and I love loading them into the gun and picking up the empties.  Its a nostalgia thing.

kgb

Paper Federals used to be a way to keep my reloads separate, I used them for second shots at Trap doubles. One day I found a reload using 1oz of shot and Bullseye powder, was apparently a big thing at one time. I couldn't find regular Federal 209 primers and substituted their 209A. I don't switch primers any more, some of those rounds launched the tops of the shells down the bore. Went back to Green Dot.  

Still have part of a box of 16ga Federal purple paper 1oz 6s. I try to make them the first shot at chickens each year, worked again in 2017. 

dogrunner
6 hours ago, Cold Iron said:

Couple of years ago a lot of the trapshooters were lamenting the lack of availability of Federal Papers and talked Roger at Monsoor's Sports in La Crosse, Wi. into ordering a bunch of them. Of course very few were willing to pay for the premium price and they sat there for a long time. 

37704569304_d0c0c69f93_b.jpg

Yep there too pricey, so are the Gold medals if you can find them. 

Marc Ret

Although not Federals, I picked up a box of these paper 16s a few years ago.  Although a 3 1/4Dr , 1 1/8oz of 7 1/2s is a bit more than I typically use, I've been saving them for a special occasion grouse hunt. I'm hoping in the next few seasons I can take a trip or two outside of PA for grouse. Perhaps one or two at the beginning of those hunts would be a nice way to use them. 

image.jpeg

thirdbite

Shot a lot of those Federals in the 60's and reloaded them into the 70's.  I believe they cost $1.25 a box.  Also shot and reloaded a lot of 20 ga. Montgomery Ward Federals in the same time period.  They too were between $1 and $2 a box. The smell was wonderful.  My favorite papers though were the Alcans in the 50's - bright shiny colors, the heavy loads I remember the brass as almost half the length of the shell,,  blue, purple, red and a medium green color that was my favorite.

MSchafer
2 hours ago, kgb said:

Paper Federals used to be a way to keep my reloads separate, I used them for second shots at Trap doubles. One day I found a reload using 1oz of shot and Bullseye powder, was apparently a big thing at one time. I couldn't find regular Federal 209 primers and substituted their 209A. I don't switch primers any more, some of those rounds launched the tops of the shells down the bore. Went back to Green Dot.  

Still have part of a box of 16ga Federal purple paper 1oz 6s. I try to make them the first shot at chickens each year, worked again in 2017. 

the first person that took an interest in learning me to shoot was a top trap shooter and he always claimed shooting doubles that paper hulls didn't "wobble" on the way out I never understood what that meant but he won a lot of events locally.