• Announcements

• Brad Eden

WELCOME NEW UJ MEMBERS   06/25/2017

It seems the word is out and UJ is enjoying a steady stream of newly Registered Members. Welcome to all of you, and we are all looking forward to your positive participation. I strongly suggest you review the Board Guidelines that have been in place since 2002. The most significant thing being that UJ is a NO POLITICS BOARD. LInk:  UJ BOARD GUIDELINES   Also UJ stays afloat mainly through Member Donations. Once a Donation is made you are placed in the Contributing Member Group with extra Priviliges. I am getting very few new Donations so hopefully this will spur that on a bit. Link:  New Members/Donations/Priviliges
juneboy1

Southwest Kansas

juneboy1

I decided to name an area in the state, if you hotspot it for pheasant you are a damn fool. Three of us (SetterChick, a friend and I) hunted the weekend in a fifty mile circle that last year had really good number of pheasants. We shot at two in two days of hunting with high quality dogs. We each walked about twelve miles each day in really good bird country. We didn't see much more than that. The weather was perfect so that was not a factor. The reports we are getting from the Rolling Plains are in Texas and southwest Oklahoma are also discouraging. I hate to be a downer but it isn't a year to make a long drive to the land of crop circles and sandburrs. 

F9E6E880-A5A6-4ABC-B8A2-ED82BA54125F.jpeg

33216F5F-58FD-4B4A-8A20-79F609D8F263.jpeg

DTB

Cap'n looking great!

bobman

Boykins really are beautiful 

thanks ks for the advice it may save me some driving

Randy S

Over the past several years I've branched out in states and species finally believing that I have enough experience to always be able to find birds somewhere and now I've realized that's most probably false. Just how far from home does a guy have to get? I'm adding AZ and maybe even CA to the list this winter. I don't believe I've shot fewer birds in the early season in the past 45 years. 

dogrunner

I think the dog is thinking "screw that" I'm staying in the truck because this spot is not Hot. 

Kansas Big Dog

I had the same experience in NW KS, hunted 3 days and never shot at a rooster. I maybe saw 3 juveniles along the road. Most all of the roosters I saw in the field that flushed wild, maybe half a dozen in three days, were old birds. I think the gang bangers were killing a few of these and a lot of quail. Kinda sad when you hear 4 or 5 guys shooting pheasant loads at a covey of quail.

Duckn66

The good thing about these gang bangers is that they usually "hunt" one time a year (opening weekend) and either have no dogs or maybe one or two that hunt once a year and then are confined to a dirty kennel the other 363 days.  And they can't hit the side of a barn either.

Bad thing is they have absolutely no etiquette and are normally a bunch of A holes as you ran into.  

I really wish the dept. of tourism in this state (Ks) would start telling it how it really is instead of sugar coating it and inflating the bird numbers.  People come out with high expectations of seeing birds in every field flushing right and left.  If I were an out of state hunter and spent all that money and time on maybe a once a year trip only to find no, or very few birds I'd be a little upset to say the least.  

I know it's not all about killing numbers of birds but it is nice to have something to show for the effort and funds put out.  But for Kansas and most other states it's more about making that almighty dollar than telling the absolute truth.  

I honestly don't think that we will ever return to the glory days of pheasant hunting here.  Too much quality habitat is gone.  

I live in the NE part of the state.  Back in the 70s and 80s I could go basically out my back door and start hunting pheasants.  Albeit not the numbers out west but in a days hunt it was fairly easy to come home with a limit of birds.  And when you said you were pheasant hunting people didn't look at you like you were half crazy as they do now.  

Sage Hen

Looking at the bright side this is the first year I don't regret the fact that I usually can't travel much to hunt. With all the reports of low numbers, my local spots are looking pretty sweet, even though Idahos season is far from a banner year in my area. A lesson for me to be grateful for what I have in my own back yard.

Kansas Big Dog
2 hours ago, Duckn66 said:

But for Kansas and most other states it's more about making that almighty dollar than telling the absolute truth.

Well, some of that is true. According to these statistics, from 2015, residents were about 50% of the number of hunting license purchasers in KS and paid about $1 million. Non-resident hunters were the other 50% of hunting license purchasers and paid $4 million. Four times the revenue for the same number of licenses.

http://www.ipsr.ku.edu/ksdata/ksah/parks/13park3.pdf

john mcg
6 minutes ago, Kansas Big Dog said:

Well, some of that is true. According to these statistics, from 2015, residents were about 50% of the number of hunting license purchasers in KS and paid about $1 million. Non-resident hunters were the other 50% of hunting license purchasers and paid $4 million. Four times the revenue for the same number of licenses.

http://www.ipsr.ku.edu/ksdata/ksah/parks/13park3.pdf

Lots of incentive built into that reality.

Wow!

mccuha

I see and here this for a lot of states. The once a year guys come out and shoot and pray a lot.  After a couple weeks they are done. I have also noticed that ks along with several other states are advertising big time to get out of staters to come and hunt there state. 

Duckn66

Interesting.  Had no idea that was available